Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

horsepower/gas mileage increase

Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
eapple is on a distinguished road
eapple's Tacoma Gallery
horsepower/gas mileage increase

To maximize horsepower and fuel mileage would it be best to install cold air intake with a chip and high flow exhaust?? also how do you determine which chip to install if you change to cold air intake?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
No, use less skinny pedal.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Need more info about your truck.
This first, but usually the words horsepower and MPG don't go together.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Kevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevoh
Kevoh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
This first, but usually the words horsepower and MPG don't go together.

LOL @ This. Fucking love it lol
Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Get your ECU calibrated don't think you can buy a plastic chip and make your truck basically faster and better mpg
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
The myth that intake and exhaust help mpg is false.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
a chip and intake and exhaust will get you substantially more horsepower and mpg after you get a new engine and throw the other stuff away.

but seriously, chips do crap
intakes are usually crap
exhausts get minimal gains

forced induction is the only real way to get a noticeable gain, but then bye bye mpgs, cause you don't buy a corvette to watch grass grow
Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
I am going all in on horse power. And could give a shit about gas mileage. You will gain nothing size able or noticeable unless you put down 2k+ and then you can start burning more dead dinosaur juices.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Increase in HP=Trade Taco for Tundra

Increase in MPG=Trade Taco for Corolla.

Best compromise is probably a supercharger. But then, who cares about MPG. Cost of supercharger will pay for lots of gas. On second thought, leave it stock. Toyota spent lots of money engineering a decent compromise.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
Get your ECU calibrated
Wait what?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
Wait what?
I meant the MAF.

because everyone on Tacomaworld loves to jump on the first guy who makes a mistake
Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #15
eapple is on a distinguished road
eapple's Tacoma Gallery
it is a 2007 tacoma double cab ... completely stock. I pull a camper and really just looking for a little more hp only reason i even mentioned gas mileage is the last mustang i had when i put cold air intake on the mpg increased for all these smart@sses on here!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #16
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapple View Post
it is a 2007 tacoma double cab ... completely stock. I pull a camper and really just looking for a little more hp only reason i even mentioned gas mileage is the last mustang i had when i put cold air intake on the mpg increased for all these smart@sses on here!!!
Yeah... Apples to oranges. Get a lighter rim and tire combo to reduce rotating mass.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #17
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
not really gonna happen in these trucks... Sorry bud
Old 04-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #18
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapple View Post
You'll definitely pick up power with an Afe or URD intake. Gas mileage will be most dependant on gas pedal, tire pressure and all sorts of other factors.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
TacoOwner is on a distinguished road

Name: Pat
TacoOwner's Tacoma Gallery
MPG

I have a 2011 V6 Taco 6" lift. Avg mileage 18-20. I didn't see any improvement after intake/exhaust changes, until I changed the clutch fan to an electric and got a BullyDog Watch dog to show me where I was wasting fuel.
PS. I have Manual Trans. I don't think you can get this mileage with a Auto.
Hope that helps.