Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

My homebuilt 'True cold' air

Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #21
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have to cut where it goes through the radiator pillar? I was looking at a similar set up for my AFe using the optional opening and routing some pvc just like what you've done.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I used a 3.5" hole saw and cut through my radiator support. Used Some 3m double sided tape and 1/8" vacuum hose cut lengthwise to buffer the radiator support and intake tube
Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Water spray isn't a problem, but get splashed by a truck or do any mudding and you're up the creek without a paddle.

Also, the open element exposed to the open grille is going to pack with dirt, and take damage from insects and rocks.

I ran like that on my motorcycle for a year and finally modded the stock airbox cover to provide some shielding for the filter element.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #25
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
I should elaborate on how I use my truck:
No gravel roads
No offroading
Very few miles on highways or interstates

I have a filter sock for it anyhow.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #26
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #27
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Water will evaporate in the tube(if it makes it that far) before it even touches the throttlebody.

Um water does not evaporate that quickly without another acting force, i.e. heat.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #28
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Why not hide the filter? I've never understood why urd ran theirs right in plain sight... I'd tuck it down into the bumper or fender or some shit.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
Um water does not evaporate that quickly without another acting force, i.e. heat.
There is.. uh.. heat in the engine bay. uh.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #30
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is.. uh.. heat in the engine bay. uh.
Kinda defeats the purpose if you think your tubes will get hot enough to evaporate water?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #31
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I should elaborate on how I use my truck:
No gravel roads
No offroading
Very few miles on highways or interstates

Just curious... what do you do with the truck?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #33
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Kinda defeats the purpose if you think your tubes will get hot enough to evaporate water?
How much water do you think this intake is going to take on? You honestly think I'm running a garden hose down it? Minuscule amounts of water that *may* be consumed through the filter will not affect performance of the engine, as h2o is a biproduct of combustion.

And it was asked what I do with my truck? I keep it clean and avoid least desirable conditions.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #34
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
For all those talking about making the hood scoop functional: the hood is a negative pressure zone and therefore would actually get less air forced through the intake than the current setup.

I think the concerns about water are valid. Maybe not for hydro lock but for air intake and air filtration. I am not expert so this is pure opinion but adding water to a filter element can't be beneficial to the amount of air that passes through it.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #35
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx
Old 03-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #36
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How much water do you think this intake is going to take on? You honestly think I'm running a garden hose down it? Minuscule amounts of water that *may* be consumed through the filter will not affect performance of the engine, as h2o is a biproduct of combustion.

And it was asked what I do with my truck? I keep it clean and avoid least desirable conditions.
I see, so you can avoid rain, shouldn't be a problem then.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
For all those talking about making the hood scoop functional: the hood is a negative pressure zone and therefore would actually get less air forced through the intake than the current setup.
This.

The only advantage of opening the scoop is that it will help evacuate hot air from under the hood, even more so when parked during the hot soak.

But beyond that, it's only going to make a dirty spot on your hood.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #38
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That's what you get for trying to do something unique on TW. It could be the best mod in the universe and somebody here is going to find an issue with it and take a giant dump on you. Don't worry about them, IMO it's a pretty good mod.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #39
4 Bangin' SOB
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
If this works and you can develop one for the 2.7 I guarantee people will spend dat $$$$$
Old 03-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #40
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I see, so you can avoid rain, shouldn't be a problem then.
I've seen plenty of people run the URD intake with the water sock over the filter with no problems. Pulls air from the same place, no?
It's the OPs truck, let him do what he likes. The concerns for water intake were addressed below vvv

Quote: