Notices

04 prerunner front brakes

Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Keep Trucking
Chopper84 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Chopper84's Tacoma Gallery
04 prerunner front brakes

Wanting to buy some drilled and slotted rotors next time i have to do my breaks. my question is would it be worth it long term as i live in vegas with plenty of dirt to hit and will mid travel the truck most likely.

OR should i get a better rotor then normal and better pads?

any opinions on both ideas?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Drilled rotors can crack........some slotted can pulse amd chew up pads.

Id suggest brembo blanks and hawk lts pads, or if u must use a fancy rotor use a slotted one and not a drilled one.
Do more homework on who makes good slotted rotors if u go that route......id bet brembo slots are decent
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
dust ...
chris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Chris
chris66's Tacoma Gallery
whats the situation with the rear brakes... i think the majority of the braking is done with the fronts so is it even worth converting from drums?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Keep Trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris66 View Post
whats the situation with the rear brakes... i think the majority of the braking is done with the fronts so is it even worth converting from drums?
wasnt planning to change rears really. more just the front brakes. id only do rears after its paid off and i do the mid-long travel set up. but thats like 20 years price and time frame
Old 01-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper84 View Post
wasnt planning to change rears really. more just the front brakes. id only do rears after its paid off and i do the mid-long travel set up. but thats like 20 years price and time frame
Do lots more homework.......I know the kits for 2nd gens (rear disc conversion) make braking WORSE. Im not sure about 1st gen kits tho......just try a quality rotor and pad up front first since that's a large amount of ur braking anyhow
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
There is also the tundra brake swap a decent amount of work and you have to have the 16" wheel to clear the caliper but its supposed to give the best brake performance that is available for first gen tacomas.
You would have to swap rotors and calipers and get new pads.
Not sure about brake boosters as I don't know much about them but I've seen people talk about those on the forums.
If you want to go budget and not too fancy but still getting an upgrade get the blanks and pads. Thats what I plan to do when I have to swap my pads and if I have the extra cash.
I forgot to mention cryogenic rotors but they are expensive they are supposed to be more heat resistant than regular rotors and fade less I believe.

You may be able to get some more performance by draining your current oil and replacing it, so I've read.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
There is no point to do rears on these trucks. There are only a couple of swaps and they pretty much suck for the value.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Keep Trucking

again the rears are only a thought when the truck is paid and if i long travel or mid travel the truck. and the fronts are the idea for when the rotors are toast for the ones i currently have. which means it will be awhile. ive heard the drilled and slotted are good but i dont know if offroad conditions will decrease that. mainly heard from street vehicles about use and what not.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #9
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Do lots more homework.......I know the kits for 2nd gens (rear disc conversion) make braking WORSE. Im not sure about 1st gen kits tho......just try a quality rotor and pad up front first since that's a large amount of ur braking anyhow
This is what I have heard as well too. www.TundraRacing.com sells a rear conversion for the second gen. I believe that it is the rear setup from a 4Runner. OEM parts, and meant for a 4000 lb + vehicle. Yet our weight distribution is highly biased towards the front, versus the 4Runner.

Also, they have a different proportioning system and brake booster. Which levels their all wheel disk braking. Our Tacomas need an adjustable proportioning valve so that you can properly setup the rear braking force. Otherwise it will be too much after bolting on.

Get the adjustable valve, and set it up. Then they would be a great addition. Not the easiest job, but I know one who has done it.