LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Which CAI would you pick?

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
AFE 59 52.68%
Volant 23 20.54%
AEM Brute Force 6 5.36%
K&N 77 11 9.82%
Airaid 5 4.46%
K&N 63 7 6.25%
RPB 1 0.89%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
S1000RR will become famous soon enough
S1000RR's Tacoma Gallery
I just got the new airrad mxp and love it.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I went afe.
I like it. Sounds good and is pretty well enclosed.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #23
another minion
FrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the rough

Name: Frank
FrankNasti's Tacoma Gallery
I liked the AFE dry filter seems like less maintenance. Congratulations on the win by the way.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #24
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
once tuned the gains are alot more compared to the other CAI cuz the the volant is so rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
I thought about the running rich issue that people talk about but my exhaust wasn't black and the truck ran fine even at WOT.
I was told by some here,members on another Tacoma forum and by Volant,I'm fine.

Enjoy,Sock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post
on my scan gauge, it went from reading an intake air temp of 15 to 20 deg above actual outside temp, to 0 to 5 deg above actual outside temp.

the night i installed it, i got an air temp of 33deg (it was 33 deg outside).

because i can't keep my foot out of it, my mileage has dropped.

it should, by definition, be running richer now. lower intake temp means denser air, thus more fuel pumped in by computer.
i understand the running rich thing, but i have yet to see any hesitation problems or WOT issues. (just performs and sounds bad ass!).
I also expect some sort of loss of MPG because of it running more rich

I guess it would take another add-on, of sorts, to tune it??
Quoted from the Volant link

Isn't the computer supposed to adjust the air fuel mixture to?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #25
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
AFE is the way to go
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #26
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on winning!

If I had won, I'd go with the AFE Stage 2 Si.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #27
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
Quoted from the Volant link

Isn't the computer supposed to adjust the air fuel mixture to?
Yes, but the ECU assumes that the MAF sensor's readings come from an intake tube that is a specific cross section. If the intake tube is not the same size as the stock, then the ECU interprets the MAF sensor's readings wrong.

The 2nd gen TRD CAI also has the same issue.

From your list I would choose the aFe Stage II SI with the dry filter.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #28
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dcpsychobilly's Tacoma Gallery
AFE from my own experience . Congratulations man
Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #29
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Going with the AFE stage 2. That was my first instinct and now it seems the majority agrees. So that seems like the way to go.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #30
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Going with the AFE stage 2. That was my first instinct and now it seems the majority agrees. So that seems like the way to go.
great choice. you wont be dissapointed. i know i wasnt
Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #31

Well I just got an email from Autoanything stating that the AFE has been discontinued and my credit card has been credited. I haven't given any CC info. I emailed them back to see whats going on, we'll see I guess.

So I guess I may have to decide all over again.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #32
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I just got an email from Autoanything stating that the AFE has been discontinued and my credit card has been credited. I haven't given any CC info. I emailed them back to see whats going on, we'll see I guess.

So I guess I may have to decide all over again.
Odd.....why would afe stop production?

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...0L&&brandID=56

It let me add 1 to my cart through AA.......
http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...A2114A0A0.aspx
Old 02-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #33
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
If indeed ur card was credited, I bet gadget at urd has a few afe setups in the shop ready to ship......the xrunner and supercharged guys love the afe
Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
If indeed ur card was credited, I bet gadget at urd has a few afe setups in the shop ready to ship......the xrunner and supercharged guys love the afe
That part about my card was kinda sarcastic. I won the CAI drawing on the thread here from AA. I never gave a card number so I don't understand. I picked the AFe but now I'm guessing I will just have to pick a different one. The AFe was quickly my first choice then after starting this thread it quickly confirmed it for me to be the best choice. If it comes to this now, I will most likely pick the Volant. Maybe I can convince them to throw in the scoop.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #35
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
AFE stage 2 is the old TRD (unless AFE changed something too that Im not aware of)
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #36

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr114 View Post
AFE stage 2 is the old TRD (unless AFE changed something too that Im not aware of)
Ur correct.....the afe stage 2 Si is in fact identical to the older trd.

The afe housing does however have a port on the face of it towards the bottom and a silicone plug so u can choose open or closed.

Also I think the trd is oiled.

Either way, old trd was made by afe.......trd doesn't make any air filters or intakes to my knowledge, they offer others a contract to make intakes. That why the new trd is flawed.....K&N won the contract but did so in such a rush that they based the intake off of the fj intake and can throw check engine lights sometimes....this can be fixed with the urd maf calibrator tho

Why did trd need a new design? The original wasn't meeting californias emissions BS due to it removing the charcoal filter.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #37
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
Not to thread jack OP, but I have been running the old TRD since I bought the truck in 07. Never thought about doing the URDU mAF calibrator. Anyone think I should? Any strong reasons why?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #38

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr114 View Post
Not to thread jack OP, but I have been running the old TRD since I bought the truck in 07. Never thought about doing the URDU mAF calibrator. Anyone think I should? Any strong reasons why?
The maf calibrator alone brought out 15hp on a stock xrunner and camry....I don't know what u can expect with a trd intake plus the maf calibrator, but it should be able to dial in a few ponies. Lots of xrunner guys have the trd/afe or urd intakes along with the maf calibrator.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #39
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
The maf calibrator alone brought out 15hp on a stock xrunner and camry....I don't know what u can expect with a trd intake plus the maf calibrator, but it should be able to dial in a few ponies. Lots of xrunner guys have the trd/afe or urd intakes along with the maf calibrator.
Also, adding more, a lot of the X guys are running superchargers. The intake sound level with an AFE and the supercharger is apparently pretty cool.

Additionally, there was some testing done by a member on XRU. He confirmed what I also found, running a Volant scoop lowers the intake air to near ambient. The oem air intake, while a cold air inlet, still sees warmer air radiated from the ground and from engine compartment venting than air picked up in front of the radiator.

Ironically, if you follow the air path it does enter in front of the radiator, then flows to the trucks right side, down along the inside of the fender and into the airbox. The splash guards and lovers do their best to prevent easy air (water) entry.

PK