Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Options on more power for Towing?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
K Dog is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
K Dog's Tacoma Gallery
Options on more power for Towing?

Well since im starting to tow my boat (21ft cc Wellcraft) more often, im starting to notice that im in a need for alittle bit more power.

Im in the works right now to get some trailer brakes for it so itll help me with the stopping. This summer im going to be driving the boat every other weekend about 40 miles one way to the boat dock (i like the fishing better there).

Getting up to speed onto the highway and driving on the highway is on the slow side. I know everyone is gonna say buy a diesel or get a supercharger. IM trying to stay away from that because the truck can do it, and im a college student and im not made of money (for now at least )

Btw my price range is 1000-1500, and i want to be efficient with the spending too, "best bang for the buck" of course. My engine is stock and i have 265/75/16s

Im thinking
1. JBA longtube headers
2.URD upgrade fuel pump kit
3.Urd TCAI
4.MAF sensor calibrator

3 and 4 im unsure about, it seems like they would only be beneficial at WOT.

I wish the APR X1 was still for available,

Before i forget I DONT WANNA SELL THE TACOMA OR SUPERCHARGE IT
Old 04-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
regear 4/30 or 4/56 will be a big improvement.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #3

K Dog's Tacoma Gallery
Hummmmmmmmmm............................

What would you estimate the RPM be at around 65-70ish

and what kind of difference would there be for normal daily driving
Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Dog View Post
Hummmmmmmmmm............................

What would you estimate the RPM be at around 65-70ish

and what kind of difference would there be for normal daily driving
Your gas mileage will suffer, probably relatively significantly.

What's your boat weigh? 3500, 4000 lbs with trailer? I'd imagine it's well within your truck's capability. I just towed about 3700 lbs 500 miles, and while you could tell it was back there, the truck got up to speed just fine. You might have to use a few more RPM to get it going, but once you're up to speed it should be OK. Towing is not about being fast, it's about being safe. I honestly doubt you'd see much benefit from doing any of what you listed. You'd probably be better served putting that money to use somewhere else.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #5

K Dog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
Your gas mileage will suffer, probably relatively significantly.

What's your boat weigh? 3500, 4000 lbs with trailer? I'd imagine it's well within your truck's capability. I just towed about 3700 lbs 500 miles, and while you could tell it was back there, the truck got up to speed just fine. You might have to use a few more RPM to get it going, but once you're up to speed it should be OK. Towing is not about being fast, it's about being safe. I honestly doubt you'd see much benefit from doing any of what you listed. You'd probably be better served putting that money to use somewhere else.
That boat should be around 3500-3600lb

The MPG while normal driving and not noticing a difference after spending that much money is what i was worried about.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
No cheap way to get more power ... $5K+ for a S/Charger or lower gears ... but with lower gears ... you pay for more gas even when not towing ...

The other items you mentioned will do very little. ...

Old 04-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #7

K Dog's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I figured,

I guess I'm just in Denial,

I'm wanting one of those special combos that is cheap and make the power that's worth wild.

We all know that it doesn't exist but hey it was worth a shot right ?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea I figured,

I guess I'm just in Denial,

I'm wanting one of those special combos that is cheap and make the power that's worth wild.

We all know that it doesn't exist but hey it was worth a shot right ?
... ^^^ ... I put TRD dual exhausts on my 2007 5.7L Tundra. My excuse (to myself) was to increase H/P and make it breathe easier.

It sounded good, but the TRD duals actually made it slower (off the line) due to exhaust back pressure that the 5.7 supposedly needed.

But .. it sounded like a 1960's muscle car ... ... and that is all that counted in the end ...
Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Haha, if you find that combo, please let us know! Just keep it under 70 and I think you'll be fine. Enjoy the boat!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Actually for 1000-1500 budget, just save your money, nothing in that price range will make a big enough improvement to warrant that money, and as a student I'd being banking any and everything I could.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
There are a lot of little things you can do to help with power but you have to make sure you're making the power in a low enough RPM range to be useful when towing. Talk to someone like Torspd or Gadget on how to set up a truck for low end power. Lighter pulleys, short tube headers, cross over pipe and exhaust can free up some low end power. There is also an intake spacer (not a throttle body spacer, those are junk) that has claims of freeing up some low end power.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well since im starting to tow my boat (21ft cc Wellcraft) more often, im starting to notice that im in a need for alittle bit more power.

Im in the works right now to get some trailer brakes for it so itll help me with the stopping. This summer im going to be driving the boat every other weekend about 40 miles one way to the boat dock (i like the fishing better there).

Getting up to speed onto the highway and driving on the highway is on the slow side. I know everyone is gonna say buy a diesel or get a supercharger. IM trying to stay away from that because the truck can do it, and im a college student and im not made of money (for now at least )

Btw my price range is 1000-1500, and i want to be efficient with the spending too, "best bang for the buck" of course. My engine is stock and i have 265/75/16s

Im thinking
1. JBA longtube headers
2.URD upgrade fuel pump kit
3.Urd TCAI
4.MAF sensor calibrator

3 and 4 im unsure about, it seems like they would only be beneficial at WOT.

I wish the APR X1 was still for available,

Before i forget I DONT WANNA SELL THE TACOMA OR SUPERCHARGE IT
As for #2, that's backwards I think......we already have a rich system.

That's pretty much proven by the existance of #4 and how it alone was shown to pull 15whp out of a stock tacoma, by leaning the mixture.

#4 is also supposed to offer some closed loop benefits.

If u get #3, u rlly will want #4 to rlly optimize the benefit

I can't comment on #1
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That boat should be around 3500-3600lb

The MPG while normal driving and not noticing a difference after spending that much money is what i was worried about.
I pull close to 3500# it does ok except in the mountains for all the money your talking you'll never notice the difference.