1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock pullys vs after market

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by JOE619, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Apr 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    JOE619

JOE619 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    broseph aka JOE
    San Diego !
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD off road
    Bilstien 5100 front and rear, TRD intake, Yokohama A /T tires
    I was thinking about doing minor up grade on My truck I have a 4.0 2006 TRD off road and was thinking of replaceing the pulleys to some after market ones. Would I get any preformance gains ? I'm not supercharging it

2. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Not sure of any company besides www.nonstoptuning.com that makes light weight pulleys.

That is if they still carry them for the Toyota.

3. Apr 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    JOE619

Member:
    First Name:
    broseph aka JOE
    San Diego !
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD off road
    Ok thanks I wa s just wondering I just wanted tocknow because I wanted to try and pully a little more poneys with out brakeing the bank

4. Apr 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Slow connection here at friends shop.......

Does unorthodox racing have pullies for us?

5. Apr 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I honestly don't know if they do or not. Years ago was the last time that I looked because NST was making them. I will check.

EDIT*** They do not.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  6. Apr 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    JOE619

Member:
    First Name:
    broseph aka JOE
    San Diego !
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD off road
    Because when people SC there tacoma the change the pullys some times for preformance. Ane I just though if you changed them you would get some type of gains ill call a dyno shop tomorrow and ind out and ill up date the info I have

7. Apr 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Changing the S/C pulley will net you gains. Changing to lighter accessory pulleys will net you gains.

You said in your first post that you weren't going to supercharge it though. Which are you after?

8. Apr 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    JOE619

Member:
    First Name:
    broseph aka JOE
    San Diego !
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD off road
    No I'm not its to expinsive I was just looking for a different way to increases preformance

9. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Headers, maf calibrator?

Trd stickers are worth 5hp each also :D

10. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't think the lighter pulleys net you many ponies, but throttle response goes up a lot. I've been wanting to do them.

11. Apr 24, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I've been after light weight pulleys for a while too, but NST has been out of stock each time I check. It sucks balls.

12. Apr 24, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    They pretty much pulled out of the Tacoma market. Lots of talk of wants from people, but never enough purchases.

They were also a vendor on a tiny forum, and not this one. Which would play a part in the lack of awareness of their products.

13. Apr 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    If you can't market a product to one of the largest aftermarket/truck demographics in the world and make a profit then the problem isn't the buyers. You know how many Tacomas are on the road and how many of them are modified? It's an aftermarket product company's wet dream if you have a good product at a good price.

The ONLY pulley I would change for performance gains is my supercharger pulley. The rest isn't worth the headache/price/effort and I've tried this first hand on numerous vehicles over the years.

14. Apr 24, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    thairannosaurus

thairannosaurus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Pro
    AC drain mod, interior lights, tonneau cover, avid light bar, N2 remote start, power tailgate lock
    are you guys sure? i just bought a lightweight pulley from NST about... 3 or 4 months ago? unless they decided to pull them recently. as for gains, you wont be smoking cobras anytime soon but my butt dyno "feels" like it gets going faster than before; however much water that statement holds for you.

15. Apr 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    This is true. Not sure why they never started an account here. As this is the largest forum. An overlooked resource.

The pulleys have been dyno'd. There are gains had. Not as much as say headers, but there. Also a noticed shorter time to redline. On the manual trans.

NST had a final sale around that time. To move inventory.

16. Apr 24, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Fack. Anyone else making pulleys for our trucks?

17. Apr 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    JOE619

Member:
    First Name:
    broseph aka JOE
    San Diego !
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD off road
    Can you use the URD pulleys ?

18. Apr 24, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    URD only makes pulleys for the TRD S/C not the crank, water pump, and alt on our motors.

19. Feb 12, 2015 at 1:30 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    No body makes lightweight pulleys any more. A machinist can, but unless something has changed, the only vendor that did, does not.

20. Feb 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I have one used crank pulley left. If anyone wants to buy it?

Products Discussed in

To Top