Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

TRD CAI Filter Replacement vs Cleaning

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
cdn_bacon has a spectacular aura aboutcdn_bacon has a spectacular aura aboutcdn_bacon has a spectacular aura about

Name: Christopher
cdn_bacon's Tacoma Gallery
Cool TRD CAI Filter Replacement vs Cleaning

I'm at the 60k mark and I've decided to do as much of the maintenance on the truck myself as I can. One of the things I really need to do is either replace or clean the TRD CAI filter. After researching a bit I came across several options but first I should add the caveat that I put the TRD filter in the CAI dry which I'm not sure if I was suppose to do or not so I can only imagine how dirty it is and how its been affecting my MPG.

Options:
Clean and oil the existing TRD CAI filter?

Replace with stock new TRD CAI filter - $55 + ship
http://www.onlinetoyotaparts.com/oem...TR0535066.html

Replace with AFE filter which you can get either a dry or wet model.
aFe P/N 24-91021 around $70.

So what should I do here? I guess it makes sense to get a TRD CAI filter replacement since I found one in stock and its cheaper than the AFE filter. Does this need to be oiled?

oh... if anyone knows where to get a cheap AC cabin filter too please post it up. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Replace with afe pro dry S

I buy my cabin filters from the dealership.....they beat napa and kragens price, same with oil filters

Btw, trd doesn't make filters.................. so don't worry about "trd" matching products.....toyota has K&N, or AFE make their "trd" gauze air filters
Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
cdn_bacon has a spectacular aura aboutcdn_bacon has a spectacular aura aboutcdn_bacon has a spectacular aura about

Name: Christopher
cdn_bacon's Tacoma Gallery
I thought I read somewhere that the pro dry doesn't last as long as a wet filter. Is that true?

Recommend anywhere to get a Pro dry for a decent price? It's more than buying a replacement filter from the stealership.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_bacon View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the pro dry doesn't last as long as a wet filter. Is that true?

Recommend anywhere to get a Pro dry for a decent price? It's more than buying a replacement filter from the stealership.
I honestly don't know what u mean about lasting as long...........

Dry filter will be better for MAF sensor.

As for the afe dry, try amazon, gadget at urdusa.com, orbuy/sell/trade area

Running an amsoil right now with the urd, but I had the afe at 1 point years ago and it seemed fine.

Ymmv............certain climates/driving conditions may not be good for a dry filter and stock would be safer.....again, ymmv
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
If you decide to clean it, get the AFE cleaning kit instead of the trd clean kit. The afe is half the price and the same exact kit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Slight bump..

Similar question here. Anyone know if there is a dry replacement for the 2nd gen TRD. It uses a flat oiled filter.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Similar question, how long do you guys usually go before replacing a reusable filter?

I've got 85,000 miles on the TRD CAI with its original filter. Due for another cleaning. Not sure if I should just clean it again or replace. The tube behind the filter is spotless so I guess the filter is still doing its job just fine.

I've been using K&N cleaning/oil kit every 15-20k miles.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
Calidrifter is on a distinguished road
Calidrifter's Tacoma Gallery
Every 3rd or 4th oil change is fine to clean the filter as that's usually when you are supposed to change the filter anyway.

In regards to the question on longevity of the pro dry vs oiled. The oiled version is meant to last longer as it is reusable. The dry is meant to be replaced every 15-20k miles.

Products Discussed in this Thread