Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Stock pullys vs after market

Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
JOE619 is on a distinguished road
Name: broseph aka JOE
JOE619's Tacoma Gallery
Stock pullys vs after market

I was thinking about doing minor up grade on My truck I have a 4.0 2006 TRD off road and was thinking of replaceing the pulleys to some after market ones. Would I get any preformance gains ? I'm not supercharging it
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
JOE619's Tacoma Gallery
Ok thanks I wa s just wondering I just wanted tocknow because I wanted to try and pully a little more poneys with out brakeing the bank
Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Slow connection here at friends shop.......

Does unorthodox racing have pullies for us?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
JOE619's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I honestly don't know if they do or not. Years ago was the last time that I looked because NST was making them. I will check.

EDIT*** They do not.
Because when people SC there tacoma the change the pullys some times for preformance. Ane I just though if you changed them you would get some type of gains ill call a dyno shop tomorrow and ind out and ill up date the info I have
Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
JOE619's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Changing the S/C pulley will net you gains. Changing to lighter accessory pulleys will net you gains.

You said in your first post that you weren't going to supercharge it though. Which are you after?
No I'm not its to expinsive I was just looking for a different way to increases preformance
Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE619 View Post
No I'm not its to expinsive I was just looking for a different way to increases preformance
Headers, maf calibrator?

Trd stickers are worth 5hp each also
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
Atleast it wasn't Green!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SGT, Cannon Crew Member, A Btry 1-148th FA
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think the lighter pulleys net you many ponies, but throttle response goes up a lot. I've been wanting to do them.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I've been after light weight pulleys for a while too, but NST has been out of stock each time I check. It sucks balls.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They pretty much pulled out of the Tacoma market. Lots of talk of wants from people, but never enough purchases.

They were also a vendor on a tiny forum, and not this one. Which would play a part in the lack of awareness of their products.
If you can't market a product to one of the largest aftermarket/truck demographics in the world and make a profit then the problem isn't the buyers. You know how many Tacomas are on the road and how many of them are modified? It's an aftermarket product company's wet dream if you have a good product at a good price.

The ONLY pulley I would change for performance gains is my supercharger pulley. The rest isn't worth the headache/price/effort and I've tried this first hand on numerous vehicles over the years.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #14
thairannosaurus has a spectacular aura aboutthairannosaurus has a spectacular aura aboutthairannosaurus has a spectacular aura about
Army: Signal LT, 228 CSH (USAR)
Name: Anthony
thairannosaurus's Tacoma Gallery
are you guys sure? i just bought a lightweight pulley from NST about... 3 or 4 months ago? unless they decided to pull them recently. as for gains, you wont be smoking cobras anytime soon but my butt dyno "feels" like it gets going faster than before; however much water that statement holds for you.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #15
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
If you can't market a product to one of the largest aftermarket/truck demographics in the world and make a profit then the problem isn't the buyers. You know how many Tacomas are on the road and how many of them are modified? It's an aftermarket product company's wet dream if you have a good product at a good price.

The ONLY pulley I would change for performance gains is my supercharger pulley. The rest isn't worth the headache/price/effort and I've tried this first hand on numerous vehicles over the years.
This is true. Not sure why they never started an account here. As this is the largest forum. An overlooked resource.

The pulleys have been dyno'd. There are gains had. Not as much as say headers, but there. Also a noticed shorter time to redline. On the manual trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thairannosaurus View Post
are you guys sure? i just bought a lightweight pulley from NST about... 3 or 4 months ago? unless they decided to pull them recently. as for gains, you wont be smoking cobras anytime soon but my butt dyno "feels" like it gets going faster than before; however much water that statement holds for you.
NST had a final sale around that time. To move inventory.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #17
JOE619's Tacoma Gallery
Can you use the URD pulleys ?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
Atleast it wasn't Green!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SGT, Cannon Crew Member, A Btry 1-148th FA
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE619 View Post
Can you use the URD pulleys ?
URD only makes pulleys for the TRD S/C not the crank, water pump, and alt on our motors.