Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Standalone or piggyback ecu

Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Standalone or piggyback ecu

Not really familiar with everything...gonna be turbo charging my 3rz on my 4x4 within the year, and before I purchase the kit I was looking around and ecu's to be able to properly tune with everything
What do some of you guys have/prefer ?
Only gonna run a max of 10psi till I rebuild the motor with stronger internals and all which probably won't be a while
Should I get a standalone ecu or just a piggy back for now??
The kit I will be buying is from LCE engineering if that helps any
Any comments and info is appreciated! Thanks guys
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Search URDUSA, probably the best upgrades for supercharging and some turbo upgrades Ecu related.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah I noticed they have alot for the v6...not so much the four bangers
Looked into supercharging but just not my cup of tea especially for all the money to be limited on power output
Not saying you can't make power with them but to me a turbo seems lore for me and efficient
Old 04-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed, turbo is the way to go on 4cyl. specially since there is engine compartment space to set up comfortably.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

Yeah I know they can be pretty pricy but I guess I can ask what's the most bang for the buck here? Do I spend the extra cash on something amazing or less on something that can get me by for a while with a mild setup
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #7

And if familiar with any what are some pros and cons of what you have
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
I know the perfect person that you need to talk to. Since youive in SA, and my contact is here in Houston, it will be quite easy to get the proper "best for your needs" solution. He loves working with Megasquirt, and has tuned tons of 2rz-3rz's. He is also a fabricator, and has built quite a few turbo kits. But he is basically a one man show, and not a shop. Makes him much easier to deal with.

PM me if you are interested in talking with him. Once you have info from him, you can post up your further plans.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
colby8100 is on a distinguished road
Name: Colby
colby8100's Tacoma Gallery
You could do a piggy back so you can still use obd2 and if its and electronic auto trans most stand alone systems you have to have a module to control the trans if it isnt manual. Using a piggy back you can just control fuel and ignition and most can control up to double the size injector and keep whole project sround 2000 $ most standalones cost around 800 where a piggy back is under 400. It also matters if you want to run e85 and your hp goal. I'm using a ms3 on mine but mines a 1.5jz vvti 1000cc injectors and pt7675bb cea. Mines also forged and billet everything race truck.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the type of piggy back or standalone, for cost.

URD's UCON is an inline EMS, and is about $1500. The piggy back Map-Ecu2 or 3 was about $600 (minus the plug n play adapter harness).

Megasquirt3, the version that has to be put together, is what about $400? Highly capable.

My standalone ProEFI Pro128 was $1800 and $750 for the plug n play adapter harness. However, with it, the way mine is setup, the OBDII still works just fine. They have the ability to map out the CAN system so that it reads as it should.

It all depends on the quality of the device that you want, the ability for it to tune with differing injectors, and the additional functions that one wants.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
My ms3 was 1500 because I had to have a 4bar map and harness and sensors. The aem fic is around 350
Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
I also used the ms3 because later on I might run 2fuel banks 2000cc per cylinder. And if he doesn't have vvti he could wire a ms2 in or he could use a ms2 as a piggy back.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
I'm runnin sard fuel rail n bosch 1000cc now 850 $ worth on 110 n when I convert to alcohol later on or just e85 run duel rails cause over 1000 are low impedance n you have to run a driver for them n 2000cc injectors would cost the same as another rail n 1000s
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
That actually makes me mad knowing they make 2000s high impedance now because when I orded mine they told me anything over 1000 was low impedance.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
For the OP, www.LCE performance.com

They have a lot of stuff that you can use.
Yessir I will look at all this stuff
I really appreciate all the info guys on helping me make this happen
It's gonna be awesome and I can't wait to start getting it all together
I'm learning and reading all these things I don't know much about
Old 06-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #20
SilverGhost is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverGhost is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverGhost is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverGhost is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverGhost is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverGhost is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverGhost is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverGhost is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverGhost is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverGhost is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverGhost is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 7th Esb 1st FSSG
Name: RayRay
SilverGhost's Tacoma Gallery
Sub