Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Need Help With Turbo!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Cahasty is on a distinguished road
Cahasty's Tacoma Gallery
Need Help With Turbo!

Hello, i'm brand new to the forums so here i go. I have been wanting to upgrade the power of my 01 Tacoma 3.4L V6. I started with Wheels/Tires and then bought a flow master muffler. Now i actually have two questions for this one, i want to purchase a turbo and new headers. But I'm not a gear-head like most. I don't know what to look for turbo wise. If anyone could help me find one that wont drain my wallet, but also be dependable, it would be greatly appreciated!! Also, should i do the headers first or the turbo??? Thanks Ahead of time
-Chase
Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahasty View Post
Hello, i'm brand new to the forums so here i go. I have been wanting to upgrade the power of my 01 Tacoma 3.4L V6. I started with Wheels/Tires and then bought a flow master muffler. Now i actually have two questions for this one, i want to purchase a turbo and new headers. But I'm not a gear-head like most. I don't know what to look for turbo wise. If anyone could help me find one that wont drain my wallet, but also be dependable, it would be greatly appreciated!! Also, should i do the headers first or the turbo??? Thanks Ahead of time
-Chase
when you get a turbo the best bet is to buy a kit and the headers for a turbo application are different than for stock so if you buy a turbo you will need to get the headers for the turbo
Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
also a turbo is gonna put added stress on the engine. the bottom end of the engine will wear quicker especially the bearings because of the added pressure in the cylinders. what do you want a turbo for? is this a race truck?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
I would skip the turbo and so a regear. Sts turbo has a Tacoma kit. On the Tacoma I would rather go with a supercharger. No turbo lag.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
I would skip the turbo and so a regear. Sts turbo has a Tacoma kit. On the Tacoma I would rather go with a supercharger. No turbo lag.
x2 turbo makes more power and doesnt take power to make power. but for the tacoma i would probably go with a supercharger unless you wanted a good sum of power
Old 04-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
RansomFTW has a spectacular aura aboutRansomFTW has a spectacular aura aboutRansomFTW has a spectacular aura about

RansomFTW's Tacoma Gallery
Boosting a car is more than just bolting a turbo to the engine... Do your research and make sure you're willing to get involved with a project of this magnitude. And if you can figure out how turbos and supercharges actually work, it really helps you understand what goes into boosting your engine
Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Customtacos.com had a handful of people who turbo'd the 5vz. Being a V6 it is trickier that a 4cyl. Doesn't mean it cannot be done. Twins usually are easier to do on a V. That being said, I have a single.

A GT30R would be the a proper size, or equivalent sized journal bearing Precision Turbo. Get the TiAL stainless steel turbine housing for the Garrett. You will need to have a custom fabricated crossover pipe to make the connection, if you plan on doing single. As well as down pipe and cat back, intake and intercooler.

Then you need to figure out how you are going to tune it.

Either way, this isn't going to be a cheap process. It won't be retarded expensive, but just the necessities of quality will be a pretty penny.

What are your core thoughts, timeframe, and budget?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
check out the 1st gen market place there was a guy selling his custom front mount kit, everything from full exhaust, intercoolers, and injectors. for 4k and he was putting out some pretty mean numbers, and it would just "bolt on",give or take, since it was designed for the 3.4.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Cahasty is on a distinguished road
Cahasty's Tacoma Gallery
Well i really dont have a timeline, and it isnt a race truck. i am just interested in increaseing power. If nothing else, anybody have any reconmendations to increase hp/trq? Im already going to buy headers, but i am just looking into the future.