Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

no pipes/straight pipe does damage???

Old 02-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
AirForceTacoma08 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 2 MXS
Name: Adan
AirForceTacoma08's Tacoma Gallery
Question no pipes/straight pipe does damage???

i have heard mixed things about having no pipes or straight pipes could be damaging to your tacoma? i know it is illegal i'm just wondering if it does do damage or not and if i will smell the exhaust in the cab or not if i go no pipes
Old 02-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
straight pipes may need to worry about scavanging iirc.

NO pipes, like open headers u may have to worry about it sounding like ass (plus scavanging).....theres u tube vids.

happy meduim MAY BE an electric exhaust cutout but iirc u may have to worry about valves

in short, what are u trying to do?

make it deeper, raspier, or looking for HP?

gotta be careful with newer engines.....sometimes the smallest tweaks can LOSE hp
Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
What are you trying to do?

As Justus suggests, a good place to start might be to learn what it is you are trying to do.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
your engine needs back pressure, dont straight pipe, or cut it off. spend the money on a nice exhaust. im happy with the TRD exhaust, but didnt want something obnoxious sounding.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ine-basic.html
You learn something new everyday.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
I miss the days when 4x4 was unemployed.
He always posted such intelligent and useful information.

Now he just.....

OP, remove the headers, start the engine, and you'll warp your exhaust valves.
That's the only "damage" that you would do.
With open headers or open pipes, it'll run great wide open, high RPM, but your bottom end is going to suffer.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #7

im trying to get a more deeper throttle sound and im gonna buy doug thorley long tube headers and i wanted to just have open headers. i have also been told that that whole back pressure/exhaust valve warp wont happen with long tubes.
i've heard about the whole back pressure and exhaust valve warp thing i just dont understand how that would happen with just the headers being open. but i can understand it happening with no headers at all.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
open up the silencer on the intake and it will make serious noise
Old 02-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceTacoma08 View Post
i just dont understand how that would happen with just the headers being open.
You'll get a fix it ticket for the sound, a fine for not having a Cat Converter installed, and you'll find yourself getting dizzy and sleepy on a long trip, only to wake up in the ER with your legs gone after fainting at 80mph from Carbon Monoxide filling your cab.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
If throttle sound is what you are after, I'll second the response on the intake. My understanding is that the aftermarket CAIs account for the sound some enthusiasts are after. Headers should improve flow over the stock exhaust in that it should be better tuned and smoother. Depending on if you are after higher/lower torque the diameter of your exhaust will figure in. Catalytic converters are important for a number of reasons, required by law, and as noted above, running open headers (or having and improper exhaust system) can be dangerous (or lethal).

Sounds like your in the early stages of planning your exhaust system, so do your research and ask clarifying questions. There is an optimal solution for you out there.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #11

lol i figured the ticket would come soon after i dont plan on having open headers for long just until i get the enough money for the exhaust which should jus be a couple months. but the exhaust really still get in the cab with long tube headers open like that
Old 02-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
OP, remove the headers, start the engine, and you'll warp your exhaust valves.
That's the only "damage" that you would do.
With open headers or open pipes, it'll run great wide open, high RPM, but your bottom end is going to suffer.
Shoudlnt hurt the valves, but power would suffer greatly, as there would be no scavenging affect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I miss the days when 4x4 was unemployed.
He always posted such intelligent and useful information.

Now he just.....
Old 02-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #13

the exhaust i've heard that helps with the deeper throttle sound is flowmaster american thunder. i've seen vids of it on tacomas and it sounds great especially with aftermarket headers
Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
the exhaust i've heard that helps with the deeper throttle sound is flowmaster american thunder. i've seen vids of it on tacomas and it sounds great especially with aftermarket headers
It gives a deeper sound, but it causes a loss of about 5 HP. Small, baffled mufflers rob hp/torque, as they mess up the scavenging of the engine.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #15

so the american thunder isnt good then?? what exhaust do u recommend??
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #16

Quote:
so the american thunder isnt good then?? what exhaust do u recommend??
Youre not gonna get a ton pf power from any exhaust, and you might not notice the loss with the Flowmaster. Most flow thru mufflers, like Jardine, magnaflow, Borla, etc, give between a 5 and 8 hp gain. My thoughts are, Get what you think sounds the best to your ears.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Youre not gonna get a ton pf power from any exhaust, and you might not notice the loss with the Flowmaster. Most flow thru mufflers, like Jardine, magnaflow, Borla, etc, give between a 5 and 8 hp gain. My thoughts are, Get what you think sounds the best to your ears.
lol good info thnx good looking out
Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #18
Different types of mufflers use different technology to cancel engine sound. What you want to find is one that absorbs the sound but doesn't restrict the flow. As Chris points out, find the one that sounds right to you and then make sure that you don't select a restrictive exhaust that cancels the sound, but detracts from your HP.

Some of the things you'll note in Chris's writeup are that you are after a smooth, but controlled elimination of exhaust. Some backpressure is needed to give cadence to the flow which causes the syphoning action. Keeping the exhaust hot/warm throughout elimination is important as well, so pipe diameter is critical especially where you are trying to develop your power band. The key is finding an 'optimal' solution (not too big, not too small). Folks tend to 'maximize' solutions which as pointed out, can rob you of power and performance. Many folks find this out....too late.

So do the research. Good luck!!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackster View Post
..... Some backpressure is needed to give cadence to the flow which causes the syphoning action.
back pressure is a bad thing in any exhaust.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #20
It's my understanding that having some backpressure (e.g. cat restriction) causes the pulses of exhaust to blend, improve flow (syphoning), and low end torque. Is this incorrect?