Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Will Switching to Synthetic help Gas Mileage???

Old 08-21-2007, 05:28 AM   #1
socko3161 is on a distinguished road

socko3161's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to socko3161
Will Switching to Synthetic help Gas Mileage???

So I have noticed that I am getting crappy gas mileage compared to other people on here... Its around 17 - 18, and thats with the TRD exhaust and the airaid intake which I thought both would help out a little... With my 15000 mile oil change approaching, im wondering if switching to synthetic might help... or is there anything I can do to improve my MPG??? Anything would help, thanks in advance
Old 08-21-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Synthetic will help a little, but the biggest thing that will help you is to change your driving style. No harsh take offs, no passing, not a bunch of stop and go traffice, and keeping it below 70 MPH will all help you get good gas mileage.

Still 17-18 MPG isn't bad at all for a 4X4. 19 MPG is pretty average for the 4.0L 4X2's. 22 MPG (US Miles Per Gallon - not Imperial Gallons) is excellent above average for any 4.0L.

Synthetic is a really good idea, but plan to stick with it. Switching back and forth is worse than just staying on Dino Oil.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I just got back from a trip to the beach. Driving almost all highway, 80mph with the AC on i got 20.3 mpg on the way down. However, most of the time i get 17.5 to 18 mpg, and that includes 50/50 highway and city driving and blasting the AC non-stop. I plan on getting closer to 20mpg when i stop using the AC all the time. BTW, i use Mobil 1 full synthetic, and i have heard that you get better mpg with synthetic. 007 is right though, you have to be very concious of the way you drive.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socko3161 View Post
So I have noticed that I am getting crappy gas mileage compared to other people on here... Its around 17 - 18, and thats with the TRD exhaust and the airaid intake which I thought both would help out a little... With my 15000 mile oil change approaching, im wondering if switching to synthetic might help... or is there anything I can do to improve my MPG??? Anything would help, thanks in advance
You're complaining about 17-18MPG? I'm lucky to get 16. I'll trade you trucks. Or maybe I should just stop driving like a maniac.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
you should probably stop driving like a maniac
Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
you should probably stop driving like a maniac
This truck is too fun to drive.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
socko3161 is on a distinguished road

socko3161's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to socko3161
Ill be honest, I do have a lead foot.. I think its cause I like the sound it makes... And I think the best mileage I have ever gotten is coming back from a roadtrip and running the truck hard the whole way and the gas mileage was incredible... This was partly due to my buddy in his cobra driving along side and you know how that goes... But she got up to 100 going straight up the side of a mountain no problem... Going from driving an 89 corolla to this, I love this truck :P
Old 08-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
reid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reid's Tacoma Gallery
Thats the trick with an intake or cat-back exhaust. On all of the websites it states that you will get better gas mileage. You will if you drive that way you did before the upgrade. But everyone likes to hear their truck so we all drive differently once we put one one.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socko3161 View Post
I get about 16-17 mpg.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance
07TRDsport is on a distinguished road

07TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
i switched to synthetic mobil1 and noticed my gas milage went down!!! pissed me right off.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Virginia Beach and Greenville
navysob is on a distinguished road

Navy: Report to my next station in two weeks!!!
Name: Sean
navysob's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to navysob Send a message via Yahoo to navysob
i have a 06 4x4 with the 4.0.. last week, driving about 95% highway, with ac and cruise... I was getting about 20.3mpg... but then these past few days i have been getting about 17.5 because it has been a lot of back country roads... so like everyone says... it is all about the way you are driving it
Old 09-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
What is the point in being a maniac if you can`t drive like one.
Red and blues help with this.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Red and blues indeed. A few days ago I got pulled over on the 395 coming back from the Eastern Sierras. He clocked me in my truck and my brother in his prerunner doing 96 MPH. After that the mpg increased dramatically.

Ted