Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

TRD Catback Exhaust Cut After Axle? (Question)

Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Catback Exhaust Cut After Axle? (Question)

As I may be getting a H/C bumper in the future or just planning on cutting my exhaust after the axle, I have a question for anyone who knows. I have the TRD Catback Exhaust and I was wondering if there would be any change to the sound/performance if I cut it after the axle and just put a small tip on the end after the turn down. I don't want to change the sound or anything like that so I wanted to find this question out before I did it.

Matt
Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
sound will change slightly. i assume you will no longer have the spare under the truck?
i would instead do your exhuast like this.. http://urdusa.com/Exhaust-&-Headers-...duct_info.html

and run it along side the frame and dump down by the bumper
Old 05-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I chopped my TRD exhaust and noticed a bit of a change in the sound.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnTRD View Post
I chopped my TRD exhaust and noticed a bit of a change in the sound.
Where did you chop it? And did you put a turn down tip or anything?

Matt
Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Where did you chop it? And did you put a turn down tip or anything?

Matt
Right here over the axle and pointed down.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #6

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnTRD View Post
Right here over the axle and pointed down.
Cool, thank you. Did you put a tip on or anything?

Matt
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
McBuckets
Quote:
Cool, thank you. Did you put a tip on or anything?

Matt
Nope
Old 06-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #8

Firefighter:
To follow up on my question to you guys that have dumped exhausts, was a sawzall enough to cut the exhaust hanger that is welded to the frame? Also, did you just cut it a little away from the frame and file the edge down or what?

Planning on doing this Saturday at the firehouse and just want to clear up some of my confusion.

Matt
Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I'd leave the hanger be if it's not in the way of anything just in case you change things later on. But if you cut anything with a Sawzall, stay away from the welds as they're really hardened and will dull your blade before you can cut through them. I dumped my exhaust (stock muffler) right after the axle and put a tip on it to aim the hot exhaust away from the spare...

I like how you can't see any exhaust pipe at all from the outside.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I'd leave the hanger be if it's not in the way of anything just in case you change things later on. But if you cut anything with a Sawzall, stay away from the welds as they're really hardened and will dull your blade before you can cut through them. I dumped my exhaust (stock muffler) right after the axle and put a tip on it to aim the hot exhaust away from the spare...

I like how you can't see any exhaust pipe at all from the outside.
Are you talking about the hanger that's further back? I have one that is almost all the way to the tip, under the rear bedside. Is there a way to pull the part of the exhaust I will cut off of the hanger?

Matt
Old 06-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you talking about the hanger that's further back? I have one that is almost all the way to the tip, under the rear bedside. Is there a way to pull the part of the exhaust I will cut off of the hanger?

Matt
Yes. Spray the rubber coupling with WD 40. Wedge a long screwdriver through either one of the end holes and twist it off.

I saw a muffler guy do that.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #12

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Yes. Spray the rubber coupling with WD 40. Wedge a long screwdriver through either one of the end holes and twist it off.

I saw a muffler guy do that.
Ok thanks Tooter, I will try that this weekend.

Matt