Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

K & N cold air intake worse gas mileage

Old 01-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The engine isnt getting any "extra" air. Its not a supercharger. Throttle position dictates the quantity of air that goes into the engine. At WOT, the K&N still flows no more than the stock intake system does.
You have to think 'placement of MAF'. Which is behind a free-er flowing filter. Thus the MAF is reading increased CFM of air.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
...is it just winter gas?
This was my first thought. OP didn't say when they did the swap. Might have been around the same time their usual watering hole switched over to crap blend for the season.

I'm still stock on my '11, but I did do the K&N swap on my '04 Wrangler and it gave me a 2-3 highway MPG boost even though K&N said not to expect one. Or course my Taco has even more electronic crap on it than the Jeep did.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Clean ur MAF sensor, wash the filter and lightly oil it.....u may have over oiled it the first time, or even when brand new they sometimes are waaaaay overoiled. This may cause maf errors and effect mileage.

Course getting on the gas just to hear the intake may be fun but its not saving u any gas.

Also, how many tanks have u been through?
Are u taking the same routes to work as before?
is it just winter gas?
They come over oiled because they sit on the shelves for years before they get sold typically.

Once you get a new one, take it out of the bag and wash it good. Then lightly, lightly, lightly oil it. Clean the MAF as well. 99% of peoples problems with K&N is due to them soaking the piss out of it in oil. I've ran K&N's in everything I've ever owned, never once had an issue.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #24
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
You have to think 'placement of MAF'. Which is behind a free-er flowing filter. Thus the MAF is reading increased CFM of air.
No its not. I have monitored the GPS's (grams per second) readings from the MAF with OEM intake, and others, and there is no change. The only thing affecting the reading is the amount of throttle thats open. The air filter is virtually invisible to the engine.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
This was my first thought. OP didn't say when they did the swap. Might have been around the same time their usual watering hole switched over to crap blend for the season.
To add, colder air holds more O2, thus causing the engine to run more fuel. MPG generally suffer in the winter because of, not only the crap gas, but also the colder, denser air.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
The data is affected by volume of the intake (length and diameter) and placement of the MAF however. Anyway, this is an interesting article. Worth the read.
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
The data is affected by volume of the intake (length and diameter) and placement of the MAF however. Anyway, this is an interesting article. Worth the read.
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
I understand what you are saying. What Im telling you is, The GPS were not affected by the kind of filter installed. This is a direct measure of how much air is flowing thru the MAF. If more air was in fact going into the engine, it would have shown an increase in the GPS.