Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

freeing up power on a 2.7...

Old 04-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
freeing up power on a 2.7...

I had no choice but to take the unwanted added options when I got my 2012, and so I set to work on removing them today.

With the power steering and the AC removed, a smaller simpler non serpentine belt now only drives the alternator and water pump freeing up more power to move the truck.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
AC doesn't pull any power unless you use it.

Power steering draw is minimal.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
sch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant future

sch0enne's Tacoma Gallery
wut
Old 04-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
You don't want AC or PS ?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
It's just a personal preference. AC is only dead weight as I neither need it or use it, and I've never liked squishy power steering because you can't feel road resistance in curves. It's just a small light vehicle and doesn't really need power steering anyways. From what I've read on racing forums, the consensus is power steering losses run from 5-7 whp on a dyno.

I like to have a simple uncluttered engine compartment.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty crazy . I could never drive in smog-a in the summer with no AC .

Maybe also take out the spare tire /jack. Bed rails,tailgate and tie downs too .
Old 04-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Pretty crazy . I could never drive in smog-a in the summer with no AC .
Humans have an innate ability to adapt to a wide range of conditions. The more compensations are depended on, the more that ability to adapt is lost until the comfort range becomes so delicate and narrow that the slightest deviation causes discomfort.

Quote:
Maybe also take out the spare tire /jack. Bed rails,tailgate and tie downs too .
None of those are located in the engine compartment.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I further refined the idea with a slightly longer belt to go around the belt tensioning idler which eliminated another idler pulley.

So instead of the engine crankshaft working to turn 4 pulleys and 3 idlers, now it only turns 2 pulleys and 1 idler.

The belt is 6 groove instead of 7 because they don't make a 7 groove that small. It doesn't need to be 7 because it's driving so few accessories.

It took a little trial and error to find the right belt. The one that's just the right length to put the tensioner idler square in the middle of it's travel is a Gates:

K060458

or

6PK1165