LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Is the TRD CAI now compatible with the S/C??

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Junior Member
ericprksd77 is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
Joined: May 2013, #103600
Location: Sacramento
Gender: Male
Posts: 2
ericprksd77's Tacoma Gallery
Is the TRD CAI now compatible with the S/C??

Hey all,

I have a 2011 Tacoma with a TRD CAI that I had installed when I first bought the truck. I now have funds to purchase the TRD S/C, but I'm confused as to whether the S/C will work with the CAI. A lot of the older posts state that the two items are not compatible as the CAI triggers lean codes and will void warranty. But a lot of the newer posts show guys successfully running the combo without voiding the warranty, and the combo is dealer installed. In fact, there's a video showing the "fix" to the issue where the fix was simply cutting the hose.

Has this issue truly been fixed? Did Toyota reconcile the TRD CAI with its S/C? Can I now run the TRD CAI with the S/C without issue? Or am I just taking a huge risk doing so? Any info would be good since I'm supposed to do the S/C install this Wednesday.

Thanks in advance

E
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Junior Member
ericprksd77 is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
Joined: May 2013, #103600
Location: Sacramento
Gender: Male
Posts: 2
ericprksd77's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the redundancy of this topic. I ran a better search and found a close-enough answer which, for the most part, is still confusing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Justus's Avatar
Name: Robert Paulson
Joined: Jan 2013, #94417
Location: in your mirror
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,948
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
I think its like this...................

The newer (all plastic) trd intake is messed up


The older trd intake (silver brushed aluminum top) works just fine, and the afe stage 2 Si works just fine with the trd supercharger.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
thebottomline's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2010, #46203
Location: Pac NW
Gender: Male
Posts: 527
thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericprksd77 View Post
Hey all,

I have a 2011 Tacoma with a TRD CAI that I had installed when I first bought the truck. I now have funds to purchase the TRD S/C, but I'm confused as to whether the S/C will work with the CAI. A lot of the older posts state that the two items are not compatible as the CAI triggers lean codes and will void warranty. But a lot of the newer posts show guys successfully running the combo without voiding the warranty, and the combo is dealer installed. In fact, there's a video showing the "fix" to the issue where the fix was simply cutting the hose.

Has this issue truly been fixed? Did Toyota reconcile the TRD CAI with its S/C? Can I now run the TRD CAI with the S/C without issue? Or am I just taking a huge risk doing so? Any info would be good since I'm supposed to do the S/C install this Wednesday.

Thanks in advance

E
I agree with the above comments, but since you already bought the TRD one, just make sure your dealership is on board. I recommend getting a wideband air fuel gauge installed too. The dealership you deal with seems to be the biggest factor, and since they will do the warranty work you need to know what their opinion is.

Many other threads about this, recently too.
I run this setup, and no issues, not lean etc. Not an ideal setup either. I've never read any tacomaworld user state that they were not compatible once they were installed. In other words, couldn't find someone consistently going lean. Not to say it doesn't happen though....
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough
 
ToyotaTacoma4Ever's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Sep 2012, #87783
Location: Alberta
Gender: Male
Posts: 404
ToyotaTacoma4Ever's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the second gen TRD cold air intake with the supercharger and I haven't ran into any issues with it whatsoever. My dealership even warrantied it since it has the TRD logo lol

Just that there's been a whole lot of controversy with the first and second gen C.A.I. set ups. I might soon switch over to an AFE stage 2si just because of that debate lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Junior Member
dpersons89 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddpersons89 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddpersons89 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddpersons89 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddpersons89 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddpersons89 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddpersons89 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddpersons89 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddpersons89 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddpersons89 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddpersons89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Reception BN NCO
Joined: May 2013, #103497
Location: Leonard Wood
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
dpersons89's Tacoma Gallery
just saw this thread..i am currently running a 2009 taco with dealership installed TRD supercharger...and have been shopping/considering putting in a cold air intake as my next mod. i am not really familiar with tacomas or toyotas in general, and really am just looking to better my gas mileage if possible, or if not, gain some more horsepower without sinking a whole lot of money. my body/suspension work is already done...i want to start messing with the engine now...just dont want to put money into stuff that is a waste. any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Justus's Avatar
Name: Robert Paulson
Joined: Jan 2013, #94417
Location: in your mirror
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,948
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpersons89 View Post
just saw this thread..i am currently running a 2009 taco with dealership installed TRD supercharger...and have been shopping/considering putting in a cold air intake as my next mod. i am not really familiar with tacomas or toyotas in general, and really am just looking to better my gas mileage if possible, or if not, gain some more horsepower without sinking a whole lot of money. my body/suspension work is already done...i want to start messing with the engine now...just dont want to put money into stuff that is a waste. any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Buy the afe stage 2 Si, or the older style trd intake (made by afe).

U want the trd intake with the aluminum top with bolts.... not the pos plastic housed 1 with clips.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Aug 2012, #83946
Location: Palmetto
Gender: Male
Posts: 269
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
I have the AFE Stage 2Si on my 2012. It has the smog pump relocate and other than that bracket and the logos looks practically identical to the first gen trd intake.

My only complaint is that screwing on the box cover for the intake requires warping space and time skills. The holes do not line up at all. I have to install 1 screw, bend the box, install an opposite screw, and so on. It is really difficult. Maybe mine is just messed up but it seems nearly impossible to line up the bolt holes for the box cover.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Justus's Avatar
Name: Robert Paulson
Joined: Jan 2013, #94417
Location: in your mirror
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,948
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoda View Post
I have the AFE Stage 2Si on my 2012. It has the smog pump relocate and other than that bracket and the logos looks practically identical to the first gen trd intake.

My only complaint is that screwing on the box cover for the intake requires warping space and time skills. The holes do not line up at all. I have to install 1 screw, bend the box, install an opposite screw, and so on. It is really difficult. Maybe mine is just messed up but it seems nearly impossible to line up the bolt holes for the box cover.
I've installed a few.

Start 1 bolt (any corner.....)
Then use an awl, or very small phillips driver to coax the lid/box around to line up another bolt (corner).

Repeat but only snug each 1 down...... THEN once all are installed, u should tighten them down all the way.

U wanna leave em just snug at first so u can move the lid around easily.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRD CAI and Supercharger are not compatible!! ToyotaTRD 2nd Gen. Tacomas 43 02-06-2013 07:38 PM
WTB:AFE CAI Stage 2/ TRD CAI trd888 Buy / Sell / Trade 2 02-05-2011 12:07 PM
WTB: TRD CAI, URD CAI. drade Buy / Sell / Trade 3 10-08-2010 02:11 PM
AFE CAI (same as TRD CAI) for $280 shipped...good deal? yosh2000 2nd Gen. Tacomas 12 04-28-2010 08:59 AM
TRD CAI or the AFE CAI SI SLOCOMA Performance and Tuning 39 03-07-2010 12:11 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.