Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Flowmaster 40 lower performance?

Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
First time Taco
xguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nice

Name: Cory
xguntherc's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow Flowmaster 40 lower performance?

Hey guys, I got a great deal on a Flowmaster 40 series offset in/out and was hoping a few of you guys could give me more details.

My truck has the stock exhaust, and I'll probably be throwing this on in the next few days. I've read a few reports that it causes performance issues, or basically just doesn't add any power or benefit of any kind, other than sound.

Any details, suggestions, advice on install you guys can give. Haven't read much about flowmaster (or exhaust) yet so don't know exactly what to expect but didn't wanna pass on the deal.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Mufflers are pretty much for sound only. none of them will give you a noticeable improvement, like maybe plus/minus 2 horsepower.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
dust ...
chris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Chris
chris66's Tacoma Gallery
i don't think you'll notice the loss as its probably not significant enough to REALLY notice...

anyways just have it installed in the factory muffler location and some people including myself have them so they are installed vertically or im not sure how to describe it but so the long flat sides are perpendicular to the ground ?

i also have it dumped before the rear axle with a turndown but you can leave it how it is or however youd like
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
MEMO CAMPOS is on a distinguished road

MEMO CAMPOS's Tacoma Gallery
I had a super 44 coming from a 18"
Magnaflow and it sucked! Therefore I went back to a MF 12" magnapack and did notice it compliment my truck's power band a lot better. FM's in my opinion are more suited for american pushrod engines. Def. a peppier truck with my MF!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
First time Taco
xguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris66 View Post
i don't think you'll notice the loss as its probably not significant enough to REALLY notice...

anyways just have it installed in the factory muffler location and some people including myself have them so they are installed vertically or im not sure how to describe it but so the long flat sides are perpendicular to the ground ?

i also have it dumped before the rear axle with a turndown but you can leave it how it is or however youd like
Before the rear axle, not after? I was thinking of putting a little tip on it for looks, maybe I won't though. And Perpendicular.. as on long ways. The long ends going up/down? I thought it would be flat.. what's a turndown. haha I'm new
Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
dust ...
chris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Chris
chris66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xguntherc View Post
Before the rear axle, not after? I was thinking of putting a little tip on it for looks, maybe I won't though. And Perpendicular.. as on long ways. The long ends going up/down? I thought it would be flat.. what's a turndown. haha I'm new
I'll just post a pic of my exhaust setup tomorrow
Old 01-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
First time Taco

please do
Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys, I got a great deal on a Flowmaster 40 series offset in/out and was hoping a few of you guys could give me more details.

My truck has the stock exhaust, and I'll probably be throwing this on in the next few days. I've read a few reports that it causes performance issues, or basically just doesn't add any power or benefit of any kind, other than sound.

Any details, suggestions, advice on install you guys can give. Haven't read much about flowmaster (or exhaust) yet so don't know exactly what to expect but didn't wanna pass on the deal.

Thanks!
had a 40 series........it rusted from the inside out in less than a year, droned horribly on the freeway, and caused the truck to shift more on small grades.

installed a magnaflow.......less shifting/hunting on small grades, no rusting, no droning.

the chokemaster sounded great at idle, but anything above 45mph droned and it wasnt worth the headache.

Either way, id wouldnt expect ANY gains from a muffler in terms of HP.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
First time Taco

I've heard a few sound clips on YT.. but I'm curious to hear this freeway or 45+ sound you guys speak up. The tires are loud enough on the freeway. I don't want the muffler to be too bad.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've heard a few sound clips on YT.. but I'm curious to hear this freeway or 45+ sound you guys speak up. The tires are loud enough on the freeway. I don't want the muffler to be too bad.
maybe u having a double cab will make it tolerable.........Id rather smash my head into the window at every exit than to ever run a 40 series again tho (access cab)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
First time Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Just remember, any time the exhaust is dumped under the truck, it will drone. A lot more than if it is made to exit from under the truck.
So the image above will make it drone... or won't? My tires will probably cover any noise, but I'd rather do it the right way with the option for less sound if possible.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the super 40 delta flow and it sounded decent. Then i added long tube headers. Lost some in the low end but gained in the upper above 2700. And the overall sound Is what my friends compare it to an aftermarket exhaust on a V6 mustang. Only deeper.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
most all Flowmaster mufflers will cause a power loss. on average, I see about 5 horsepower loss with a Flowmaster muffler.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
most all Flowmaster mufflers will cause a power loss. on average, I see about 5 horsepower loss with a Flowmaster muffler.
Not to mention the annoying drone they have
Old 01-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #17

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was dumped it the factory location and still droned.

Again, access cab tho.............agreed, if its dumped under the truck it will ddrone even worse than if routed out the side. The bed simply creates a resonating surface to compound the mufflers drone.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
taco3solo10s is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
taco3solo10s's Tacoma Gallery
I have a flowmaster super 40 single chamber muffler on my truck and it sounds great. Only thing its loud in the morning while its warming up.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #19

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco3solo10s View Post
I have a flowmaster super 40 single chamber muffler on my truck and it sounds great. Only thing its loud in the morning while its warming up.
Maybe its not as bad on the 3.4?

Dunno
Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #20
taco3solo10s is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
taco3solo10s's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i don't know either. but it sounds great on the 3.4. not sure about any other motors.