Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

K&n Oil Filter

Old 08-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Banned
tacomaclay is on a distinguished road
tacomaclay's Tacoma Gallery
K&n Oil Filter

Are K&N oil filters worth the extra dough?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
yes
but you should switch to synthetic too.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
Banned
tacomaclay is on a distinguished road
tacomaclay's Tacoma Gallery
Why Do You Say That?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Synthetics generally have better flow properties than conventional, but this doesn't do much good if your oil filter restricts the flow rate. K&N filters have a much higher flow rate, and filter to smaller micron measurement than most filters. Also, they have an anti drain back valve that keeps oil in the filter so when you start your truck it will lubricate and circulate oil faster.
All of that = good
Old 08-31-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
kngharley is on a distinguished road

kngharley's Tacoma Gallery
I have a K&N on my 07 4.0. I also switched to Mobile 1. The filter is a little pricey as is the oil. But as the old saying goes "You get what you pay for". If you plan on keeping the truck I recommend the combo but if you lease or trade in quickly then I think it's a waste of your money.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
Ultimate Member

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngharley View Post
I have a K&N on my 07 4.0. I also switched to Mobile 1. The filter is a little pricey as is the oil. But as the old saying goes "You get what you pay for". If you plan on keeping the truck I recommend the combo but if you lease or trade in quickly then I think it's a waste of your money.
Well said, the trucks will last a long time anyway, so if you don't keep it forever then synthetic and k&n are a waste, but if you want it to last you a couple decades then the switch is a good idea.