1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cv axle assembly help!!!!! On axle #5 :/!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by nothinlikeayota, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Mar 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM
    nothinlikeayota

nothinlikeayota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Mooresville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD sport dc lb 4x4
    Stock for now
    I could really use some help with this!! So here's the deal, I've got a 05 Tacoma access cab trdsport 4wd with revtek leveling kit (on the truck when I bought it).

A while back my passenger cv boot needed replacing so my mechanic decides to replace the whole axle assembly all in one boots and all. I get it home check out the new boot and noticed the number of ribs on the inner and outer boots didnt match the number of ribs on my driver side (factory toyota axle) boots I figured mister mechanic knew what he was doing....I'm afraid I was wrong in doing so.

6 weeks go by I check the axle/boots it's got a hole in the outer boot, take it back replaced whole assembly again, this axle's boot ribs again did not match the driver side and again only 5 weeks later a hole in the outer boot.

Third axle assembly is put on and again the boot ribs not matching driver side at this point I'm on axle assembly #3 and frustrated so I ask about the number of ribs he says it should be fine....3 weeks later hole in outer boot and slow watery/greasy leak where the axle meets the transfer case (Clearly I'm no mechanic so sorry if that isn't what the axle goes into)

Forth axle is put in still leaking watery/greasy fluid from where the axle meets the transfer case only this time number of ribs on both boots match my driver side (factory Toyota one). Leak wasn't subsiding so took it back he said it didn't look like there was a seal where their should be he will order another whole new assembly only this time he tells me he thinks all of this trouble is because it's lifted mind you I don't wheel my truck what so every! So now he is having an axle custom made that is 1/2 inch longer than stock axle because he says my lift is causing the problem?!?

I'm no genius but there is no way a leveling lift could be causing this madness. Any ideas on this?!? Thanks for reading all of that nonsense and thanks for your help!!

2. Mar 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    thats sounds stupid...do the fins touch at ride height?

3. Mar 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Get a Toyota axle. Aftermarket ones use cheap ass boots. Super simple stuff.

4. Mar 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM
    CASTRATE

CASTRATE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    SW of Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 6spd
    Cv axle goes into front differential FYI. Check if fins touch. Take it to a different mechanic

5. Mar 16, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    nothinlikeayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Mooresville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD sport dc lb 4x4
    Stock for now
    Well here is how it sits ride height
    [​IMG]

Here is the drip, it doesn't drip enough to leave a puddle but it has this drip every day, every time I look at it. Also when I reverse and turn at the same time it binds up, makes a god awful noise. That only started after this last time he looked at it and decided that I need a longer axle :confused:
    [​IMG]

6. Mar 16, 2013 at 6:25 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    WELL IT LOOKS AS IF ITS NOT YOUR BOOT THATS LEAKING SEAMS TO BE THE SEAL ON YOUR DIFF THATS LEAKING
    YOUR MECHANIC NEEDS A SLAP
    TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE
    AND GET A TOYO CV OR A CVJ CV

7. Mar 16, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    nothinlikeayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Mooresville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD sport dc lb 4x4
    Stock for now
    The first 3 axles were the ones that the boots ripped on not this one. The leak began during the third axle and has continued. The mechanics explanation is that the seal must have broke from being changed so many times. The only reason I have gone back is one he has been doing it all for free after the first one went bad. He thinks he has a fix for it and he is an old guy, family friend, it's a small town I'm gonna try and let him get his satisfaction. However this will be the last time I visit him. The stealership wants right under 500 bucks to put a new axle assembly in which is why I have stuck with my mechanic. I've watched him do it enough times I could do it myself just don't know where to buy the exact part I need at the best price, no way an axle assembly should cost more then a couple hundred bucks!? :confused:

8. Mar 16, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    nothinlikeayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Mooresville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD sport dc lb 4x4
    Stock for now
    Thanks for the knowledge I'm still tryin learn about our trucks and well vehicles in general so it's much appreciated. Sorry if I seem like a dumbass to some of you yota/vehicle buffs, gotta start somewhere right?

9. Mar 16, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    i think its about $75 for the cvj axle and a $75 core charge plush shipping
    http://www.cvjreman.com/

and you can get special boots for the inside boot for a few extra $$$

10. Mar 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    Here is a good tip.

Don't buy or use anything but Toyota axle assemblies.

I blew up the outer joint in my 4Runner before I got good at running the front ARB locker.

Got aftermarket axles with a lifetime warranty and carried extras with me wheeling.

I would break those thing like twigs and got really good at swapping them out in the field.

They were all crap. Broke way to easy. Finally wized up and got a Toyota unit and never broke it again.

G

11. Mar 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    nothinlikeayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Mooresville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD sport dc lb 4x4
    Stock for now
    Awesome thanks again for the help guys. Once tax money comes a true toyota axle will be purchased.

Goes to show the better deal isn't always the right one. Lesson learned.

About the binding noise when I turn sharp while backing up I'm assuming that's because of the lack of gear oil in the font dif because of the leak?

Products Discussed in

To Top