Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Supercharger Dealer Install Times/Costs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
bowhun2r [OP] bowhun2r is offline
Member
bowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant future
 
bowhun2r's Avatar
Name: Scott
Joined: Nov 2010, #46548
Location: Steeler Nation
Gender: Dude
Posts: 67
bowhun2r's Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger Dealer Install Times/Costs

Hi guys,

Finally did one of those things that you keep telling yourself you will do. TRDparts4u will be shipping this week to my home

I had a 2001 3.4 S/C installed at my local dealer and they charged $800. I'm asking for anyone who got their S/C (2nd gen) installed at a dealership what they were charged. Was it set price? Or time and materials? Also the state as I'm sure my dealership will ask.

I read one post where the guy (2012 white TRD Sport with leather, sun roof and S/C recently installed) paid a set price for $750 in Ohio. Sorry, I closed the link and I can't remember his name.

I can't do the install myself and would prefer keeping the 5/60 warranty on the 2011 truck.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
bowhun2r [OP] bowhun2r is offline
Member
bowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant future
 
bowhun2r's Avatar
Name: Scott
Joined: Nov 2010, #46548
Location: Steeler Nation
Gender: Dude
Posts: 67
bowhun2r's Tacoma Gallery
OMG..

Local dealer just gave me a quote for install....$1750...and yes they've never seen one before.

Please note the stealership: http://www.daytoyota.com/index.htm and stay clear.

Going to start calling the other dealerships in town. Worst case I can drive over to Akron and use fafafahey's dealership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
bowhun2r [OP] bowhun2r is offline
Member
bowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant future
 
bowhun2r's Avatar
Name: Scott
Joined: Nov 2010, #46548
Location: Steeler Nation
Gender: Dude
Posts: 67
bowhun2r's Tacoma Gallery
Wow.. What a difference if you just have some time and call the local dealers. Spoke to a Toyota dealer in the North of Pittsburgh and they quoted me... $500. They also said they have installed 4 Tacoma S/C's and 2 Tundra S/C's.

$1750 from one dealer and $500 from another Toyota dealer. Blows my mind.

BTW: http://www.northhillstoyota.com/service-index.htm

North Hills is the service department which quoted me the $500. Looks like I'll be spending a day in the North Hills of Pittsburgh.

And FWIW: http://rohrichtoyota.com/default.aspx quoted me $1850... And they said they've never seen one. The service manager also went on to explain they will need to put additional parts (ie: clamps, hoses....). Once I started hearing that I kindly said goodbye.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
bowhun2r [OP] bowhun2r is offline
Member
bowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant future
 
bowhun2r's Avatar
Name: Scott
Joined: Nov 2010, #46548
Location: Steeler Nation
Gender: Dude
Posts: 67
bowhun2r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhun2r View Post
Wow.. What a difference if you just have some time and call the local dealers. Spoke to a Toyota dealer in the North of Pittsburgh and they quoted me... $500. They also said they have installed 4 Tacoma S/C's and 2 Tundra S/C's.

$1750 from one dealer and $500 from another Toyota dealer. Blows my mind.

BTW: http://www.northhillstoyota.com/service-index.htm

North Hills is the service department which quoted me the $500. Looks like I'll be spending a day in the North Hills of Pittsburgh.

And FWIW: http://rohrichtoyota.com/default.aspx quoted me $1850... And they said they've never seen one. The service manager also went on to explain they will need to put additional parts (ie: clamps, hoses....). Once I started hearing that I kindly said goodbye.


Well....I don't want to say bait and switch...but I will. I arrived this morning promptly at 7AM for my S/C installation. I was quoted on the phone it would be $500 and one day of work. I can work anywhere I have an Internet connection so I planned on spending the day at the dealership. I knew something was wrong when I heard the two service guys argue about my truck. I could overhear "You better tell him"..."You didn't quote enough hours"...I eventually just came over to the service desk and asked what was wrong. He initially said the cost would be a bit more. A bit...like $100 bucks. I said no big deal and sat back down. About twenty minutes later the guy "Kevin" came back to me and started the conversation with "I apologize". Not good. He then went on to say the Toyota computer had the time wrong and it's really a 10-12 hour job and it will be $1200. Unreal. At this point I just wanted to strangle the guy and told him what a bunch of BS and isn't this illegal?? I did get to speak with the tech and he had just completed an S/C install last week. He told me I should take it to management and told me it will take him a solid day and half. Oh well....I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'm not sure I should be totally pissed...Happy I have an S/C...or just happy it's done with.

I did get a 10% coupon off. I spun up their website on my laptop and showed him a service special for 10% off any service if I give my email address to them. So in the end...1080 plus tax. Lesson learned and whatever happened to customer service?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
brian's Avatar
Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
Joined: Apr 2009, #16011
Location: Roseville, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 7,557
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Tell them you have another dealership doing it for that price but you'd rather not have to drive. It works.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Senior Member
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
Joined: Apr 2011, #54683
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 287
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhun2r View Post
Well....I don't want to say bait and switch...but I will. I arrived this morning promptly at 7AM for my S/C installation. I was quoted on the phone it would be $500 and one day of work. I can work anywhere I have an Internet connection so I planned on spending the day at the dealership. I knew something was wrong when I heard the two service guys argue about my truck. I could overhear "You better tell him"..."You didn't quote enough hours"...I eventually just came over to the service desk and asked what was wrong. He initially said the cost would be a bit more. A bit...like $100 bucks. I said no big deal and sat back down. About twenty minutes later the guy "Kevin" came back to me and started the conversation with "I apologize". Not good. He then went on to say the Toyota computer had the time wrong and it's really a 10-12 hour job and it will be $1200. Unreal. At this point I just wanted to strangle the guy and told him what a bunch of BS and isn't this illegal?? I did get to speak with the tech and he had just completed an S/C install last week. He told me I should take it to management and told me it will take him a solid day and half. Oh well....I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'm not sure I should be totally pissed...Happy I have an S/C...or just happy it's done with.

I did get a 10% coupon off. I spun up their website on my laptop and showed him a service special for 10% off any service if I give my email address to them. So in the end...1080 plus tax. Lesson learned and whatever happened to customer service?
Another stealership nightmare. $1100 maybe isn't too bad. IDK I have a SC on my wishlist and I was quoted $1700 for install by my local idiots. I feel confident I could do but would like someone with experience (on SC install) to assist. You would still have to have it reflashed by the dealer. Anyone know how much that is? What did the kit cost BTW? Congrats on getting it done. How do you like it? stupid question More important you have to run super right and how about MPG (after you run a few tanks and are not getting into the boost all the time - which we know thats going to happen)? IE if you drive normal does it suck more fuel?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
bowhun2r [OP] bowhun2r is offline
Member
bowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant future
 
bowhun2r's Avatar
Name: Scott
Joined: Nov 2010, #46548
Location: Steeler Nation
Gender: Dude
Posts: 67
bowhun2r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Taco View Post
Another stealership nightmare. $1100 maybe isn't too bad. IDK I have a SC on my wishlist and I was quoted $1700 for install by my local idiots. I feel confident I could do but would like someone with experience (on SC install) to assist. You would still have to have it reflashed by the dealer. Anyone know how much that is? What did the kit cost BTW? Congrats on getting it done. How do you like it? stupid question More important you have to run super right and how about MPG (after you run a few tanks and are not getting into the boost all the time - which we know thats going to happen)? IE if you drive normal does it suck more fuel?

Unfortunately, the nightmare didn't end when I went to pickup the truck on Tuesday. I specifically asked the tech to ensure that the coolant hoses were secure and had zero leaks. He assured me after driving it nearly 20 miles and checking everything that it didn't leak and I was ready to take it home. So I drove it home and parked it in the garage. It was later in the evening so I waited until the morning to really check it out in the garage. When I went into my garage to pop the hood I noticed about a quart of coolant on the floor I started checking the hoses and I saw where it was coming from. The bottom (and top) ports on the coolant reservoir were leaking. They were secured with pressure clamps. I had a screw clamp in my work shop so I secured the hose with a screw clamp and it stopped the leak. I then had to use my wife's 4runner to pick up another gallon of the "super pink" stuff at the dealership (another $28). Refilled the reservoir and then I started really looking over the work. My fan shroud was missing the top two bolts. It's being held on by the plastic clips. You can easily flap it back-n-forth. I then notice a few washers on my skid plate. Unreal....Just about this time the phone rings and it's a survey of the dealership (since this was my first trip there). What a coincidence...The person was actually very polite and stated more than once this will go to upper management. Besides the bait-n-switch price issue, I had coolant leaking, bolts missing, extra washers on my skid plate. The coolant plumbing could have been neater as well (but it is functional). I got the Service director of the dealership and after I just explained everything told me he would like to make amends. He was going to send a tech out to my house (it's about 1.5 hours away with traffic). I told him I'd rather not have the techs touch the truck anymore and I'm more than capable of putting screws back. In the end, he is shipping the bolts, another gallan of pink stuff (which I will return and get my money back at the other dealership), a free oil change (I use amsoil and like I'd ever drive way out there for an oil change), a free buff-n-wax (I'll use this as a regift for someone), a plea to give them a second chance for my next vehicle purchase. I will say he went out of his way to help make up for all the mistakes. He also said the service guy quoting me prices is on his way out (which is NMP, and he still represents the dealership). On the subject of the leaking clamps..I explained to him I had a copy of the install instructions and it is clearly printed as well as pictures in the guide explaining to use the screw clamps on the reservoir and the pressure clamps on the in/out ports on the SC (mine are reversed). Apparently Toyota had a reason for using the screw clamps and I can tell you the pressure clamps were not sealing the hose to the port. I then told him for their next SC install the tech should read the manual (I wanted to say RTFM, but I controlled myself).

Now that it's not leaking and I had a chance to drive it, I really enjoy it. We have a very large hill on a highway going towards my house. Cops have vascar on the side going down but nothing going up the hill. I caught myself laughing last night when I punched it going up the hill. I can't say before having the SC (and the hundreds of times going up that hill) I ever laughed. That sums up how I feel about it I had an SC in my 2000 and that felt more power sooner than this one does. If you drive it easy and keep it below about 2200 the SC really doesn't kick in (and my milage is showing that). It's only at about 2500 and up that the invisible hand at your back is pushing you and your face starts to crack a smile.

My tires where the biggest hit to my MPG so far. I filled up my tank and reset my trip meter so I'll post what I'm seeing later this week. I also realize the ECU will continue to learn so my MPG may get better after a few tanks.

None of the dealers would match trdparts4u's price. I got the SC and fit kit delivered for $3890. I've purchased a lot of items from trdparts4u and I'm very happy with their service and prices. For 5K (with stealership installation) it's a pretty steep price compared to the 3.4 SC kit. This is my third second gen (2005, 2009, 2011) truck and every since the 05 I've always told myself I would get an SC. Something always came up, kids need something, house needs something, spent the money on lift kits and tires, kids are eating more...you get the idea. I pulled the trigger when I finally had saved up a 100 here and there for the past 2 years and did the bucket list. I'm not getting any younger and when I laughed out loud to myself last night going up the hill, it made the wait worth it.

Good luck with your build. This site has some of the best advice/info on our trucks anywhere.

Scott
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
B11 B11 is offline
Senior Member
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Dec 2012, #93592
Location: N.E. Wa.
Gender: Male
Posts: 244
B11's Tacoma Gallery
Scott

Please update us as you get more miles on your SC fitted taco. I'm impatiently waiting for TRD to make the 2013 SC kits available. Have you had any thoughts to putting the URD pulley on??? Sounds like you have a new found love for your taco. I'm jealous!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Member
Big O is on a distinguished road
 
Big O's Avatar
Name: Owen
Joined: Sep 2010, #43846
Location: Dallas , Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 84
Big O's Tacoma Gallery
Thank U

[QUOTE=bowhun2r;6305269]
Thank U for the best, most informative post I've ever read on this site.
Have U done any thinking about Proformance Computers ?
Owen
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
Senior Member
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
Joined: Apr 2011, #54683
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 287
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhun2r View Post
Unfortunately, the nightmare didn't end when I went to pickup the truck on Tuesday. I specifically asked the tech to ensure that the coolant hoses were secure and had zero leaks. He assured me after driving it nearly 20 miles and checking everything that it didn't leak and I was ready to take it home. So I drove it home and parked it in the garage. It was later in the evening so I waited until the morning to really check it out in the garage. When I went into my garage to pop the hood I noticed about a quart of coolant on the floor I started checking the hoses and I saw where it was coming from. The bottom (and top) ports on the coolant reservoir were leaking. They were secured with pressure clamps. I had a screw clamp in my work shop so I secured the hose with a screw clamp and it stopped the leak. I then had to use my wife's 4runner to pick up another gallon of the "super pink" stuff at the dealership (another $28). Refilled the reservoir and then I started really looking over the work. My fan shroud was missing the top two bolts. It's being held on by the plastic clips. You can easily flap it back-n-forth. I then notice a few washers on my skid plate. Unreal....Just about this time the phone rings and it's a survey of the dealership (since this was my first trip there). What a coincidence...The person was actually very polite and stated more than once this will go to upper management. Besides the bait-n-switch price issue, I had coolant leaking, bolts missing, extra washers on my skid plate. The coolant plumbing could have been neater as well (but it is functional). I got the Service director of the dealership and after I just explained everything told me he would like to make amends. He was going to send a tech out to my house (it's about 1.5 hours away with traffic). I told him I'd rather not have the techs touch the truck anymore and I'm more than capable of putting screws back. In the end, he is shipping the bolts, another gallan of pink stuff (which I will return and get my money back at the other dealership), a free oil change (I use amsoil and like I'd ever drive way out there for an oil change), a free buff-n-wax (I'll use this as a regift for someone), a plea to give them a second chance for my next vehicle purchase. I will say he went out of his way to help make up for all the mistakes. He also said the service guy quoting me prices is on his way out (which is NMP, and he still represents the dealership). On the subject of the leaking clamps..I explained to him I had a copy of the install instructions and it is clearly printed as well as pictures in the guide explaining to use the screw clamps on the reservoir and the pressure clamps on the in/out ports on the SC (mine are reversed). Apparently Toyota had a reason for using the screw clamps and I can tell you the pressure clamps were not sealing the hose to the port. I then told him for their next SC install the tech should read the manual (I wanted to say RTFM, but I controlled myself).

Now that it's not leaking and I had a chance to drive it, I really enjoy it. We have a very large hill on a highway going towards my house. Cops have vascar on the side going down but nothing going up the hill. I caught myself laughing last night when I punched it going up the hill. I can't say before having the SC (and the hundreds of times going up that hill) I ever laughed. That sums up how I feel about it I had an SC in my 2000 and that felt more power sooner than this one does. If you drive it easy and keep it below about 2200 the SC really doesn't kick in (and my milage is showing that). It's only at about 2500 and up that the invisible hand at your back is pushing you and your face starts to crack a smile.

My tires where the biggest hit to my MPG so far. I filled up my tank and reset my trip meter so I'll post what I'm seeing later this week. I also realize the ECU will continue to learn so my MPG may get better after a few tanks.

None of the dealers would match trdparts4u's price. I got the SC and fit kit delivered for $3890. I've purchased a lot of items from trdparts4u and I'm very happy with their service and prices. For 5K (with stealership installation) it's a pretty steep price compared to the 3.4 SC kit. This is my third second gen (2005, 2009, 2011) truck and every since the 05 I've always told myself I would get an SC. Something always came up, kids need something, house needs something, spent the money on lift kits and tires, kids are eating more...you get the idea. I pulled the trigger when I finally had saved up a 100 here and there for the past 2 years and did the bucket list. I'm not getting any younger and when I laughed out loud to myself last night going up the hill, it made the wait worth it.

Good luck with your build. This site has some of the best advice/info on our trucks anywhere.

Scott
Way to stick it to them! DIY FTW. I'm just not 100% confident on a SC install? First question to service would be how have they done? Demand the best tech or forget it. Good to know you got it squared away and are happy. Yea I got a wife and kids so too. Also some family is Tyrone / Altoona PA BTW (Steeler fans) It's tough to drop another 5k into it but sounds like it is worth it. Great post!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Senior Member
fafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
fafafahey's Avatar
Name: Jim
Joined: Dec 2010, #48202
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 424
fafafahey's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to fafafahey
Scott, awesome write up. Sorry though you had so many issues. My truck seemed like it finally "learned" after 1,000 miles. It is definitely enjoyable to drive!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
Senior Member
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
Joined: Jan 2013, #94758
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 300
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
When you contact the dealer for the TRD SC for cost of the SC and installation, do you just call the service department and request a quote or do you go thru sales?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
bowhun2r [OP] bowhun2r is offline
Member
bowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant futurebowhun2r has a brilliant future
 
bowhun2r's Avatar
Name: Scott
Joined: Nov 2010, #46548
Location: Steeler Nation
Gender: Dude
Posts: 67
bowhun2r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
When you contact the dealer for the TRD SC for cost of the SC and installation, do you just call the service department and request a quote or do you go thru sales?

Correct. Ask for the service department and get a quote for the labor. Also include about 45 bucks of coolant since they will drain the rad (my dealer didn't save it and just used new pink stuff). I would call at least 3-5 dealers as the price was all over the place for me. I tried doing everything correctly...spoke with multiple dealerships, actually spoke with the tech who did my install and felt comfortable he understood the procedure, spoke with the service manager and agreed on the price. You can see how that turned out But it's the best I could do and you should try and do the same. I believe fafafahey worked out a deal with his dealership to price match trdparts4u and to have it installed there. You can always try that approach as well.


Quick update on my SC. The service manager never did send me my bolts, coupon for oil change, coupon for buff n wax, gallon of pink stuff...I did however receive a check in the amount of $100 with a memo on the check saying "Customer Satisfaction". I'm more satisfied with that than the other offer. I still need the two bolts though... I currently have the fan shroud zip tied to the radiator to keep it from flapping in the wind. That sounds so sad, especially when I spent a grand to have the service performed. The other thing I was worried about was HGLR (high gear low rpm) pings. On the 3.4 SC (I didn't have the 7th injector but I did have a Split Second timing box installed) the engine would ping and I always had to hit the accelerator to have the tranny downshift. I went up my hill multiple times having the engine in high gear and hovering right at 1100 RPM. Not a single ping. Apparently TRD figured out the issue and with the larger injectors and ECU flash it seems to have fixed this particular issue. Probably hurts MPG a bit, but doesn't rattle the engine to death. Very happy with not hearing any pings and very happy with the performance to date.

I've signed up for fuelly and will put that in my signature as soon as I need a fill-up. I did put fuel in but it was a mix with SC and without SC. That tank averaged 15.8 MPG and I chalk it up to the ECU being flashed and I'm sure the dealer was not taking it easy during the 20 plus mile test drive.

Not sure when I'll need the next fill up as I'm headed to India for 2 weeks When I do fuelly will start charting the MPG's and I'm thinking/hoping it should be in the same vicinity prior to SC which was 16.8 on avg. (mainly all city driving). I'm also in need of new tires. My Nitto's are probably hurting my MPG's more so than the SC. Since having the SC installed they are getting a little squirrely (sp?) and they have become noticeably louder (which is normal). I'm thinking of the Silent Armors for the next set which are slightly less aggressive and will help MPG's as well (plus the cab will be quiet again minus the whirl coming from the SC).

Good luck on finding a place.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
Senior Member
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
Joined: Jan 2013, #94758
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 300
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #17
"Senior", Senior Member
keninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
keninsb's Avatar
Name: Ken
Joined: Jul 2013, #108728
Location: Goleta, CA
Age: 50
Gender: Guy
Posts: 737
keninsb's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I went to the local dealership and they wanted $1400 + parts (coolant, etc.) for the install. Bastards. I checked another shop here in town that they agreed to install for $800 and they would install the exhaust at no charge. I was going to have them install, but then some other members here on the forum (BowHun2r, Jefes Taco) advised that it would void my warranty, which turned out to be true. Anyway, after calling all dealerships within a 60 mile radius, I found one that would do it for $950. I told the local dealership hoping that they would match the price, and they said they could come down to $1200. Bastards. Finally I sent them a strongly worded email to the service manager of the local dealership advising that they had just lost a 30+ year customer. Within an hour, the service manager and a service writer called from Toyota. They finally agreed to match the price and were very apologetic. So I am scheduled for the install on Monday. Can't wait.
Thanks again to BowHun2r and Jefes Taco for advising me on this issue.
BTW, I am planning on adding a boost gauge and was curious if anyone knew what plumbing/hardware was required to tap into the SC?
Ken
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
Senior Member
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Director of Wing Inspections
Name: Chris
Joined: Oct 2013, #114034
Location: Patrick AFB, FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 632
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
I currently have the S/C itch and I'm working with the local dealer to help me scratch it! They can give the parts to me at cost, so they claim, but not match Sparks or Shop TRD... Of course that means paying tax as well, but they are working on the best price they can for installation and parts together.
The Service Director is working out the deal and will call me when he has some real numbers.
I was expecting a call on Friday but didn't get it. I am trying to be patient...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #19
"Senior", Senior Member
keninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
keninsb's Avatar
Name: Ken
Joined: Jul 2013, #108728
Location: Goleta, CA
Age: 50
Gender: Guy
Posts: 737
keninsb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
I currently have the S/C itch and I'm working with the local dealer to help me scratch it! They can give the parts to me at cost, so they claim, but not match Sparks or Shop TRD... Of course that means paying tax as well, but they are working on the best price they can for installation and parts together.
The Service Director is working out the deal and will call me when he has some real numbers.
I was expecting a call on Friday but didn't get it. I am trying to be patient...
Chris, I got mine from Lexus of North Miami for $4300 for the SC, fit kit AND TRD exhaust shipped from Miami to Santa Barbara, CA. Their eBay username is lexusofnorthmiami. Lisa was the sales rep and responded to ALL of my inquiries within an hour, even on Easter Sunday! I would send them a message via eBay and let them know that Ken just purchased the package deal from them and want to know if they can give you the same (or better) price. Then I would shop around to dealerships within a certain radius and then get the local dealership to match/beat the price. I just about guarantee that you will get a better deal that way and save some $$ for other mods like a URD pulley or fuel pump/filter kit.
Just my two cents, but it worked out well for me.
Ken
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #20
Senior Member
Jefes Taco has a spectacular aura aboutJefes Taco has a spectacular aura about
 
Jefes Taco's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2014, #126413
Location: Denver, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 503
Jefes Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
I currently have the S/C itch and I'm working with the local dealer to help me scratch it! They can give the parts to me at cost, so they claim, but not match Sparks or Shop TRD... Of course that means paying tax as well, but they are working on the best price they can for installation and parts together.
The Service Director is working out the deal and will call me when he has some real numbers.
I was expecting a call on Friday but didn't get it. I am trying to be patient...
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninsb View Post
Chris, I got mine from Lexus of North Miami for $4300 for the SC, fit kit AND TRD exhaust shipped from Miami to Santa Barbara, CA. Their eBay username is lexusofnorthmiami. Lisa was the sales rep and responded to ALL of my inquiries within an hour, even on Easter Sunday! I would send them a message via eBay and let them know that Ken just purchased the package deal from them and want to know if they can give you the same (or better) price. Then I would shop around to dealerships within a certain radius and then get the local dealership to match/beat the price. I just about guarantee that you will get a better deal that way and save some $$ for other mods like a URD pulley or fuel pump/filter kit.
Just my two cents, but it worked out well for me.
Ken
This seems to be the best price right now. It seems there was a price increase from TRD and these folks have some older inventory they can still sell at the lower price. Just a guess on that. But it's the best price I've seen except for Sparks which I believe they are not honoring the price I saw several weeks ago. They may have changed the pricing on their website by now.

Install is going to be between $600-$1500 and SHOULD take the better part of a day. I dropped mine off the night before and picked it up at 5:30.

I was able to get the dealer to install for $1100 out the door. Meaning all applicable taxes and shop fees. My total out of pocket was just North of $5500. I may have been able to do it cheaper but not by much. And this is a reasonable cost for just about any SC parts and install. Corvettes and Camaros run similar in total cost if not a bit more. Both share the same engine and are extremely easy to put a SC on and there are many companies offering SCs for that engine. So competition is fierce. Much more so than dong it on the Taco.

If you've got the $$ to do it, I recommend going for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed except for having to run premium gas. But that's like buying a 50 cal rifle then complaining about the cost of ammo.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any recommendations on dealer for TRD Supercharger install in DC area? WESLEY KAY 2nd Gen. Tacomas 1 09-15-2012 06:42 PM
Additional Costs - 2006 Supercharger davidbclark3 2nd Gen. Tacomas 1 01-16-2012 09:28 PM
My supercharger install experience (dealer) horwitzs 2nd Gen. Tacomas 43 08-11-2011 11:20 AM
dealer wont install supercharger because i didnt buy from them got_titan Performance and Tuning 18 04-03-2010 07:59 PM
TRD supercharger dealer labor install hours Joe B 2nd Gen. Tacomas 28 12-10-2008 09:49 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.