1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD's New "BEEF" Clutch

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Torspd, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Feb 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    dewey smith

dewey smith Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 SR5 Double Cab
    Leveling kit
    Sweet, thanks for the quick answers Gadget.

Which would you recommend? I love the idea of the dual disc, it seems like it would engage smoother and give me more control over how much slip occurs, which would be ideal for crawling, but I like the extra toughness of the Stage 3+, especially with my plans to go forced induction, and I do tow from time to time.

Same for the pressure plate bolts? Also, I'm not planning on the throwout bearing since its basically brand new, is that a safe assumption?

2. Feb 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  3. Feb 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    dewey smith

dewey smith Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 SR5 Double Cab
    Leveling kit
    Ordered!

Was it you that called me this morning, Gadget? Thanks for getting me all taken care of! :)

4. Feb 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    ^^^ When is the install? Take plenty of pictures too.

5. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    dewey smith

dewey smith Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 SR5 Double Cab
    Leveling kit
    It should be here on Thursday but I'm not planning on installing it until next Saturday, since that's the closest weekend I could get a bay in the shop I'll be doing it in.

I'm actually planning on making a full YouTube video tutorial for it and anything else I do on this truck... I'll keep you guys posted.

6. Feb 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Good deal man. :thumbsup:

7. Feb 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    I almost can't wait to burn my clutch out so I can buy one of these.

8. Feb 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Dirt donut burn out vid. ;)

9. Mar 5, 2013 at 1:09 AM
    dewey smith

dewey smith Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 SR5 Double Cab
    Leveling kit
    [​IMG]

This is what I got via FedEx last week. I ordered the Stage 3, which I thought was dual disc... Did I miss something? This is dual friction, but... Yeah.

I emailed Gadget twice, once Friday and today, and he hasn't gotten back to me. :/

10. Mar 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    dewey smith

dewey smith Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 SR5 Double Cab
    Leveling kit
    Not to worry, he emailed and called me this morning. :)

Turns out the dual-disc is still in development? IDK. I'll stick with the dual-friction, though, because holy crap do I ever need a new clutch. :p

11. Mar 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Correct. If you ever hop on www.xr-underground.com, Gadget posts there regularly. As well you can see the most up to date info on any of his new projects or find out details such as the twin disk still being jn development.

However, the clutch you have is rated for 580wtq. So I know you are plenty safe with that. ;)

Did you also order the ARP pressure plate bolts and ARP flywheel bolts? Those are a must really. As you never want to re-use the factory bolts once they have been removed.

12. Mar 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM
    cookee62

cookee62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Mary, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab
    URD SS, URD Y-Pipe, DTLT Headers, 3" URD Cat Back, Fox 2.5 CO, TC UCA, Fox Rear Resi, SS brake Lines, All pro 1.5" leafs, Halo Projector Headlights, WE Bead-lock Rims, 33 BFG AT, No Sway Bar
    So I have toyota taking care of the TSB for the throwout bearing and a shift fork. They have the transmission and everything taken apart and the clutch is right there and I'm thinking of better engagement and increase load as I tow and off road quite a bit so I'm looking at the competition clutch stage II or URD Stage II. I think the URD one is the way to go but open to suggestions. Also on URD website they are asking if I purchase a throwout bearing but I shouldn't right if I'm getting a new one installed from toyota? is there anything special about URD throwout bearing?

Also should I buy the APR bolts and pressure plate bolts? Its a extra expense and whats the benefits?

Thanks for the advice. I need to order this ASAP while they have everything open.

13. Mar 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Not sure on the TOB, but definitely get the ARP hardware. You should never re-use the factory flywheel and pressure plate bolts. The factory hardware can stretch to much.

14. Mar 10, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner

The optional throw out bearing that we are bundling with our clutch kits at a discount is the upgraded/repair throw out bearing kit we offer. It is not just some copy cat stock bearing.

http://urdusa.com/Clutch-and-Flywhe...IT,-2005+-Tacoma-V6-6-Speed/product_info.html

The upgrade/repair bearing kit solves a lot of the problems with the clutch release system and it is fully compatible with the new TSB parts.

G

15. Mar 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    dawgrules

dawgrules Active Member

Member:
    Remember, heavy clutches come with a price - they become more like an on-off switch the heavier you go. A bit heavier than stock is fine for most of the time but if you get carried away, beware

16. Mar 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
  17. Mar 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
  18. Mar 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM
    Boost JuNkY

Boost JuNkY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2003 TACOMA DC OFF ROAD
    35'S ON 3s
    Hows the engagement compared to a full face disc?

19. Mar 24, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    For which type of clutch?^^^^^

20. Mar 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    dewey smith

dewey smith Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 SR5 Double Cab
    Leveling kit
    Installed!

Man does that sucker bite.

I didn't take a ton of pictures but I did have my GoPro on time-lapse for a couple of hours. Is there already a full write-up on the 1GR 6-speed clutch? Any interest if there isn't? It's really QUITE easy, just time consuming. 9 hours total work for me, plus 2 hours waiting on a machine shop.

Products Discussed in

To Top