Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

K & N cold air intake worse gas mileage

Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
glaziers27 is on a distinguished road
glaziers27's Tacoma Gallery
K & N cold air intake worse gas mileage

I installed a K & N cold air intake on my 2010 SR5 V6. I thought I was going to get better gas mileage, but I haven't been. Highway mileage was about 21 miles per gallon and now it's between 16-17 mpg. Truck sounds great when I hit it but I'd rather have better gas mileage. Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers27 View Post
I installed a K & N cold air intake on my 2010 SR5 V6. I thought I was going to get better gas mileage, but I haven't been. Highway mileage was about 21 miles per gallon and now it's between 16-17 mpg. Truck sounds great when I hit it but I'd rather have better gas mileage. Any suggestions?

Your last line "Kills me" ...."Hitting it " is EXACTLY why your mpg's SUCK...

You DO NOT make an "MPG mod" and then drive like a Walthrip...unless you REALLY wanted a "Power mod" but Hid it in MPG clothing...

Try finding you trucks "Sweet spot" while driving with an even foot and watch those MPG's climb...then train your ears/right foot to only "vroom-vroom" when neccesary...
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Clean ur MAF sensor, wash the filter and lightly oil it.....u may have over oiled it the first time, or even when brand new they sometimes are waaaaay overoiled. This may cause maf errors and effect mileage.

Course getting on the gas just to hear the intake may be fun but its not saving u any gas.

Also, how many tanks have u been through?
Are u taking the same routes to work as before?
is it just winter gas?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
That's funny man.....k&n's deff don't help with gas mileage. I bought mine for sound when I step on the pedal, nothing more and nothing less!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
if you want better MPG you need to adjust the nut behind the wheel
Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Try resetting your battery.
Why?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Why?
Honestly the install of most intakes says to remove negative terminal while installing anyhow.....

As for Tor......he knows his stuff and we are very lucky to have him around.
If the only thing he can come up with (at the moment), is to reset the battery, its worth trying....maybe he selected that since its a free thing to try 1st
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #9

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Thought I've read it's not necessary as the engine compensates for the extra air within a certain number of miles?

Was just curious but sounds like if could have something to do with it?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
tho the cpu will eventually compensate...
it takes some time to recalibrate properly.

I once went to get a smog here in Cali...
and had just installed a new battery.
passed the smog test...
but failed due to disconnecting the battery.
Had to drive 50 miles then return for a retest.
damn california smog law crap.

disconnecting and reconnecting the battery
allows the cpu to recalibrate more effectively
as it clears/resets itself during disconnection of the battery.

You can also pull the ecu fuse I believe.

sound advice from Torspd, IMO
Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #11

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
That makes sense......"truck sounds good hitting it" is killing his gas mileage though!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #13
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
When you flow more air into the engine, with a less restrictive filter, more fuel is injected to keep the mixture correct. You get more power, but less mileage. There is no magic bullet that will give you both.
BTW, K&N sucks. It lets too much sand and dust into the engine. Get the AFE Pro Dry. Don't believe me, drive down a dusty road, and check your intake.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #14
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
When you flow more air into the engine, with a less restrictive filter, more fuel is injected to keep the mixture correct. You get more power, but less mileage. There is no magic bullet that will give you both.
BTW, K&N sucks. It lets too much sand and dust into the engine. Get the AFE Pro Dry. Don't believe me, drive down a dusty road, and check your intake.
This is the truth. I don't know how high flow filter systems can be marketed for increased mpg when the additional air needs to be compensated with additional fuel.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How can someone run a s/c with, EMS, larger injectors, headers, intake, full exhaust, and still get 20+ mpg?

Light foot and increased VE of the engine and supporting components.

Yeah, and tuning in order to create a leaner condition when cruising. Too bad stock ecus dont have the greatest capability.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
That is a very capable way of saving gas. But I know that for the type of tuning that I was referring to in the prior post, wouldn't be the case. URD doesn't do that. An individual with their own tuning certainly can. I was actually referring to a comment from Gadget about his mpg on a road trip.

We also forgot to mention gearing. But that is another part of the story.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to be argumentative with you dually. Just throwing out different debatablesscenarios.

Also, I am not a fan of K&N either. Unless they are the only company supplying the specific filter for my needs. Such as for my catch can setup. Lol
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is a very capable way of saving gas. But I know that for the type of tuning that I was referring to in the prior post, wouldn't be the case. URD doesn't do that. An individual with their own tuning certainly can. I was actually referring to a comment from Gadget about his mpg on a road trip.

We also forgot to mention gearing. But that is another part of the story.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to be argumentative with you dually. Just throwing out different debatablesscenarios.

Also, I am not a fan of K&N either. Unless they are the only company supplying the specific filter for my needs. Such as for my catch can setup. Lol
No I agree completely man!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
put the stock intake back on and keep the filter clean.. you gain nothing by an aftermarket intake on a modern stock engine.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Thought I've read it's not necessary as the engine compensates for the extra air within a certain number of miles?

Was just curious but sounds like if could have something to do with it?
The engine isnt getting any "extra" air. Its not a supercharger. Throttle position dictates the quantity of air that goes into the engine. At WOT, the K&N still flows no more than the stock intake system does.