1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help With Turbo!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Cahasty, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Apr 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    Cahasty

Cahasty [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wheels/Tires, Flowmaster Muffler.
    Hello, i'm brand new to the forums so here i go. I have been wanting to upgrade the power of my 01 Tacoma 3.4L V6. I started with Wheels/Tires and then bought a flow master muffler. Now i actually have two questions for this one, i want to purchase a turbo and new headers. But I'm not a gear-head like most. I don't know what to look for turbo wise. If anyone could help me find one that wont drain my wallet, but also be dependable, it would be greatly appreciated!! Also, should i do the headers first or the turbo??? Thanks Ahead of time :)
    -Chase

2. Apr 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM
    blake5995

blake5995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    when you get a turbo the best bet is to buy a kit and the headers for a turbo application are different than for stock so if you buy a turbo you will need to get the headers for the turbo

3. Apr 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM
    blake5995

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    also a turbo is gonna put added stress on the engine. the bottom end of the engine will wear quicker especially the bearings because of the added pressure in the cylinders. what do you want a turbo for? is this a race truck?

4. Apr 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    I would skip the turbo and so a regear. Sts turbo has a Tacoma kit. On the Tacoma I would rather go with a supercharger. No turbo lag.

5. Apr 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM
    blake5995

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    x2 turbo makes more power and doesnt take power to make power. but for the tacoma i would probably go with a supercharger unless you wanted a good sum of power

6. Apr 25, 2013 at 12:36 AM
    RansomFTW

RansomFTW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 SR5
    Boosting a car is more than just bolting a turbo to the engine... Do your research and make sure you're willing to get involved with a project of this magnitude. And if you can figure out how turbos and supercharges actually work, it really helps you understand what goes into boosting your engine

7. Apr 25, 2013 at 4:25 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Customtacos.com had a handful of people who turbo'd the 5vz. Being a V6 it is trickier that a 4cyl. Doesn't mean it cannot be done. Twins usually are easier to do on a V. That being said, I have a single.

A GT30R would be the a proper size, or equivalent sized journal bearing Precision Turbo. Get the TiAL stainless steel turbine housing for the Garrett. You will need to have a custom fabricated crossover pipe to make the connection, if you plan on doing single. As well as down pipe and cat back, intake and intercooler.

Then you need to figure out how you are going to tune it.

Either way, this isn't going to be a cheap process. It won't be retarded expensive, but just the necessities of quality will be a pretty penny.

What are your core thoughts, timeframe, and budget?

8. Apr 25, 2013 at 4:56 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    check out the 1st gen market place there was a guy selling his custom front mount kit, everything from full exhaust, intercoolers, and injectors. for 4k and he was putting out some pretty mean numbers, and it would just "bolt on",give or take, since it was designed for the 3.4.

9. Apr 25, 2013 at 5:04 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    ^^^^^ And there you go!

10. Apr 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    Cahasty

Cahasty [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wheels/Tires, Flowmaster Muffler.
    Well i really dont have a timeline, and it isnt a race truck. i am just interested in increaseing power. If nothing else, anybody have any reconmendations to increase hp/trq? Im already going to buy headers, but i am just looking into the future.

11. Apr 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    You should follow up with what yota243 said. :thumbsup:

12. Apr 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16

Products Discussed in

To Top