1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K & N cold air intake worse gas mileage

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by glaziers27, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Jan 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    glaziers27

glaziers27 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner SR5 Sport 4x4 crewcab
    I installed a K & N cold air intake on my 2010 SR5 V6. I thought I was going to get better gas mileage, but I haven't been. Highway mileage was about 21 miles per gallon and now it's between 16-17 mpg. Truck sounds great when I hit it but I'd rather have better gas mileage. Any suggestions?

2. Jan 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4

Your last line "Kills me" ;)...."Hitting it " is EXACTLY why your mpg's SUCK...

You DO NOT make an "MPG mod" and then drive like a Walthrip...unless you REALLY wanted a "Power mod" but Hid it in MPG clothing...:D

Try finding you trucks "Sweet spot" while driving with an even foot and watch those MPG's climb...then train your ears/right foot to only "vroom-vroom" when neccesary...:cool:

3. Jan 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Clean ur MAF sensor, wash the filter and lightly oil it.....u may have over oiled it the first time, or even when brand new they sometimes are waaaaay overoiled. This may cause maf errors and effect mileage.

Course getting on the gas just to hear the intake may be fun but its not saving u any gas.

Also, how many tanks have u been through?
    Are u taking the same routes to work as before?
    is it just winter gas?

4. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    That's funny man.....k&n's deff don't help with gas mileage. I bought mine for sound when I step on the pedal, nothing more and nothing less!

5. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:45 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    if you want better MPG you need to adjust the nut behind the wheel

6. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Try resetting your battery.

bm00re likes this.
  7. Jan 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Why?

8. Jan 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Honestly the install of most intakes says to remove negative terminal while installing anyhow.....

As for Tor......he knows his stuff and we are very lucky to have him around.
    If the only thing he can come up with (at the moment), is to reset the battery, its worth trying....maybe he selected that since its a free thing to try 1st

9. Jan 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Thought I've read it's not necessary as the engine compensates for the extra air within a certain number of miles?

Was just curious but sounds like if could have something to do with it?

10. Jan 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    tho the cpu will eventually compensate...
    it takes some time to recalibrate properly.

I once went to get a smog here in Cali...
    and had just installed a new battery.
    passed the smog test...
    but failed due to disconnecting the battery.
    Had to drive 50 miles then return for a retest.
    damn california smog law crap.

disconnecting and reconnecting the battery
    allows the cpu to recalibrate more effectively
    as it clears/resets itself during disconnection of the battery.

You can also pull the ecu fuse I believe.

sound advice from Torspd, IMO

11. Jan 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    That makes sense......"truck sounds good hitting it" is killing his gas mileage though!

12. Jan 23, 2013 at 3:39 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Just make sure to leave it disconnected for about 15-30 minutes. That will clear everything.

1997tacomav6 and TheReal_amocaT like this.
  13. Jan 23, 2013 at 5:16 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    When you flow more air into the engine, with a less restrictive filter, more fuel is injected to keep the mixture correct. You get more power, but less mileage. There is no magic bullet that will give you both.
    BTW, K&N sucks. It lets too much sand and dust into the engine. Get the AFE Pro Dry. Don't believe me, drive down a dusty road, and check your intake.

14. Jan 23, 2013 at 5:22 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    This is the truth. I don't know how high flow filter systems can be marketed for increased mpg when the additional air needs to be compensated with additional fuel.

15. Jan 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    How can someone run a s/c with, EMS, larger injectors, headers, intake, full exhaust, and still get 20+ mpg?

Light foot and increased VE of the engine and supporting components.

16. Jan 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB

Yeah, and tuning in order to create a leaner condition when cruising. Too bad stock ecus dont have the greatest capability.

17. Jan 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    That is a very capable way of saving gas. But I know that for the type of tuning that I was referring to in the prior post, wouldn't be the case. URD doesn't do that. An individual with their own tuning certainly can. I was actually referring to a comment from Gadget about his mpg on a road trip.

We also forgot to mention gearing. But that is another part of the story.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to be argumentative with you dually. Just throwing out different debatablesscenarios.

Also, I am not a fan of K&N either. Unless they are the only company supplying the specific filter for my needs. Such as for my catch can setup. Lol

18. Jan 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    No I agree completely man!

19. Jan 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    put the stock intake back on and keep the filter clean.. you gain nothing by an aftermarket intake on a modern stock engine.

20. Jan 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The engine isnt getting any "extra" air. Its not a supercharger. Throttle position dictates the quantity of air that goes into the engine. At WOT, the K&N still flows no more than the stock intake system does.

Products Discussed in

To Top