Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

AT 2525 vs. Magnaflow

Old 04-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
90tacoSC is on a distinguished road
Name: Daniel
90tacoSC's Tacoma Gallery
AT 2525 vs. Magnaflow

i currently have the 18" magnaflow on my 09 pre runner 4.0L sport taco.

its pretty weak as far as sound goes, and while im driving it i cant seem to tell if it sounds like a truck or a honda civic.

i was thinking of switching to the Aero Turbine 2525, just was wondering what the differences in performance was? and how the drone is while in motion?
all ears for feedback!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Iirc the 2525xl has a resonator........that may be of benefit if u have rasp.

A few guys on xru have done some extensive muffler swaps and even combinations to get rid of rasp....especially after headers and cat deletes.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Iirc the 2525xl has a resonator........that may be of benefit if u have rasp.

A few guys on xru have done some extensive muffler swaps and even combinations to get rid of rasp....especially after headers and cat deletes.
Well this TW guy has always been on a mission to delete rasp...

OP, I am currently running an aero 2525 setup with headers, cat delete, the whole bit. I would suggest that you add in a resonator to get yourself out of the Honda Civic range, but since you are looking for more sound a muffler swap might be in order. I will put my vote in for either an Aero 2525 or a Wicked Flows muffler. I'm not sure which model MF you have, but I can almost assure you that either one will be louder. I personally got over the rasp of just the AT2525 in my truck rather quickly and added in an 18" resonator later on down the road. I would recommend that everyone do that, but some like the ease of only doing it once and go with the 2525xl which has a built in resonator.

All in all it really comes down to what you like to hear. I am happy with my setup though I will admit it does drone a bit, but nothing that is mind numbing or can't be overcome by the radio. My tires make more noise. I recommend checking out some videos on youtube. I even have a few of my setup on there (same username). If you have any detailed questions, feel free to pm me.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Well this TW guy has always been on a mission to delete rasp...

OP, I am currently running an aero 2525 setup with headers, cat delete, the whole bit. I would suggest that you add in a resonator to get yourself out of the Honda Civic range, but since you are looking for more sound a muffler swap might be in order. I will put my vote in for either an Aero 2525 or a Wicked Flows muffler. I'm not sure which model MF you have, but I can almost assure you that either one will be louder. I personally got over the rasp of just the AT2525 in my truck rather quickly and added in an 18" resonator later on down the road. I would recommend that everyone do that, but some like the ease of only doing it once and go with the 2525xl which has a built in resonator.

All in all it really comes down to what you like to hear. I am happy with my setup though I will admit it does drone a bit, but nothing that is mind numbing or can't be overcome by the radio. My tires make more noise. I recommend checking out some videos on youtube. I even have a few of my setup on there (same username). If you have any detailed questions, feel free to pm me.
Hey i was just about to PM you with exhaust questions.... guess i found my answer haha
Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Hey i was just about to PM you with exhaust questions.... guess i found my answer haha
Good deal Lemme know if you have anything specific
Old 04-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
his exhaust note will be changing soon anyhow

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Good deal Lemme know if you have anything specific
enjoy the whine

BTW, I lost most of my rasp
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
laemmons is on a distinguished road

laemmons's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90tacoSC View Post
i currently have the 18" magnaflow on my 09 pre runner 4.0L sport taco.

its pretty weak as far as sound goes, and while im driving it i cant seem to tell if it sounds like a truck or a honda civic.

i was thinking of switching to the Aero Turbine 2525, just was wondering what the differences in performance was? and how the drone is while in motion?
all ears for feedback!
Just got my AT2525 installed today and I love it! Best sounding exhaust for tacoma I've heard so far. Muffler shop said so too! Has a very mild drone at cruising speed but actually think its less drone than that knock off flowmaster I had. Highly recommend the aero turbine. (Not to mention its stainless steel)
Got it from this website for $100 with free shipping. Aero Turbine for sale
Old 05-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
So from what I read the at2525xl has a built in resonator....why the second resonator?
If you're going for the sound profile without all of the decibels it is necessary...
Old 05-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I personally got over the rasp of just the AT2525 in my truck rather quickly and added in an 18" resonator later on down the road

I agree 1000x. I have had my Aero Turbine 2525 with no resonator for over a year now. And while I will say it does sound great, trust me, having a loud exhaust that drones and resonates through the cabin will get old REAL quick. Sometimes actually most of the time if you take long commutes over an hour you'll leave your truck with a headache. I wish I had gotten the resonated version because I'm definately sick of it.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
I agree 1000x. I have had my Aero Turbine 2525 with no resonator for over a year now. And while I will say it does sound great, trust me, having a loud exhaust that drones and resonates through the cabin will get old REAL quick. Sometimes actually most of the time if you take long commutes over an hour you'll leave your truck with a headache. I wish I had gotten the resonated version because I'm definately sick of it.
A resonator will cost you like $30 plus a little shop time... 50 bucks to tame that thing down a little bit and take that rasp out.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
^ Thanks yeah Ive been putting it off for a while. I'm back and because of this thread I am now the new happy owner of a Aero Turbine resonator to pair up with my 2525! I just placed an order for one online.

Just say NO to headaches!