Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

tooter's first taco mod...

Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Smile tooter's first taco mod...

I've been running a LCEngineering exhaust header on my 1996 2.4 Tacoma for more than a decade, so I thought I'd buy another one from them to fit the 2012 2.7 since it has been working so well on my 1st gen.

While both manifolds were together, I took some informal measurements to better define the design differences between the stock header and the LCE.

The stock runner diameters are 34.5mm which is smaller than the exhaust ports on the head. While the LCE runner diameter is 10% larger at 38mm, a smooth match for the head.

The stock runner lengths as measured from flange to collector are 17 inches long, while the LCE runners are about 30% longer at 22 inches. This is a considerable difference.

The stock exhaust port is 56mm and the LCE is just slightly larger at 57mm.

The stock header weighs 11 lbs, while the LCE weighs 15 3/4lbs due to the longer runners and way thicker flange that contains the emissions air injection ports.

How does the header fit?

Like a gluuve...

It is perfectly aligned and clears everything perfectly.

Took it for a test ride while the ECU learns the new operating parameters. At the top end the engine feels about the same, however, the engine definitely has more pull from 1,500 to 3,000rpm. The truck is a whole lot less sluggish than it used to be. For reference, I'm running a completely stock exhaust with the header. And while the exhaust is really quiet, the header did give it a noticeably deeper note.

All in all, I'm totally pleased as the header as it has markedly increased the little truck's driveability.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Name: Eric
ToyotaTacoma4Ever's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Glad your enjoying the headers!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Idk who this guy is but I like him already..
Old 04-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the kind words...
I'm new here but fairly well known among the Toyota Yaris folk. It's fun to do small projects and share the information. I've been helped countless times by others sharing their how-to experiences.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Those are some of the sexiest curves I've ever seen on a header.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
Those are some of the sexiest curves I've ever seen on a header.
LCE really did it right.
Part of why I got it was the beauty of the design. Their header is a match of form and function and bears a remarkable resemblance to the intake manifold on my car...

It's an an old junkyard 1998 Corolla 1.8 aluminum intake manifold that I adapted it to fit my 2012 Yaris to replace the plastic manifold. Presently, it's the only Yaris in the US running this manifold. There are a few in Puerto Rico, where the idea originated, and a two running in Japan that I sold on ebay.