Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Performance Chips??

Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
lostacrossfla is on a distinguished road

lostacrossfla's Tacoma Gallery
Performance Chips??

I just got an 07 tacoma and i was looking for a chip but i cant find any for the new ones..does anyone know where i can find one?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostacrossfla View Post
I just got an 07 tacoma and i was looking for a chip but i cant find any for the new ones..does anyone know where i can find one?

basically, i think "chips" that actually do anything are a thing of the past......at least for the new tacomas. check out urdusa.com, as they have the maf calibrator which is probably what you are looking for( though it is a little pricey). hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
lostacrossfla is on a distinguished road

lostacrossfla's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the help.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostacrossfla View Post
Check this thread for an in-depth discussion about "snake oil" performance chips, and how the URD maf calibrator is really the only product you'd want changing the stock settings on your taco.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...ir-intake.html
Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
reid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reid's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone heard if we might be doing a group buy on the URD MAF sensor calibrator?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:00 AM   #6
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
Has anyone heard if we might be doing a group buy on the URD MAF sensor calibrator?
Unfortunatley, no. Mine just came in... so it better not be any cheaper!
Old 09-07-2007, 05:25 AM   #7
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
I am going to revisit the URD Group Buy question in the spring. If we have enough interest by that point, we will look into getting one going. Of course, if there is enough interest sooner, we will look into it sooner.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
lkout4trucks is on a distinguished road

lkout4trucks's Tacoma Gallery
is there any software for a full PCM(ECU) tune? i own a gmc canyon(chevy colorado) and i have my computer custom tuned. reallllly made a diff in performance.

what kind of power are you all making from this maf calibration mod?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkout4trucks View Post
is there any software for a full PCM(ECU) tune? i own a gmc canyon(chevy colorado) and i have my computer custom tuned. reallllly made a diff in performance.

what kind of power are you all making from this maf calibration mod?
For a totally bone stock truck the MAF calibrator all by itself makes 15 additional REAR WHEEL horsepower. And it is user tunable, so after you add your CAI or header and exhaust you can re-tune it to make t he most out of those mods as well.

Read about it here.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #10

wow thats not bad at all if thats actual REAR WHEEL hp. from just a MAF calibration i dont see how you could tune it for an exhaust or something if its just from the MAF but im no professional.

do your trucks have issues with speed limiters or torque management? can that tuner adjust shift points?? i think being a 2005 and a toyota it might take another year or so to get an actual tuner for you guys.

base hp is what tho? pretty sure its more than the 5cyl colorado.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
base hp on the v6 is 236 or 238...one of the 2
Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
Spyder327 is on a distinguished road

Spyder327's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spyder327
Quote:
wow thats not bad at all if thats actual REAR WHEEL hp. from just a MAF calibration i dont see how you could tune it for an exhaust or something if its just from the MAF but im no professional.

do your trucks have issues with speed limiters or torque management? can that tuner adjust shift points?? i think being a 2005 and a toyota it might take another year or so to get an actual tuner for you guys.

base hp is what tho? pretty sure its more than the 5cyl colorado.
The calibrator essentially gives you control over the air/fuel ratio... exhaust/intake mods can alter the AFR so recalibrating the unit after adding those mods will give you the most power.

The reason they are able to make more power on a stock tacoma is because they run rich from the factory, so you can tune the AFR right where you want it.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #13

yeh gm does the same. actually they run wayyyy too rich. at least there is some form of tuning for the moment. there has got to be a company that does or is working on more detailed tuning for the tacos. if i do end up selling my truck and getting one i'll def have to look into it more. thanks.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:19 AM   #14

Quote:
yeh gm does the same. actually they run wayyyy too rich. at least there is some form of tuning for the moment. there has got to be a company that does or is working on more detailed tuning for the tacos. if i do end up selling my truck and getting one i'll def have to look into it more. thanks.
what are you expecting to see as far as "more detailed"?
Old 09-28-2007, 08:36 AM   #15

heres from the HP tuners website:

Engine
* EGR, Air Pump, COT Enable/Disable and controls
* Rev Limiters, Idle Speed and characteristics
* Throttle Follower and Cracker
* MAF Tables, Main VE and Cranking VE
* Power Enrich fuel controls
* Closed Loop/Open Loop characteristics
* Injectors
* Spark Advance and Retard
Engine Diagnostics
* MAP Error Values
* MAF Error Values
* Misfire Values
* DTC's
Transmission
* Shift Speeds
* Shift Firmness and Time
* TCC Parameters and Tables
* C.A.G.S.
Transmission Diagnostics
* Trans Slip Test Conditions
System
* PRNDL Flag
* Fan Type Select
* VATS
* Fan On/Off Temps
* A/C Parameters
Speedometer
* Speedometer
* Speed Limiter

its pretty much a full tune. i dont do the tuning myself i have a friend who does mine so hes the knowledgeable one on the subject but anyways im just surprised there isnt a more advanced tuner for the tacos. like i said, im sure one will come out soon enough.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #16
freak21s2k is on a distinguished road
freak21s2k's Tacoma Gallery
how much does the MAF caibrator run? probably not cheap huh?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 AM   #17

Quote:
heres from the HP tuners website:

...its pretty much a full tune. i dont do the tuning myself i have a friend who does mine so hes the knowledgeable one on the subject but anyways im just surprised there isnt a more advanced tuner for the tacos. like i said, im sure one will come out soon enough.
I would highly doubt anything like that will be coming out soon...
reason being is that there really wouldn't be much of a point to make changes to a lot of things on that list. Unless you're going forced induction, all you really need for the tune is to control fuel. The ECU is already controlling/monitoring everything else on that list and if a problem arises, it'd let you know by setting a check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak21s2k View Post
how much does the MAF caibrator run? probably not cheap huh?
not really bad at all, $228
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260198051
Old 09-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #18

yeh. i have had most of those changes done to mine. the program is $800 but my friend charges $50-100 for his time and then another $100 for the rights to tune your VIN through HPtuners.

for the power you guys are seeing $228 is a good price tho
Old 11-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #19
divetaco is on a distinguished road

divetaco's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone ever tried a ACR performance chip off of ebay. or is this just Bull
I have a 2008 4.0L taco
Old 11-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #20
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
any performance "chip" for the new taco's dont exist...the things they sell on ebay is a lil plastic box w/ resistors in it and wires coming out of it...yet another waste of money