Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2013 Tacoma Cold Air Intake Availability

Old 03-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #41
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer0247 View Post
^^^ this is true Dyno'd my R32 with and without my cold air and the gains were very minimal 1 to 3 hp maybe (never ever close to 15 thats for sure)....all hype really.....
If it isn't the same engine and vehicle it's like comparing apples and ice team, not even close. Your statement is just useless, sorry.

As for gains in a tacoma, look at the chart posted and read gadgets quote I posted, that's not a bad gain IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Feel free to send a letter to K&N and AEM thanking them for designing air filters that allow damaging levels of silicon into your engine while providing marginal at best gains.
Rich, we get it, you don't like cai's. the OP asked for intakes that fit the new models, not opinions on if he should get one or if they are any good. I understand this is a free forum but you really aren't contributing anything useful here right now.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #42
Rsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Rsoxfan1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceTaco View Post
Why us it there is always some guy who comes on a thread and just has to argue the negative man... F$&k it annoys me about this site...
It's usually the same people in every thread....
Old 03-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #43
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
The main point that I'm trying to make is that everything on a consumer vehicle is a compromise.
Designs are compromised in consideration of balancing safety, performance, emissions, and comfort.
The stock intake system was designed to be the best compromise between performance, filtering capability, and noise.
You can change it to alter the balance, but the change will still compromise the three.

If you believe the marketing hype, more power to you. Just be honest with yourself on whether the $200+ you spent is really worth it.
The noise issue? I could care less about it, but it ties into the above... the increase noise is often believed to be an indication of "better throttle response"... Install the new intake and drive wearing earplugs and see if you still believe that.
The filtration performance? Even Amsoil admits that their (AEM) elements do not filter as well as the factory filter. The only aftermarket filters that are going to do as well as the one that came with the truck are the Donaldson filters... but now you're back to a disposable filter that's going to cost more than a K&N. Keep an eye out on the road and see how many "tuners" less than 10 years old are blowing oil smoke leaving every light.
There's a reason for that.

Just be aware that everything is a tradeoff. There are no magic intakes on the market that are going to get you 30hp, increase 5mpg, and still filter as well as the factory system. Could one be designed? Sure, but it would be too expensive compared to what's out there now and it wouldn't sell.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #44
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I get what you're saying but you kind of prove the point that a new intake can increase power. Like you said, the oem intake is a compromise, less power for less sound. Not everybody wants more power so toyota went with quiet over power. I think the issue some people have is they have made the decision to get an intake and then others shit on them without actually helping. The OP asked what intakes are being made for the newest models, and it got pulled off into this argument. I just don't understand why, if you don't like something or don't agree with something, you can't just state your opinion and then let it go?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #45
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I get what you're saying but you kind of prove the point that a new intake can increase power. Like you said, the oem intake is a compromise, less power for less sound. Not everybody wants more power so toyota went with quiet over power. I think the issue some people have is they have made the decision to get an intake and then others shit on them without actually helping. The OP asked what intakes are being made for the newest models, and it got pulled off into this argument. I just don't understand why, if you don't like something or don't agree with something, you can't just state your opinion and then let it go?
But the aftermarket intake, by itself, won't make a notable difference in power.

Couple it with headers and a URD tune, then you've got something... or a supercharger.

But just bolting on an intake and running isn't going to really "do" anything other than potentially worsen filtration.
Now, the Volant with the Donaldson filter? I've got no problem with that design. I'd run one... but I also don't believe that it would make a $300+ difference in performance/MPG, and that is always the reason given for wanting an intake.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #46

Ok, I give up. You win, I quit. OP, you might be better off pm'ing somebody with any questions you have.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #47
Ricks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MWSS 171, 374,
Name: Rick
Ricks2013's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be honest here, the main reason I want an aftermarket intake is for the louder throaty sound when stomping on it. I realize that I probably wont feel any seat of the pants hp gain (although the louder sound might do a little something mentally) even if there is a couple hp gain, but thats cool with me. $300 for great sounding truck for the next 10+ years is worth it imo.
After reading all these CAI threads though I do think I will stick with a dry filter (getting the URD system).
Old 03-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #48
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks2013 View Post
I'll be honest here, the main reason I want an aftermarket intake is for the louder throaty sound when stomping on it. I realize that I probably wont feel any seat of the pants hp gain (although the louder sound might do a little something mentally) even if there is a couple hp gain, but thats cool with me. $300 for great sounding truck for the next 10+ years is worth it imo.
After reading all these CAI threads though I do think I will stick with a dry filter (getting the URD system).

Don't forget the splash shield gadget sells, and just in case, u may want a hydrophobic sock for any torrential downpours.....gadget sells the socks also.

Enjoy it......that intake will give u a decent roar outside, and a not so obnoxious growl inside
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #49
Ricks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Is that splash guard really necessary in your opinion? I wasn't sure if i was going to get it or not. I do have an aftermarket grill (mesh type)though so probably better safe then sorry. We have some pretty heavy rain here in FL so I will get the sock. I cant wait to get this thing!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #50
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is that splash guard really necessary in your opinion? I wasn't sure if i was going to get it or not. I do have an aftermarket grill (mesh type)though so probably better safe then sorry. We have some pretty heavy rain here in FL so I will get the sock. I cant wait to get this thing!

Yep......run the shield in light rain.......sock in heavy rain, or if playing in mud.

The sock will make it a bit sluggish... a moderator came to the same conclusion a few yrs ago.

Carry on
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #51
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I live just south of Houston and we've been known to get rain. I have the shield only and have not had any problems (installed last summer). If I were you I'd get the shield only and only invest in the sock if you find you need it. Reality is who wants to be putting a sock over their air filter in a driving rain??
Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #52
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjimenRR View Post
I disagree. While the factory air box tubing does go into the fender well there is a half dome piece at the end facing away from the front of the truck that makes it ineffective for a cold air intake system. There are many dyno sheets floating around from actual members that show true gains with an aftermarket intake

A link to said "true" gains via a dyno report of pre and post installation would be needed to validate this claim. A simple stock vs. aftermarket CAI with nothing else done will net very little if nothing at all.

And Rich is right, it is a CAI from the factory, just because there is a splash guard on the intake snout does not mean it does not ingest "Cold" air i.e. ambient outside air.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #53
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Werty View Post
you will have a hard time finding individuals with enough money to blow on dyno runs just to show intake gains..that would be silly...this does not mean that they dont exist. case in point....URD sells these things and has the means to test them for our benefit

isn't that using a maf calibrator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
Old 04-09-2013, 03:45 AM   #54

I just put in the URD CAI this past weekend and I'm loving it! I didn't get the MAF calibrator yet, just the Intake kit. I did everything per the instructions and its working great! No "check engine light" and it runs and sounds great.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #55

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just put in the URD CAI this past weekend and I'm loving it! I didn't get the MAF calibrator yet, just the Intake kit. I did everything per the instructions and its working great! No "check engine light" and it runs and sounds great.
Enjoy.....the maf calibrator will lessen that rush of fuel it delivers when u blip the throttle and or mash the pedal in an emergency situation which causes a little hesitation.

The maf cal will lean the mixture some and knock off that initial "whooosh" u hear before the truck actually tries to play catch up with all the fuel dumped down its throat..... without the maf cal, it just sounds groggy, or lazy when u blip the throttle....its a low, kind of sound for a split second, then the engine clears up
Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #56
TacoCBR is on a distinguished road

TacoCBR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
isn't that using a maf calibrator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
anyone else notice the ass grab at 2:16?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #57
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
OK well to put to rest the k&n thing it really depends where you live and how you oil the filter I have one and it works fine and I live where there is no sand plus I drive it mostly highway so it helps the mileage a little I will never need another filter so as I said it depends where you live
Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #58
whitelightning is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
whitelightning's Tacoma Gallery
Is anyone running one of these volant intakes? I bought a 2013 trd sport with a supercharger and looking to put a cai on but very few options for the new tacos.. I ran across the volant and they look the part but was wondering if anyone had personal experience with one
Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #59
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelightning View Post
Is anyone running one of these volant intakes? I bought a 2013 trd sport with a supercharger and looking to put a cai on but very few options for the new tacos.. I ran across the volant and they look the part but was wondering if anyone had personal experience with one
I'm thinking of going with the same unit.. I haven't heard anyone running the 12+ on here so far...