Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

URD's New "BEEF" Clutch

Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
dewey smith is on a distinguished road
Name: Corey
dewey smith's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, thanks for the quick answers Gadget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD
The URD Stage 3+ clutch is a single disc but it is a dual friction with different types of friction material on each side of the disc.
Which would you recommend? I love the idea of the dual disc, it seems like it would engage smoother and give me more control over how much slip occurs, which would be ideal for crawling, but I like the extra toughness of the Stage 3+, especially with my plans to go forced induction, and I do tow from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD
You should not try to reuse the flywheel to crank bolts. They are single use if you have the stock ones. Get new stock ones or something better.
Same for the pressure plate bolts? Also, I'm not planning on the throwout bearing since its basically brand new, is that a safe assumption?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
Ordered!

Was it you that called me this morning, Gadget? Thanks for getting me all taken care of!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
It should be here on Thursday but I'm not planning on installing it until next Saturday, since that's the closest weekend I could get a bay in the shop I'll be doing it in.

I'm actually planning on making a full YouTube video tutorial for it and anything else I do on this truck... I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #27
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
I almost can't wait to burn my clutch out so I can buy one of these.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #29

This is what I got via FedEx last week. I ordered the Stage 3, which I thought was dual disc... Did I miss something? This is dual friction, but... Yeah.

I emailed Gadget twice, once Friday and today, and he hasn't gotten back to me. :/
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #30
Not to worry, he emailed and called me this morning.

Turns out the dual-disc is still in development? IDK. I'll stick with the dual-friction, though, because holy crap do I ever need a new clutch. :P
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #31
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Correct. If you ever hop on www.xr-underground.com, Gadget posts there regularly. As well you can see the most up to date info on any of his new projects or find out details such as the twin disk still being jn development.

However, the clutch you have is rated for 580wtq. So I know you are plenty safe with that.

Did you also order the ARP pressure plate bolts and ARP flywheel bolts? Those are a must really. As you never want to re-use the factory bolts once they have been removed.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #32
cookee62 is on a distinguished road
cookee62's Tacoma Gallery
Question

So I have toyota taking care of the TSB for the throwout bearing and a shift fork. They have the transmission and everything taken apart and the clutch is right there and I'm thinking of better engagement and increase load as I tow and off road quite a bit so I'm looking at the competition clutch stage II or URD Stage II. I think the URD one is the way to go but open to suggestions. Also on URD website they are asking if I purchase a throwout bearing but I shouldn't right if I'm getting a new one installed from toyota? is there anything special about URD throwout bearing?

Also should I buy the APR bolts and pressure plate bolts? Its a extra expense and whats the benefits?

Thanks for the advice. I need to order this ASAP while they have everything open.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #34
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookee62 View Post
So I have toyota taking care of the TSB for the throwout bearing and a shift fork. They have the transmission and everything taken apart and the clutch is right there and I'm thinking of better engagement and increase load as I tow and off road quite a bit so I'm looking at the competition clutch stage II or URD Stage II. I think the URD one is the way to go but open to suggestions. Also on URD website they are asking if I purchase a throwout bearing but I shouldn't right if I'm getting a new one installed from toyota? is there anything special about URD throwout bearing?

Also should I buy the APR bolts and pressure plate bolts? Its a extra expense and whats the benefits?

Thanks for the advice. I need to order this ASAP while they have everything open.

The optional throw out bearing that we are bundling with our clutch kits at a discount is the upgraded/repair throw out bearing kit we offer. It is not just some copy cat stock bearing.

http://urdusa.com/Clutch-and-Flywhee...duct_info.html

The upgrade/repair bearing kit solves a lot of the problems with the clutch release system and it is fully compatible with the new TSB parts.

G
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #35
dawgrules has a spectacular aura aboutdawgrules has a spectacular aura about
dawgrules's Tacoma Gallery
Remember, heavy clutches come with a price - they become more like an on-off switch the heavier you go. A bit heavier than stock is fine for most of the time but if you get carried away, beware
Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #37
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #38
Boost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to all

Name: Billy
Boost JuNkY's Tacoma Gallery
Hows the engagement compared to a full face disc?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #40
Installed!

Man does that sucker bite.

I didn't take a ton of pictures but I did have my GoPro on time-lapse for a couple of hours. Is there already a full write-up on the 1GR 6-speed clutch? Any interest if there isn't? It's really QUITE easy, just time consuming. 9 hours total work for me, plus 2 hours waiting on a machine shop.