1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD CAI throwing codes, P0101, P0172, P0175

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Lurkin, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Apr 15, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Since I could not find any good threads on TW for the problem that I was having, found one good one on XRU though, I thought I would post one here.

Note that I have fixed the problem, but wanted to provide some detail in case someone else ran into it.

About 6 weeks ago, my truck threw a MIL (09 4.0 DCSB), code P0101 -
    Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem. I have a URD CAI and a MAF Cali that I added last Sept and Jan respectively, so I figured it had something to do with those, but wasn't entirely sure if, much less which on. I reset the codes, and drove for about a week or 2. MIL came back with the 101, plus P0172 and P0175 - System too rich (bank 1 and bank 2).

I reset those codes, then added Xgauges to my Scangauge to readout the fuel trims, long and short, the MAF sensor, and A/F ratio. The LTFT was running about -10-15, with the STFT running about the same. these are high, but not code setting high. AFR looked normal, and the MAF reading, from what I could research, looked within range.

Drove it with these monitors for another couple of weeks, with the settings in the ranges above, then one day the LT and ST fuel trims went to -25-40, and the AFR was running 16-17. MIL didn't set, but a pending 101, 172 and 175 were set. After turning off and back on, all readings returned to the "normal" above.

I did some searching on the codes + Tacoma + URD CAI and found a thread on XRU talking about this same set of symptoms, but the occurances were more often. Solution suggested there was a bad URD CAI MAF extension problem (bad connection). Wiggling wires on the XRU problem seemed to change the trims and MAF reading. Wiggling the MAF connections on mine didn't seem to affect the readings at all, but they had returned to "normal".

Reset the codes again and drove for a couple of weeks. One day the readings went wild again and I was able to pull over and wiggle the MAF extension, this time a wiggle at the engine-side extension caused the idle to burble a bit and readings returned to "normal". Aha, found you...

Up until then I wasn't sure if it was the MAF extension or the MAF Cali that had a bad connection. Was hoping for the CAI since that was easier to redo.

I pulled the connections on the MAF extension, engine-side, and resoldered and shrink tubed. After driving for a couple of miles, the fuel trims returned to small single digits, +/-3-4, and have stayed there since. Pretty sure I have it, but it hasn't been a couple of weeks yet.

When I was re-doing the connections, all the soldered connections looked good and passed the pull-apart test, so not at all sure which one, or more, was bad.

So, those with the URD CAI, it is possible to think all connections are good, when there may be a questionable connection there. Only looking at the fuel trims was I able to find some anomolies. AFR was helpful, but by itself, not so good, and the MAF reading also was helpful, but by itself hard to diagnose.

2. Apr 15, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    DanglingFury

DanglingFury Creeper

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Bowling Green, KY/Lake Cumberland, KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 4Runner 4x4
    Daystar 2.5"/1" lift-level BFGoodrich KO2's
    It sounds like your MAF is picking up on the extra airflow coming in due to the CAI and that the MAF calibrator isn't completely doing it's job. It's giving an inaccurate signal to your ECM and telling it that the engine is getting more air than it actually is, causing your ECM to feed more fuel through the injectors. Thus, your O2 sensors see that your engine is running rich.

I would recommend you call URD and tell them about it. Best case scenario they send you a new MAF Calibrator and that takes care of the problem.

3. Apr 15, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    Lurkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Read closer, re-doing the MAF extension has put all readings back to normal.

4. Apr 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    DanglingFury

DanglingFury Creeper

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Bowling Green, KY/Lake Cumberland, KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 4Runner 4x4
    Daystar 2.5"/1" lift-level BFGoodrich KO2's
    Is the MAF or those 4.0s digital or analog?

5. Sep 28, 2015 at 4:07 PM
    maverick363

maverick363 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4
    Cold air intake, custom exhaust.
    I've got the same set up URD TCAI and MAF calibrator. I'm getting the same codes thrown at me! In total I have 16 codes. P0300,P0101,P0102,P0103 etc...
    I'm starting to wonder if my calibrator just gave up and died or what.

6. Sep 30, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Try removing the Maf Cal first. See if the codes go away.

How long did you have the Maf Cal installed, prior to this issue?

7. Oct 1, 2015 at 10:13 AM
    maverick363

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4
    I've had it installed for a few months now. I had the K&N CAI on but then switched to the URD TCAI and have nothing but problems since! I've done everything except pull the actual calibrator. New O2 sensors, new plugs, putting in a new MAF today. Oh plus the map gadget sent me was for a boosted engine, I have stock internals. I'm starting to get a little annoyed here

8. Oct 1, 2015 at 10:38 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    So it worked fine prior to the URD intake.

Did you solder in the maf extension or get the plug n play extension?

Do you have the aluminum shield?

9. Oct 1, 2015 at 12:58 PM
    maverick363

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4
    Yup once I put the URD intake on and installed the TCAI map to the calibrator it's ran horrible ever since.
    I got the plug and play extension.
    What's the aluminum shield?

10. Oct 1, 2015 at 1:19 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
  11. Oct 1, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    maverick363

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4
    Ya I called this morning. Now I'm getting codes saying the internal timing is off and the ECU is malfunctioning. I don't get it.

12. Oct 1, 2015 at 3:47 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Take off the maf cal and see how it runs.

13. Oct 1, 2015 at 10:40 PM
    maverick363

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4
    im taking it to a guy with a diagnostics machine tomorrow so we'll see what it has to say.

14. Oct 2, 2015 at 6:19 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Can you not just revert to the previous file on the Maf Cal?

15. Oct 2, 2015 at 6:22 AM
    Lurkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I wouls also suggest you do a visual check of all the connections, take a look, wiggle some around.

Sounds more like a bad, or a few bad, solders. That many codes makes me think that it might even be a questionable power connection.

16. Oct 2, 2015 at 10:36 AM
    maverick363

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4
    Trust me I've checked every line, hose, fitting I could find. I've been wondering about the power thing myself considering my plugs were toast after 10k miles. I do know it misfiring and that would obviously mean the timing is off. Idk I'm taking it over to get checked out so I'll give an update when I'm done, thanks guys.

17. Oct 4, 2015 at 12:29 PM
    maverick363

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4
    Ok so I put new O2 sensors on (upstream&downstream) cleaned the MAF sensor. Cleaned the throttle body. Checked all my vacuum lines (no cracks or splits). Did the diagnostics on it and found that my TPS is not reading properly for some reason. Side note; my cruise control stopped working a few days ago. I'm not sure if that has to do with the TPS or not?
    So the diagnostic said that the TPS was acting funny and the MAF was reading high voltage which makes me think the MAF is bad. Could the oil from the K&N have fried my MAF? I never cleaned it or added oil to it btw. And suggestions would be helpful...

18. Oct 4, 2015 at 2:13 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Oiled filters will screw with MAF sensors. Yes.

Oiled filters create no problems on MAP sensor vehicles.

19. Oct 4, 2015 at 4:14 PM
    Lurkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Tps sensor will cause cruise failures.

20. Oct 4, 2015 at 10:29 PM
    maverick363

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4
    My cruise hasn't been working all week and then today it worked??. I dont get it. The Toyota dealership said that since the TPS is on the throttle body that i would have to replace the entire TB for $1,000 bucks!!
    So the latest thing i've tried is replacing relay's and fuses, i haven't driven it yet since putting new fuses in for all the main engine stuff and i was only able to put a new EFI relay in but i'm getting 2 more relays tomorrow.
    And theres a relay in the fuse box under the hood that is white and has "ST" on it? does anyone know what that one is for?? i'm pretty sure it's burnt out cause the prongs were discolored brown and black but i have no way to test it.

So do i go ahead and replace the TPS and MAF while im at it???????????

Products Discussed in

To Top