Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Muffler Question

Old 03-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Muffler Question

I've decided to put a muffler on my truck. I'm not really expecting any pefromance gains, I really just want a better exhaust note. After driving my truck 75K miles I'm a little bored of the stock quiet exhaust.

I've decided I really like the sound of the Magnaflow 18" muffler. From what I've read its agressive when your on the throttle without droning or being obnoxious, exactly what I want.

To use the stock exhaust piping, what size muffler do I need? I've read several people saying the stock Tacoma has 2.25 piping and others saying 2.5. Also, what set up exactly should I get for the easiest install? I believe I need a center inlet/offset outlet. The Magnaflow site doesnt seem to help because it wants to sell me an entire exhaust rather than just the muffler/
Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Tacoskull is on a distinguished road
Name: Dery
Tacoskull's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
I've decided to put a muffler on my truck. I'm not really expecting any pefromance gains, I really just want a better exhaust note. After driving my truck 75K miles I'm a little bored of the stock quiet exhaust.

I've decided I really like the sound of the Magnaflow 18" muffler. From what I've read its agressive when your on the throttle without droning or being obnoxious, exactly what I want.

To use the stock exhaust piping, what size muffler do I need? I've read several people saying the stock Tacoma has 2.25 piping and others saying 2.5. Also, what set up exactly should I get for the easiest install? I believe I need a center inlet/offset outlet. The Magnaflow site doesnt seem to help because it wants to sell me an entire exhaust rather than just the muffler/
I just put my on yesterday. MagnaFlow Part # 12256
Center inlet/Offset outlet
5" Body Height
8" Body Width
18" Body Length
24" Overall Length
2.5" Core Diameter
I bought it from www.autoanything.com
It fit perfectly and it sounds great.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly the info i was hoping for!

What all was involved in install? Ive always just assumed it was cht out the old and weld in the new.

Got a soundclip? Everything I've seen on this muffler has it having a nice almost Euro sound too it.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
I love my magnaflow. I'm a 4cyl tho. I bought mine at advanced, a universal one. Had a muffler shop cut off my old and put in my new on. I had it dumped at rear axle. Think I have 100$ total in my exhaust. Defiantly worth it to me! Power gains- not for me but I love the sound.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Tacoma SD is on a distinguished road

Name: Cameron
Tacoma SD's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know the difference in the center in/out versus center in and offset out?

Sound or tone different? Louder vs quieter? Etc...
Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
OKay guys, been searching for an hour now, everyone says something different.

Are the 2005-2011 mufflers 2.25 or 2.5" diameter? Once determined, we should put it as a sticky (hopefully it's not already there)
Old 06-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
OKay guys, been searching for an hour now, everyone says something different.

Are the 2005-2011 mufflers 2.25 or 2.5" diameter? Once determined, we should put it as a sticky (hopefully it's not already there)
2012's are 2.25"

... I would guess they didn't change between the two years
Old 06-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha88 View Post
2012's are 2.25"

... I would guess they didn't change between the two years
But aren't the older trucks (like mine) 2.5? it seems like people on here have bought both and it works out alright. I just want to get the best fitting size so the shop doesn't charger me extra for extra time making the muffler fit.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
But aren't the older trucks (like mine) 2.5? it seems like people on here have bought both and it works out alright. I just want to get the best fitting size so the shop doesn't charger me extra for extra time making the muffler fit.
I accidentally ordered the 2.5" and then realized it after the fact, knowing that my piping is 2.25". I called the guy that was going to do my install to see if we should change the order and he said something that close would be fine. Might want to call a shop and ask.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Jay, I think it's the opposite, the older trucks are 2.25 and the newer are 2.5. Not sure when the switchover happened though (12, 13 ??). I put a 2.5 Magnaflow on mine and the 2.5 fit right over the stock pipe and was then welded up.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Jay, I think it's the opposite, the older trucks are 2.25 and the newer are 2.5. Not sure when the switchover happened though (12, 13 ??). I put a 2.5 Magnaflow on mine and the 2.5 fit right over the stock pipe and was then welded up.
Okay, then I'll order the 2.5 to just be safe. Thanks a lot guys.