Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Port and polish intake manifold, throttle body.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
lmur is on a distinguished road
lmur's Tacoma Gallery
Port and polish intake manifold, throttle body.

I pulled off my stock lower intake manifold last week and gave it a look over to see if a port and polish job would be something worth while. There were definitely some imperfections in the lower manifold as well as upper manifold and throttle body. I decided to do a slight port and polish job on all three. There is definitely a difference in throttle response, and acceleration. I swear it sounds different too. I attached some before and after pics. How many of you have done this??
Attached Thumbnails
Port and polish intake manifold, throttle body.-american-fork-pleasant-grove-20130404-00079.jpg   Port and polish intake manifold, throttle body.-american-fork-pleasant-grove-20130404-00080-1-.jpg   Port and polish intake manifold, throttle body.-provo-orem-20130403-00068.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
I have done this as well. You did a very good job BTW.

On the '09+ the lower plenum comes from the factory with the casting imperfections smoothed out. Just not on the prior models. :/

The throttle body.....I have not messed with.

There was a guy who was building his 1GR for some form of off road racing, and he did flow bench tests of before and after a porting as well as welding the two halves together in the runners. Picked up quite a good deal of flow.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
lmur's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I have done this as well. You did a very good job BTW.

On the '09+ the lower plenum comes from the factory with the casting imperfections smoothed out. Just not on the prior models. :/

The throttle body.....I have not messed with.

There was a guy who was building his 1GR for some form of off road racing, and he did flow bench tests of before and after a porting as well as welding the two halves together in the runners. Picked up quite a good deal of flow.
Thank you! Looks like you have an incredible amount of work done to your truck. Very impressive.

I was curious about welding that gap in where the manifold comes together, but I figured on a N/A motor it probably wasn't all that necessary?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
lmur's Tacoma Gallery
P.S.

If anyone is interested in having this done, I am a machinist and would love to tackle the job for you. PM me for info. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmur View Post
I pulled off my stock lower intake manifold last week and gave it a look over to see if a port and polish job would be something worth while. There were definitely some imperfections in the lower manifold as well as upper manifold and throttle body. I decided to do a slight port and polish job on all three. There is definitely a difference in throttle response, and acceleration. I swear it sounds different too. I attached some before and after pics. How many of you have done this??
Any photos of the throttle body?

I worked mine a few years ago.

Did you pull the throttle plate and shaft or work around it?

Torspeed, by your comments, are you saying the newer trucks don't really need blending like the op did. I have not done mine yet, 2010, is it worth the effort?

PK
Old 04-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
lmur's Tacoma Gallery
I can post some photos of the throttle body. The only thing I did was blend in the little ridge before the throttle plate and polish it very smooth. If you open up the diameter near the throttle plate too much, this will negatively effect idle and RPMs, causing weird shifts if automatic, unless you put in a larger throttle plate.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Just cleaning out all of the carbon build up and oil/dirt residue makes it flow better! Port/polish adds some extra
Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
Any photos of the throttle body?

I worked mine a few years ago.

Did you pull the throttle plate and shaft or work around it?

Torspeed, by your comments, are you saying the newer trucks don't really need blending like the op did. I have not done mine yet, 2010, is it worth the effort?

PK
You can pull off the upper plenum and take a look at the runners in the lower plenum. It should be smoothed out by the factory.

As for the TB.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...969#post909969

Old 04-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmur View Post
I can post some photos of the throttle body. The only thing I did was blend in the little ridge before the throttle plate and polish it very smooth. If you open up the diameter near the throttle plate too much, this will negatively effect idle and RPMs, causing weird shifts if automatic, unless you put in a larger throttle plate.

Sounds pretty much like how I did mine a while back. Yes I should clean the manifold and TB, then install a catch can.

PK
Old 04-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
I just did this but used Extrude hone with the whole intake track, the plastic upper was a pain but worked, does make a difference.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #13
lmur's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds pretty much like how I did mine a while back. Yes I should clean the manifold and TB, then install a catch can.

PK
Yes, if your going to perform a port polish job or even just clean it all out I would definitely recommend an oil catch can, its a very easy thing to install and will make it so you have to clean the intake system much less often, if ever. When you see how filthy it is when you take everything off, you wont want to have to clean it again

Thanks everyone for the input, glad to be able to discuss with some cool people. My other car is an IS300 and the Lexus forum I am on carries a different attitude towards new people.

Again, if any one wants this done that does not have the tools, experience, or time to mess with something like this, feel free to PM me for info. Performing this for a couple people right now locally and they will be posting reviews soon hopefully.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #14
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
lmur's Tacoma Gallery
One of the local guys I am performing the lower, upper, and throttle body job for has agreed to do some before and after dynos the weekend of the 17th in May. Excited to see some data. Stay tuned
Old 04-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Extrude hone, a company I have not heard about in a long time.

They always stated it was best to accomplish major blending by hand, then Extrude Hone after that.

Is this how you did yours?

PK

whos they?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #18

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
whos they?
Magazine tests with engine builders. Before, after extrude hone, ported, then extrude hone over porting.

Extrude Hone would blend and smooth but not change profiles or blend large defects.

The port grinder would blend and work for better flow by removing problem areas, then Extrude Hone would provide a more optimum finish and smoothing.

Both have their place, but combined always seemed best, but more work.

PK
Old 06-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #19
pavemobile will become famous soon enoughpavemobile will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 20th SOS Helicopter Mech - Retired
pavemobile's Tacoma Gallery
I have a lower being worked on now and I am sending a spare upper plenum for my V-6. Once done I am sending the lower out to Swaintech to have it coated with a thermal barrier coating. Should be a nice change.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
Where you at in North Texas? Keep us updated with pics I might want this done as well. The thermal coating would be different on the plastic intake but a great idea!