Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Improved MPG's, $15 part

Old 04-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Joshman35 will become famous soon enough
Name: Josh
Joshman35's Tacoma Gallery
Improved MPG's, $15 part

Improved my MGP's by over 2 mpg. I have a 2009 4.0L double cab, desert bumper, 3" lift, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's on 33x12.5x17's, Dual Flowmaster catbacks, KnN CAI. I recently purchased a prefilter for the KnN filter and my mileage went fron 15.5-16.5 to consistently over 18.5 mpg. Its about a $15 part on amazon, well worth the price. Driving style hasn't changed, just the prefilter.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget the weather is warming up so MPGs will start to improve with it even with the same driving style.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
I assure you it hasn't warmed up in the White Mountains where OP lives. Geography, it's important.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
interesting...........my URD HATES hydrophobic socks and runs like a slug with 1 on....never noticed a MPG change, but thats simply because I dont care/want to know.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Snowed on my White Mt. in my back yard too today The weather warmed up above freezing during the day gained about a mile and a half per gallon took the snow tires off midweek my mileage went up about 1 MPG I'm back up to 20 with every thing else bone stock.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
I have been running one with my Volant CAI with the oiled Volant filter.

I guess after seeing the air filter test done by the guy with the Miata, I have certain doubts about all air filters.

Never checked it without the sock.

I do need to get off my but and install the MAF Blackbox, just waiting on pins for the connectors.

PK
I watched that too and my thought was the last test they did have air blowing right into the filter and my bet would be that gave them the slight gain. When the Brits do the annual M.O.T inspection the dyno (rolling road) is part of the emission test so they have a lot of experience in running dyno’s.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
kootch is on a distinguished road

Name: JC
kootch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshman35 View Post
Improved my MGP's by over 2 mpg. I have a 2009 4.0L double cab, desert bumper, 3" lift, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's on 33x12.5x17's, Dual Flowmaster catbacks, KnN CAI. I recently purchased a prefilter for the KnN filter and my mileage went fron 15.5-16.5 to consistently over 18.5 mpg. Its about a $15 part on amazon, well worth the price. Driving style hasn't changed, just the prefilter.
Send us a link. Do they have one for a 2013 trd?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
I watched that too and my thought was the last test they did have air blowing right into the filter and my bet would be that gave them the slight gain. When the Brits do the annual M.O.T inspection the dyno (rolling road) is part of the emission test so they have a lot of experience in running dyno’s.
No, not that video.

There is a topic on Bob is the oil guy, where a private individual did a real world air filter test. The dry cotton style did not do very well. Oiled cotton was better. Each filter was run for 500 miles. They used a white second filter behind the primary filter. The second filter displayed dirt that passed through.

PK
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
steezinstangl's Tacoma Gallery
could it be that the pre filter is making the air through the intake a little bit warmer? like how cold air is denser thus using more fuel? so this makes it warmer which less dense air using less fuel?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Ugh these thread make me giggle.

Products Discussed in this Thread