Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Need some help! Proformance or suspension

Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
emilminasian is on a distinguished road
Name: Emil Minasian
emilminasian's Tacoma Gallery
Need some help! Proformance or suspension

So I have a budget of about 450 bucks and idk if I should do suspension first or performance , my suspension isn't gonna be for major offroading so it doesn't har to be intense. And for proformance need some more hp with 400 bucks what can I do to get the most hp gain
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
What are you looking to do suspension wise?

You're not going to get much with 400 bucks in the performance department. You could do an intake and/or exhaust and all that will change is the sound of the engine. Unfortunately with trucks, you need to lay down some cash in order to make a decent performance improvement.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
D.ont I.nsult C.razy K.illers
KevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Kev
KevbekTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
More stickers=more HP.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Just get a set of 5100's for your suspension. $400 aint going to get you much of anything for performance. Only thing worth while for good gains is a S/C. Even that I don't is worth how much they cost.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
400 on performance wont yield nearly the same satisfaction as 5100s will.

Trust me, 2k into longtube headers, y pipe, 02 sims, 3" catless back, and another 300 in an intake....I was less than thrilled.

So much so, I bought the blower the next business day.

Then it was apparent that my brakes weren't up to par.......there's aanother 500.

Get ur bilstien 5100s and call it a day

Hell, if u can.....get eibach/toytec coils and avoid preloading
Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
What do you guys think about this set http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilminasian View Post
What do you guys think about this set http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Been in a tacoma with them installed........very unimpressed, so was the owner
Old 05-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Had them on my 2nd gen. Did not ride as well as Brock's truck ^^ Who has simple 5100 and eibachs installed.

My truck was a lot more stiff and just felt worse overall
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
GoldMember
tacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMAQ-1
Name: Josh
tacosunday's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That isn't a bad setup, much better than stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
You just told him to go with bilstein's and mentioned better coils which the link he posted comes with eibachs. Are you trying to confuse him or are you confused?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Another thing is will I have uca issues ?if I want to go all the way
Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #11

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosunday View Post
That isn't a bad setup, much better than stock.

You just told him to go with bilstein's and mentioned better coils which the link he posted comes with eibachs. Are you trying to confuse him or are you confused?

5100s with eibachs (not preloaded) rides great....when u preload a stiff coil, the ride will suffer. The eibachs are good for 1.6" approx with billies at zero..... ome coils can get more lift used with 5100s or the ome shocks.

Im not confused, I specifically stated to avoid preloading......look at my previous posts.

I think u missed that part
Old 05-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
What's the Highest setting I can go with eibachs ?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
GoldMember
tacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
You also specifically stated this. Right after you told him to get 5100's.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's the Highest setting I can go with eibachs ?
I wouldn't go past .85 if you really need to even to do that. You want to keep your ride decent. Any higher and you will be wanting new uca's to get your alignment back. Anything over 2" of lift and you really should get new uca's to get a good driving alignment. Some people will debate this until they are blue in the face. 90% of the time you need them. You may be "in spec" but it still is not great heck not even good.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #15

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down unsubbed

Quote:
400 on performance wont yield nearly the same satisfaction as 5100s will.

Trust me, 2k into longtube headers, y pipe, 02 sims, 3" catless back, and another 300 in an intake....I was less than thrilled.

So much so, I bought the blower the next business day.

Then it was apparent that my brakes weren't up to par.......there's aanother 500.

Get ur bilstien 5100s and call it a day

Hell, if u can.....get eibach/toytec coils and avoid preloading
gave him 2 options since he wants to stay under his budget.... 5100's on stock coils wont be as bad as 5100's preloading a heavier coil (eibachs and some OME). Either or would be better than the preloaded eibachs in his link..... Been there have experienced both.

un preloaded eibachs are fine............preloaded sport coils would be the lesser cost, and not quite as good a ride.
preloaded eibachs will be rough due to the digressive shocks, heavier coils, and the act of preloading.

Quote:

again preloaded eibach coils with heavier spring rate than stock isnt a good idea for comfort

Quote:
his link is leading to a system that suggests preloading, which I try to avoid

Quote:
Quote:
5100s with eibachs (not preloaded) rides great....when u preload a stiff coil, the ride will suffer. The eibachs are good for 1.6" approx with billies at zero..... ome coils can get more lift used with 5100s or the ome shocks.

Im not confused, I specifically stated to avoid preloading......look at my previous posts.

I think u missed that part
Quote:
You also specifically stated this. Right after you told him to get 5100's.
Ill say this 1 time, then Im unsubbing to this thread

I HIGHLY recommend not preloading coils at all, especially a coil with heavier spring rates than stock like the Eibachs.

as a TRD sport owner, the truck will take preloading of the stock 550lb linear coils "better" than a trd offroads progressively wound coils.

"better" is relative...........but theres no way its gunna ride rougher than preloaded eibachs.

The exception being a high end adjustable coilover specifically made for preloading if needed, on a shock designed for this, and the ability to revalve them as needed.

The toytec kit takes the 5100 (digressive shock) and uses it to preload the coils... Im gunna assume they are valved to accept xxx amount of force while working with stock coils and our trucks up to a maximum of 2.5".

throwing a threaded body and threaded hat is not the same, especially when u throw in the eibach coils. They just are not valved for it imho, and the ride suffers.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
GoldMember

All your doing is arguing a point by repetition of the same theme, by using different words, but without making any progress. And I'm sure this might not make any sense to you, but he asked if the Toytec coilovers were any good, not if he could Preload them to hell and will still ride good. This is where the word Adjustable comes into play.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
colby8100 is on a distinguished road
Name: Colby
colby8100's Tacoma Gallery
350 $ 100shot wet kit all you need to keep up with trd s/c
Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
colby8100 is on a distinguished road
Name: Colby
colby8100's Tacoma Gallery
As far as the suspension goes I'd do like the rest said with the shocks. Theres a lot that goes into performance and suspension. You really need to understand how both function. Performance at 450 $ exaught and intake hp gain -2hp fuel economy -3mpg(your changing back pressure w/o supporting mods or tune) (mpgs because you'll be revving it up all the time to hear it. Shocks their not gonna change hight just stiffen for a rougher ride and change the reaction of rear suspension due to faster weight transfer which without performance is pointless.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Save your money. It was already said, but worth restating: you need to pay to play. When you have the cash put in a reliable lift, OME for example. The Icon setup w/AAL is also popular. You'll be a lot happier in the long run. Same goes for power mods, only that's a much bigger wad to blow if you want to do it right and be happy with the performance.

My two cents is free.