Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Volant CAI and MPGs!!!!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
alexretama is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
alexretama's Tacoma Gallery
Volant CAI and MPGs!!!!

About 600 miles ago I slapped on a Volant CAI. I notice the throttle response is better but I get shit for fuel economy! I used to get 18, 19, or even 20, depending on where I go but these past 2 fill ups I've been pulling 15 miles a gallon... What gives? Im gonna try a tune up on Saturday but if that doesnt work, you'll see it on eBay because I dont have the heart to sell garbage to the good people of TW. So far, waste of money.....
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
no one else with this problem?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Read this.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

You should not expect better mpg with ANY intake made to increase air intake. Waste of money if you bought it for MPG.

Simple fact, under anything but wide open throttle, it is the throttle plate that is the greatest restriction on the intake. Doesn't matter if the intake is less restrictive since the throttle plate is what's holding the engine back.

I know this is specifically about a dirty clogged air filter, but the same applies comparing a stock filter to a "free flowing" performance filter.

Throw in the roar of the new intake and your mpg drops.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Are u enjoying the sound and throttle too much?

I've never seen a mpg change from stock to afe to urd.

Is it winter gas?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Does Long Beach get winter gas?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Read this.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

You should not expect better mpg with ANY intake made to increase air intake. Waste of money if you bought it for MPG.

Simple fact, under anything but wide open throttle, it is the throttle plate that is the greatest restriction on the intake. Doesn't matter if the intake is less restrictive since the throttle plate is what's holding the engine back.

I know this is specifically about a dirty clogged air filter, but the same applies comparing a stock filter to a "free flowing" performance filter.

Throw in the roar of the new intake and your mpg drops.
I get that.. I wouldnt buy the intake just for the mpg. I guess my question is is it normal to lose 5 mpg?