LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Exhaust Cut-Outs ?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
rcrick263 is on a distinguished road

rcrick263's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust Cut-Outs ?

Has anyone installed electronic exhaust cutouts on the 4.0 V6? Any power increase at all? Any better fuel economy? I'm sure they work great for older V8 vehicles and stuff, but does anyone know if they would do any good on a Tacoma besides make noise?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Mostly just noise makers.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Only good for boosted motors.... vrrrrroooom pshhhhhhhhhhh
Old 02-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Only good for boosted motors.... vrrrrroooom pshhhhhhhhhhh
Depending on the amount of boost. I have seen a few boosted motors get less h.p. with open pipes. Over 10 psi, though, and yes...they help.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Yeh, I just installed a E-cutout on a 94 3000gt VR4 twinturbo thats running about 14psi, and by the seat of the pants dyno, it made quite a difference.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #6

Do you think they would sound good at all? I would probably install them after the cats and O2 sensors so it don't screw up computer readings but i wonder how much the cats would muffle? I noticed there are four of them!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Yeh, I just installed a E-cutout on a 94 3000gt VR4 twinturbo thats running about 14psi, and by the seat of the pants dyno, it made quite a difference.
Im sure it did. Be nice to see it on the rollers. But its hard to find a 4 wheel dyno.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #8

I've heard that people have got better fuel economy with cutouts by changing back pressure by adjusting the cutout partially open or close. Does anyone know if this is true?

I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to get some, Lol! I just think it would be cool to have some! Sometimes i want Loud exhaust sound and other times i want completely stock sound. But thats a lot of money just to do that! It would probably be cheaper for a whole exhaust system that will perform well too! Ill probably just do that.

I don't know, but here is a video of how they work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0tk5k7Gyp4
Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
I had a cutout on my 99 camaro, sounded good and loud at low rpms, but when you opened it up it got to be a little much.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoruptTaco View Post
I had a cutout on my 99 camaro, sounded good and loud at low rpms, but when you opened it up it got to be a little much.
Did your camaro have a v8 or v6?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #11
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I was just going to post a quesiton about these cut out thingys.

Do they give better performance?

Do you need backpressure and if it's not there will you loose torque?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O9uX...eature=related
Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 AM   #13

With cut outs you loose h.p. and mpg.
Read this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ine-basic.html
Old 02-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
type o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nice

type o negative's Tacoma Gallery
I installed cut offs in my 06 Mustang GT. Sounded AMAZING! oull up to a stop light and some ricer wants to race, open those bad boys up and its like a rottweiler barking at a chiuaua BUT. I lost so much bottom end! Unless you have a lot of work done I think the motor relies on the back pressure for the a lot of the torque, think putting your thumb over part of the hose to make a higher power stream.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by type o negative View Post
I installed cut offs in my 06 Mustang GT. Sounded AMAZING! oull up to a stop light and some ricer wants to race, open those bad boys up and its like a rottweiler barking at a chiuaua BUT. I lost so much bottom end! Unless you have a lot of work done I think the motor relies on the back pressure for the a lot of the torque, think putting your thumb over part of the hose to make a higher power stream.
Actually, Scavenging of the exhaust is much more important than back pressure.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
type o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nicetype o negative is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Actually, Scavenging of the exhaust is much more important than back pressure.
Which also makes sense. I just figured that was the only thing I could think of to why I would have less bottom end. Top end was way better, i figured it was becuase once im at the top end there is enough flowing that it wouldnt need back pressure. Keep in mind, I have no idea how the physics anything auto work
Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #17

Read the stuff I worte. I posted a link to how it all works in post #13 above.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Read the stuff I worte. I posted a link to how it all works in post #13 above.

That was a great write up! Helps me understand a lot better, explains perfectly why cut off are NOT a great idea if your looking for performance.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by type o negative View Post
That was a great write up! Helps me understand a lot better, explains perfectly why cut off are NOT a great idea if your looking for performance.
Glad you liked it, and it cleared things up for ya.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #20

Quote:
With cut outs you loose h.p. and mpg.
Read this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ine-basic.html
Nice right up! I learned a lot from it. You have answered all my questions. Thank you very much! Definitely not getting cutouts. Lol!

(Off Subject)
Sorry but what are the green dot things below everyone's name? Is it reputation? How does it work? Someone gave me "rep points", how do i give them points?

Oh and thanks for moving my thread to the right category! Whoever might have done that.