Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

CAI and exhaust recommendation

Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Drabs10 is on a distinguished road
Drabs10's Tacoma Gallery
CAI and exhaust recommendation

I am trying to decide what CAI, exhaust, and headers to put on my tacoma. I originally was thinking of going with the K&N 77 series as the CAI and Magnaflow for the exhaust. After reading some things I am now considering AFE dry intake and flowmaster exhaust. Would any one be able to give me there thoughts/recommendations on the matter, and what to do with the headers?

What I am looking to get out of the alterations (performce, performance, performance!!!):
increased HP and torque.
the deepest and loudest sound (with out compromising power)

I am looking to pre-run and eventually race the truck.

If anyone has recommendations outside the brands and parts I listed please send me your suggestions. Along with any suggestions and recommendations you may have to help me with new project of making this truck off-road/baja ready.

Lastly I just move to the Phoenix Az area (east valley). I need places to buy parts, install parts, and to take my truck.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Shorty headers give the best gains. A "Cold air" intake doesnt do tooo much, 'cept for the URD intake, but best gains are had when adding an MAF Calibrator. Any flow thru exhaust will give around 5 hp. Flowmasters caost you hp.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Doug Thorley and JBA both make long tube headers. Dynomax and Aero Turbine are probably your best bet for mufflers. I'll disagree with chris4x4 and say that are stage2 si, and the old style TRD are the best intakes! but i have no proof other than a butt dyno
Since you mentioned pre-runnng and eventually racing your Tacoma, here is a good thread by a fellow TW member who actually does race his truck, some good reading if your inquiring about LT.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...formation.html
Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Drabs10 is on a distinguished road
Drabs10's Tacoma Gallery
thank you so much for the suggestions. going to start pricing the parts and saving up.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Corndawg has a spectacular aura aboutCorndawg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Corey
Corndawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Doug Thorley and JBA both make long tube headers. Dynomax and Aero Turbine are probably your best bet for mufflers. I'll disagree with chris4x4 and say that are stage2 si, and the old style TRD are the best intakes! but i have no proof other than a butt dyno
Since you mentioned pre-runnng and eventually racing your Tacoma, here is a good thread by a fellow TW member who actually does race his truck, some good reading if your inquiring about LT.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...formation.html
you seem to know alot man. im new to the exhaust system. and or mods for its my first decent truck. im going with Magnaflow Catback because life time warranty. and ive heard TRD cat back is quieter than most
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking for a aggressive exhaust go with the Aero Turbine. Sounds great in my opinion.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Hippynotions is on a distinguished road
Hippynotions's Tacoma Gallery
Does flowmaster really cost you hp? I was planning on getting a flowmaster 40 series but i dont want to loose any hp. Also if i want to get ride of the exhaust pipe that sits lower then the cross member on my frame is it a cheap or pricey fix for a exhaust and muffler shop?
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippynotions View Post
Does flowmaster really cost you hp? I was planning on getting a flowmaster 40 series but i dont want to loose any hp. Also if i want to get ride of the exhaust pipe that sits lower then the cross member on my frame is it a cheap or pricey fix for a exhaust and muffler shop?
yes..............its chambered and doesnt flow as well..............also drones like an SOB

what pipe is this ur talking about?

the Y pipe?

u can get 1 from URDUSA.com
Old 03-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
Hippynotions is on a distinguished road
Hippynotions's Tacoma Gallery
Just after it Y's going towards the front of the truck one of the pipes coming off the Y sits lower then the bottom of the frame it irks me a bit that they designed it this way and i was wondering if its possible to get a aftermarket pipe that isnt the lowest clearence point of the truck
Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
i have the stock intake, and TRD exhaust. im happy with it.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Like a whole exhaust system alot
Old 03-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post

Im sure ill be happy with my recent purchase....bout 2K

Hp costs money
Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Cold air intakes do increase horsepower but just because of increased airflow