1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Improved MPG's, $15 part

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Joshman35, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Apr 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    Joshman35

Joshman35 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    White Mountains, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Custom
    Too many to list
    Improved my MGP's by over 2 mpg. I have a 2009 4.0L double cab, desert bumper, 3" lift, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's on 33x12.5x17's, Dual Flowmaster catbacks, KnN CAI. I recently purchased a prefilter for the KnN filter and my mileage went fron 15.5-16.5 to consistently over 18.5 mpg. Its about a $15 part on Amazon, well worth the price. Driving style hasn't changed, just the prefilter.

2. Apr 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    Rackster

Rackster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    Don't forget the weather is warming up so MPGs will start to improve with it even with the same driving style.

3. Apr 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
  4. Apr 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ West Valley
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Taco
    OME Lift, Stubbs Sliders, Truxedo cover, Pioneer Avic deck, speakers/amp etc., Black badges.
    I assure you it hasn't warmed up in the White Mountains where OP lives. Geography, it's important.

5. Apr 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    interesting...........my URD HATES hydrophobic socks and runs like a slug with 1 on....never noticed a MPG change, but thats simply because I dont care/want to know.

6. Apr 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I have been running one with my Volant CAI with the oiled Volant filter.

I guess after seeing the air filter test done by the guy with the Miata, I have certain doubts about all air filters.

Never checked it without the sock.

I do need to get off my but and install the MAF Blackbox, just waiting on pins for the connectors.

PK

7. Apr 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Snowed on my White Mt. in my back yard too today The weather warmed up above freezing during the day gained about a mile and a half per gallon took the snow tires off midweek my mileage went up about 1 MPG I'm back up to 20 with every thing else bone stock.

8. Apr 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I watched that too and my thought was the last test they did have air blowing right into the filter and my bet would be that gave them the slight gain. When the Brits do the annual M.O.T inspection the dyno (rolling road) is part of the emission test so they have a lot of experience in running dyno’s.

9. Apr 12, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    kootch

kootch Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JC
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Westin Bull Bar, window vents, Warn off road lamps
    Send us a link. Do they have one for a 2013 trd?

10. Apr 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    No, not that video.

There is a topic on Bob is the oil guy, where a private individual did a real world air filter test. The dry cotton style did not do very well. Oiled cotton was better. Each filter was run for 500 miles. They used a white second filter behind the primary filter. The second filter displayed dirt that passed through.

PK

11. Apr 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    steezinstangl

steezinstangl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser
    could it be that the pre filter is making the air through the intake a little bit warmer? like how cold air is denser thus using more fuel? so this makes it warmer which less dense air using less fuel?

12. Apr 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Ugh these thread make me giggle.

Products Discussed in

To Top