LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

TSynthetic oil dries out seals?????

Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Stamford Fire Department, Group 3 truck 3
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
TSynthetic oil dries out seals?????

...My buddy told me that if ive been useing conventional oil, whether gear or engine, to stick with it because synthetic dries out the seals...is this true?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
No.

Synthetic oil will not damage your seals, not will it cause leaks. If you have an existing leak, synthetic oil MAY make the leak worse.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
No...
Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Beat ya Max!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Stamford Fire Department, Group 3 truck 3
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks fellas.....I thought that sounded off...My truck just hit 92k and I want to switch to synthetic on the next change.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
syn has less additives and doesnt cause swelling of seals...................dino usually DOES, which is why people used to say incorrectly "when I switched to syn, I got leaks"

truth was, they already had swollen up seals from some of the detergents in dino......thn they used a clean synthetic and it was safer for the seals and caused no swelling.....so the syn just exploited leaks that were already there.

U should have no leaks on an '08

besides I ASSUME (maybe wrong) that newer dino oils may cause less swelling than they used to.

use syn, u will be fine..............Ive NEVER had an issue........I used it on a junkyard engine in my maxima and beat the snot outta it, breaking trans/motor mounts 3 times.............NEVER had an oil leak, and it was an 89, so odds are it was changed with dino before I got it.