LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Hestitation Issue - 2011 Tacoma w/TRD Supercharger

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
snowman72 [OP] snowman72 is offline
Junior Member
snowman72 is on a distinguished road
Name: Carlos
Joined: Apr 2013, #103060
Location: Wesley Chapel, Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 2
snowman72's Tacoma Gallery
Hestitation Issue - 2011 Tacoma w/TRD Supercharger

I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma with the TRD Supercharger, TRD cold air intake and the TRD Catback. It was running fine and all of the sudden it starting to hestiate and feels like it about to stall when I drive it. I took it to the dealership and the codes show miss firing. The dealer is stuck and does not seem to know how to fix the problem. Orginally they though the issue was a result of bad gas. Any suggestions?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Super Werty's Avatar
Joined: Aug 2008, #8278
Location: Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 548
Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
limp mode

could be a ton of different things. I had the same issues and it never went away until i got tuned.

Try cleaning off the MAF sensor
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Justus's Avatar
Name: Robert Paulson
Joined: Jan 2013, #94417
Location: in your mirror
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,951
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for outcome...............not cool
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Member
scottg918514 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2013, #99203
Gender: Male
Posts: 95
scottg918514's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman72 View Post
I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma with the TRD Supercharger, TRD cold air intake and the TRD Catback. It was running fine and all of the sudden it starting to hestiate and feels like it about to stall when I drive it. I took it to the dealership and the codes show miss firing. The dealer is stuck and does not seem to know how to fix the problem. Orginally they though the issue was a result of bad gas. Any suggestions?
Which cylinder? Take plug then coil from that cylinder and swap to another. Does misfire move? If so, you found issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Senior Member
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
thebottomline's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2010, #46203
Location: Pac NW
Gender: Male
Posts: 527
thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
how many miles on it? I have a very similar setup although your complaint has been seen in all sorts of different vehicle configurations...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
snowman72 [OP] snowman72 is offline
Junior Member
snowman72 is on a distinguished road
Name: Carlos
Joined: Apr 2013, #103060
Location: Wesley Chapel, Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 2
snowman72's Tacoma Gallery
Missfire issue

Thank you all for the input and feedback. The MAF sensor has been checked several times. The missfire is not consistent to one cyllinder, when plugged to the computer the missfire jumps around. The truck has 42k miles, of which 35k with the current set up. This issue started at around 39k miles.

Thanks again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Senior Member
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
Joined: May 2008, #6732
Location: colorado springs, colorado
Gender: Male
Posts: 254
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
the TRD CAI is NOT compatible with the TRD SC!
this has been listed all over TRD website, at the dealership and a few other places.
the reason is because the diameter of the CAI is slightly larger than it should be, there the MAF reads less air flowing to the engine than is actually flowing. the ECU is not programmable so you cannot adjust the MAF. you might try talking to gadget because i think they have a MAF controller that may solve your problem.

i spoke to TRD recently about this on my truck and they told me another customer recently destroyed his engine because it ran lean due to the CAI. if you run the CAI without the SC it works just fine because in a N/A configuration the airflow is not as critical.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
KenpachiZaraki's Avatar
Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
Joined: May 2009, #17581
Location: Lubbock ╮(╯▽╰)╭
Age: 30
Gender: Dude
Posts: 2,608
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
the TRD CAI is NOT compatible with the TRD SC!
this has been listed all over TRD website, at the dealership and a few other places.
the reason is because the diameter of the CAI is slightly larger than it should be, there the MAF reads less air flowing to the engine than is actually flowing. the ECU is not programmable so you cannot adjust the MAF. you might try talking to gadget because i think they have a MAF controller that may solve your problem.

i spoke to TRD recently about this on my truck and they told me another customer recently destroyed his engine because it ran lean due to the CAI. if you run the CAI without the SC it works just fine because in a N/A configuration the airflow is not as critical.
Leave it to the customer who know more than the mechanics because we're dedicated good info to know!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Joined: Sep 2009, #22958
Location: Houston
Gender: Dude
Posts: 3,978
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the 1st gen or second gen TRD intake?

The reason that the 1st gen wasn't "compatible" is because it wasn't 50state legal. It removed the carbo filter. By all means, that one made by aFe, is compatible.

The 2nd gen is as well but was poorly designed. Like bass mentioned, it creates all sorts of MAF turbulence. There is a fix for it. Needless to say, K&N did a hack job on its construction.

AFe still makes their version of the TRD gen 1 intake. A worthy investment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
Member
scottg918514 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2013, #99203
Gender: Male
Posts: 95
scottg918514's Tacoma Gallery
Since is random:


Check Engine Light On, P0300 Random Misfire Code

A random misfire means your engine is misfiring, but that the problem is not isolated to one or two cylinders. It is jumping around in a random way from one cylinder to another. A random misfire code usually means the air/fuel mixture is running lean. But the cause might be anything from a hard-to-find vacuum leak to dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, a weak ignition coil, bad plug wires, or compression problems. Even a dirty MAF sensor can cause a lean code and/or misfire to occur. The engine may be stalling because it isn’t getting enough throttle opening. The cause is often a problem in the idle air control system. The first thing to check is the intake vacuum with a vacuum gauge. On most vehicles a normal reading is 17 to 21 inches Hg. If the needle is lower, is jumping up and down or steadily dropping, you have a vacuum problem. Look for possible vacuum leaks by checking vacuum hose connections, the throttle body and manifold, and PVC valve and plumbing. An EGR valve that is leaking can also act like a vacuum leak and cause a random misfire. The next thing you should check is the fuel pressure with a gauge. If it is not within specifications (refer to a service manual for specifics because fuel pressure is critical for proper engine performance), the problem may be a weak fuel pump, low voltage to the pump (check the relay and wiring), or obstructions in the fuel line (like a plugged filter). A bad fuel pressure relay can also leak pressure and prevent an otherwise good fuel pump from delivering full pressure to the injectors. Dirty injectors can also restrict fuel delivery and cause a lean fuel condition. Many regular grades of gasoline do not contain adequate levels of detergent to keep the injectors clean. Frequent short trip driving accelerates the buildup of injector deposits. Cleaning the injectors with a good quality fuel tank additive (or having them professionally cleaned) can solve this problem. Look at short term fuel trim (STFT) and long term fuel trim (LTFT) with your AutoTap Express DIY. If the numbers are high, it tells you the engine is running lean.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Justus's Avatar
Name: Robert Paulson
Joined: Jan 2013, #94417
Location: in your mirror
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,951
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Do you have the 1st gen or second gen TRD intake?

The reason that the 1st gen wasn't "compatible" is because it wasn't 50state legal. It removed the carbo filter. By all means, that one made by aFe, is compatible.

The 2nd gen is as well but was poorly designed. Like bass mentioned, it creates all sorts of MAF turbulence. There is a fix for it. Needless to say, K&N did a hack job on its construction.

AFe still makes their version of the TRD gen 1 intake. A worthy investment.

As usual, I gotta agreed with Mr Toespeed

The afe stage2 Si has not caused any errors here yet, and rlly complimented the lil black compressor box well. Thank god I can't hear the insane racket the intake used to make n/a
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold
 
cjimenRR's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2009, #19648
Location: North Hollywood, Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 822
cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
What's the fuel trim levels? If the long term fuel trim is high you have a vacum leak. If short trim fuel is high you might have a bad coil, bad spark plug, etc. Lots of scenarios for you
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
wrmathis's Avatar
Army: Instructor: AAAB/Bravo Co 1-210 AVN REGT/128th AVN BDE (Provisional)
Name: Ryan Mathis
Joined: Sep 2008, #9126
Location: Lives: Newport News, VA(soon to be Ft. Carson)/Home: Leesburg, GA
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,401
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Do you have any bad vacuum leaks? Check the pcv hose on the driver side valve cover.

Honestly, I doubt that is the cause since you aren't getting a lean or rich CEL, but it is worth a shot.

Does it continuously misfire, or sporadically?

Do you have any pictures of the engine bay? If so, the more angles you have the better.

i had a bad vacuum leak and the only codes i was gettin was the p0300-p0306 and then p0021,p0022,p0011,p0012. seemed to be different every time it threw a code. found out it was my catch can i had installed was leaking. cut the hose and reconnected and it was all fine
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Senior Member
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
thebottomline's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2010, #46203
Location: Pac NW
Gender: Male
Posts: 527
thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
the TRD CAI is NOT compatible with the TRD SC!
this has been listed all over TRD website, at the dealership and a few other places.
the reason is because the diameter of the CAI is slightly larger than it should be, there the MAF reads less air flowing to the engine than is actually flowing. the ECU is not programmable so you cannot adjust the MAF. you might try talking to gadget because i think they have a MAF controller that may solve your problem.

i spoke to TRD recently about this on my truck and they told me another customer recently destroyed his engine because it ran lean due to the CAI. if you run the CAI without the SC it works just fine because in a N/A configuration the airflow is not as critical.
This is absolutely not true and can be seen by the many users with this setup. I speak only for the 2011 tacoma as that is the only specific one I researched. They are compatible, according to TRD and the dealership, but require a minor modification. The air intake has an extension piece close to the throttle body that has to be trimmed.
TRD says generically they are not compatible because in testing some engines can run lean, but the vast majority do not. It is done for legal reasons, but warranty is not void having both installed. This is based on numerous calls to TRD and multiple dealerships.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
Senior Member
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
Joined: May 2008, #6732
Location: colorado springs, colorado
Gender: Male
Posts: 254
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebottomline View Post
This is absolutely not true and can be seen by the many users with this setup. I speak only for the 2011 tacoma as that is the only specific one I researched. They are compatible, according to TRD and the dealership, but require a minor modification. The air intake has an extension piece close to the throttle body that has to be trimmed.
TRD says generically they are not compatible because in testing some engines can run lean, but the vast majority do not. It is done for legal reasons, but warranty is not void having both installed. This is based on numerous calls to TRD and multiple dealerships.
so you say, but when i asked the dealer for the cost to install along with the TRD SC i was told at the parts counter, it is not compatible, told by the service advisor it was not compatible. was no satisfied with the answers i got from either of those answers from those sources so talked directly with TRD 2x on the phone with TRD and inquired with them due to the fact their website also states not compatible.
just for a simple answer of WHY? its a TRD part and it will fit as expected so whats the deal. they said they will not warranty engine failure as a result of the TRD CAI installed
gadget also confirmed not compatible and was the only person who gave me an actual reason. the inside diameter of the intake is too large and will cause the truck to run excessively lean.
made perfect sense to me! i guess we have to wait for yours to blow up before you'll believe anyone either. thats cool...

are you running a wideband AFR? how do you know yours isn't running lean? i installed one on mine and with the stock airbox it runs almost dead on 14.7:1 AFR i would be willing to test an intake but i am not going to blow 400 bucks to see it runs lean as a result.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
StAndrew's Avatar
Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
Joined: Feb 2010, #30950
Location: Hampton Roads, Va
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,263
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
so you say, but when i asked the dealer for the cost to install along with the TRD SC i was told at the parts counter, it is not compatible, talked directly with TRD 2x on the phone with TRD and inquired with them due to the fact their website also states not compatible.
gadget also confirmed not compatible.
Bottomline, its not compatible.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
Senior Member
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
thebottomline's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2010, #46203
Location: Pac NW
Gender: Male
Posts: 527
thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
so you say, but when i asked the dealer for the cost to install along with the TRD SC i was told at the parts counter, it is not compatible, told by the service advisor it was not compatible. was no satisfied with the answers i got from either of those answers from those sources so talked directly with TRD 2x on the phone with TRD and inquired with them due to the fact their website also states not compatible.
just for a simple answer of WHY? its a TRD part and it will fit as expected so whats the deal. they said they will not warranty engine failure as a result of the TRD CAI installed
gadget also confirmed not compatible and was the only person who gave me an actual reason. the inside diameter of the intake is too large and will cause the truck to run excessively lean.
made perfect sense to me! i guess we have to wait for yours to blow up before you'll believe anyone either. thats cool...

are you running a wideband AFR? how do you know yours isn't running lean? i installed one on mine and with the stock airbox it runs almost dead on 14.7:1 AFR i would be willing to test an intake but i am not going to blow 400 bucks to see it runs lean as a result.

Yes I am running a wideband AFR and I can say with certainty I am not running lean. That said, I wouldn't buy the aftermarket pulley due to the risk of pushing it lean.

I will not come online and argue something gadget may have said. I am telling you TRD and 2 different dealerships said they will work and installed it, plus I can also confirm I am not running lean. That is why I have a hard time with you telling everyone they are not compatible, when on mine (and several other TW members) they clearly are compatible with a minor modification.

The dealership did say that if in fact there were any problems, the CAI would have to come off, instead of simply trying to "fix" the issue. That is why I referred to the legality of saying they aren't compatible. I have yet to read any posts of someone that this happened to.
Modification:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMpeTdseMU
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #20
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Joined: Sep 2009, #22958
Location: Houston
Gender: Dude
Posts: 3,978
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm. So how is it that I had a friend who had an '09 with it. Then after council, decided to swap it to the AFe?

Either way. 2009-'11 are the same.

14.7 AFR at idle and cruising is correct.

Usually with the reflash, at WOT, the AFR will be mid 10's to 11's. They always make it extra fat to stay on the safe side. The reflash can easily handle the 2.85 pulley with ease and still be safe. As long as the fuel pump was upgraded.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRD Supercharger with TRD Cold Air Intake 2011 OffRoad.Frog 2nd Gen. Tacomas 69 04-02-2014 04:28 PM
2012 Tacoma TRD Supercharger Eruff79 2nd Gen. Tacomas 254 02-24-2014 09:54 AM
Major issue with 2011 Tacoma Access Cab Door Jwake 2nd Gen. Tacomas 97 06-12-2011 03:07 PM
Steering Issue with a 2011 Trd Double Cab wildtrt 2nd Gen. Tacomas 9 01-25-2011 10:40 PM
After fuel up hestitation jmg5wakeboarding 4 Cylinder 4 11-09-2010 06:02 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.