Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2012 DT shorty header problem....

Old 05-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
2012 DT shorty header problem....

Hi all! I just got my DT shorty headers ad taking a look at them and getting ready to install them.. I realise that these thngs dont have a bungy or connector for the o2 sensor.. what the hell!!!

The older style headers have it.. So I dont know what im going to do.. how can they forget to put the o2 sensor hook up.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
shit

Old 05-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Any half decent exhaust shop can install the bungs.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Any half decent exhaust shop can install the bungs.
should he worry about the ceramic coating being drilled through?

I just dunno if it will lead to flaking/cracking

Id assume he paid for the bungs to be installed from thorley tho...I wouldnt be happy to have to pay someone else to do their job if thats the case.

its bad enough hes gotta have the cats welded on
Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
should he worry about the ceramic coating being drilled through?

I just dunno if it will lead to flaking/cracking

Id assume he paid for the bungs to be installed from thorley tho...I wouldnt be happy to have to pay someone else to do their job if thats the case.

its bad enough hes gotta have the cats welded on
The coating should be fine. It doesn't do much anyway, 'cept keep the color longer.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

As for the cats being welded on, exhaust shops do that all the time. Its no biggie.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As for the cats being welded on, exhaust shops do that all the time. Its no biggie.
I know, but the bungs are still more work he shouldnt have to pay for.... Id be on the phone.

unless thats 1 of the issues with the 2012+ shorties, I know they are a diff part number

gah, I feel for ya OP
Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #8

Quote:
I know, but the bungs are still more work he shouldnt have to pay for.... Id be on the phone.

unless thats 1 of the issues with the 2012+ shorties, I know they are a diff part number

gah, I feel for ya OP
IIRC, on the '09's and up, the system 1 sensors are placed further up the exhaust than on the 08's and below, thus some header manufactures leave the bungs off, so the shop doing the install can install them in the correct, or near OEM locations.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #9

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
from the URD site (regarding the 06- 11 short tubes

Quote:
The installation of this header requires cutting the catalytic converter from the stock manifold and welding it to the short tube header and installing the included O2 sensor bungs on some applications.
damn, wish I knew more about them

EDIT

Quote:
IIRC, on the '09's and up, the system 1 sensors are placed further up the exhaust than on the 08's and below, thus some header manufactures leave the bungs off, so the shop doing the install can install them in the correct, or near OEM locations.
Chris may have it there
Old 05-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Its stupid that they forgot to install the o2 bungys!! I or ready modifyed the header so i doubt they will take them back.
Im going to cut and modify the header and cat pipe to get the bungy as close to stock location as possible and line everything up and get it tacked.
The welding is no biggy, I cant weld pretty good, im just super pissed i have to modify my new headers.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #11

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Could i just install my own bungy? Its just a nut welded onto the header right?
Just drill the hole and weld on the right bolt?
That may be easier then cutting and modifying the headers and cat pipe...
I just dont know!
I emailed URD and asked them if all there DT 2012 shorty headers not have the o2 bungy.. Probably wont hear from them till monday though..
I really want to get this done this weekend so i can have my truck
Old 05-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I did a lot of reading here on DT and LCE before choosing which header to get. While most people were satisfied with both products, DT headers had more complaints.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
What's wrong with the stock headers?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #14

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
^^im starting to think the same thing. This shit isnt worth alittle more power and maybe better mpg's!!! I wish URD would take them back. But i they probably wont bc ive or ready did something to them, that probably voided any warrenty.
I geuss i just have to try and make them work..
Old 05-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #15

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
My trucks exhaust is all hacked up right now, tomorrow im going to weld all the stock shit back together and reinstall it. Then figure out what im going to do. This f***ing sucks!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #16

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and the kicker, is that this was sappose to be a nice Bday gift for me self..
Old 05-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #17
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
I would just do a cat back exhaust and leave the stock headers alone plus maybe a cold air intake
Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #18
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
I would just do a cat back exhaust and leave the stock headers alone plus maybe a cold air intake
If I had to pick one or the other... it would probably be the headers
Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #19
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETaco23 View Post
My trucks exhaust is all hacked up right now, tomorrow im going to weld all the stock shit back together and reinstall it. Then figure out what im going to do. This f***ing sucks!!!

Good idea. Going back to stock is what I would do for now until you find out what DT will do. It's so easy to "lose the rabbit". Most exhaust modifications reduce the backpressure so much that they reduce the low end torque in exchange for perhaps an increase in top end performance. But most drivers aren't winding out the engine all the time and so are primarily operating their engines within the area of reduced low end torque. And what good is that?

My approach is to leave these exhaust elements sacrosanct:

sensors
catalytic convertors
resonators
exhaust pipe diameter

...because they were engineered in harmony with the engine.

That leaves only the exhaust header and muffler. For the header, I chose LCE over DT because their attention to detail in design does not disturb any of the stock engine management equipment, whereas Some of the DT products fall short in this area. It installed easily in 2 hours with absolutely no fitment or operating issues. For the muffler, I chose a large relatively quiet Magnaflow just for a nice mild pleasant exhaust note. The stock pipe with all of its cats and resonators is just fine as it's mandrel bent tubing engineered for for low end torque.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #20
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
shit

Notice that the runners on those headers are all different lengths. In my opinion that's a negative.