Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

K&N 63 Series AirCharger High-Flow Intake Kit?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Troyton [OP] Troyton is offline
"Layed Back" Member
Troyton is on a distinguished road
 
Troyton's Avatar
Name: Troy
Joined: Feb 2013, #98694
Location: South Florida (Naples)
Gender: Male
Posts: 55
Troyton's Tacoma Gallery
K&N 63 Series AirCharger High-Flow Intake Kit?

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 TRD O.R. package.

Do you suggest the K&N 63 Series AirCharger High-Flow Intake Kit? What are all of my benefits and downfalls of installing this? Need suggestions...
Attached Thumbnails
K&N 63 Series AirCharger High-Flow Intake Kit?-kn_63series_air_intake_hero.jpg  
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
Troyton [OP] Troyton is offline
"Layed Back" Member
Troyton is on a distinguished road
 
Troyton's Avatar
Name: Troy
Joined: Feb 2013, #98694
Location: South Florida (Naples)
Gender: Male
Posts: 55
Troyton's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have any problems with the oil or sensors or anything?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Texoma's Avatar
Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Joined: Feb 2011, #50374
Location: Spring City,PA
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,511
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyton View Post
Did you have any problems with the oil or sensors or anything?

No problems at all. I've had this installed on my truck since I bought it new 3/14/2010, I put 80k miles on it, found a small, insignificant defect in the mesh of the filter when I was cleaning. So KN sent a new filter. So 85k on the assembly, 5k on the newer filter. I cleaned the MAF when I would clean the filter, clean the TB every 30k, and no problems to report.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Justus's Avatar
Name: Brock
Joined: Jan 2013, #94417
Location: Paso Robles
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,861
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Its gunna draw hotter air than stock I assume, k&n filter bad....high flow but bad filtering (u can't have both sadly).

Be very very careful wit oiling.....I've had 3 or 4 maf issues on past vehicles.......clean ur maf sensor regularly if u go this route.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #6
Senior Member
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Texoma's Avatar
Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Joined: Feb 2011, #50374
Location: Spring City,PA
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,511
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Its gunna draw hotter air than stock I assume, k&n filter bad....high flow but bad filtering (u can't have both sadly).

Be very very careful wit oiling.....I've had 3 or 4 maf issues on past vehicles.......clean ur maf sensor regularly if u go this route.
Only draws warmer air when sitting at idle. Once the vehicle is moving, the IAT drops to ambient. Over oiling will foul sensors and and put extra gunk on the TB.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Justus's Avatar
Name: Brock
Joined: Jan 2013, #94417
Location: Paso Robles
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,861
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Only draws warmer air when sitting at idle. Once the vehicle is moving, the IAT drops to ambient. Over oiling will foul sensors and and put extra gunk on the TB.
That's impressive....where does the cool air come in?
Through the grill, past the condensor, radiator, trans cooler?

What di u measure with?

I've had mine very lightly oiled on a maxima and celica....both fouled the maf.....comically I seen a friend buy a used corolla and drove it for a year with no issues, then she had to have the maf cleaned....the car was only 4yrs ol at most.....the prior owner put an exhaust on it, rims, and the usual rice stickers...I always assumed he ran a K&N....funny how it got gummed up even though she only used factory filters (which filter much better and I bet allow enough flow to feed the lil 4 cylinder).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Senior Member
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Texoma's Avatar
Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Joined: Feb 2011, #50374
Location: Spring City,PA
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,511
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
That's impressive....where does the cool air come in?
Through the grill, past the condensor, radiator, trans cooler?

What di u measure with?

I've had mine very lightly oiled on a maxima and celica....both fouled the maf.....comically I seen a friend buy a used corolla and drove it for a year with no issues, then she had to have the maf cleaned....the car was only 4yrs ol at most.....the prior owner put an exhaust on it, rims, and the usual rice stickers...I always assumed he ran a K&N....funny how it got gummed up even though she only used factory filters (which filter much better and I bet allow enough flow to feed the lil 4 cylinder).
I would imagine the cooler than engine bay air, comes in through the same hole as the stock intake draws air from, and any where else. I measured using the IAT sensor through my OBD2 hook up. The temp drop was about 15*f from idle to moving. Ambient at the time was 45*f. Though, I have not checked the temp on a stock intake, I surely will once I remove the FIPK and re install my stock, then again when I install the snorkel. When I first read all of the debated Hot air intake vs stock, I had to find out for my self, so I did. Though there may be other factors involved, I will see if I can cover them all when I do my little road test. But I agree that an oiled filter will cause build up, and I took that in to account, and cleaned the sensitive parts that would be affected.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Justus's Avatar
Name: Brock
Joined: Jan 2013, #94417
Location: Paso Robles
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,861
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
I would imagine the cooler than engine bay air, comes in through the same hole as the stock intake draws air from, and any where else. I measured using the IAT sensor through my OBD2 hook up. The temp drop was about 15*f from idle to moving. Ambient at the time was 45*f. Though, I have not checked the temp on a stock intake, I surely will once I remove the FIPK and re install my stock, then again when I install the snorkel. When I first read all of the debated Hot air intake vs stock, I had to find out for my self, so I did. Though there may be other factors involved, I will see if I can cover them all when I do my little road test. But I agree that an oiled filter will cause build up, and I took that in to account, and cleaned the sensitive parts that would be affected.
Gotcha.... let us know what u find.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K&N 63 Series Intake Enino12 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace 12 03-26-2013 07:58 PM
K&N Cold Air Intake 4.0L 63 Series w/Recharge Kit CAI # 63-9025 Ostrichsak 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace 8 10-31-2012 04:13 PM
K&N intake 63 Series Lukes Buy / Sell / Trade 3 02-17-2012 10:15 PM
'05+ 2.7L Tacoma: Trade my stock air box for a K&N 63 Series Aircharger straight? Stupid hurts. 4 Cylinder 30 10-28-2009 11:59 PM
K&N 63 Series AirCharger TacticalTaco Performance and Tuning 10 06-22-2008 10:02 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.