Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

which magnaflow muffler?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
jpatzig101 is on a distinguished road
jpatzig101's Tacoma Gallery
which magnaflow muffler?

Hello, I have 2010 dcsb trd sport. Looking to buy only a magnaflow muffler and "drop it in" where stock muffler is. I will attempt to do the install myself with either clamps or welding. I only have a stick welder...it might get ugly. My question is, which muffler (possibly model number?) or size should I be looking at to get the easiest install? Possibly without having to bend or extend any piping. And trying to find the correct offset of inlet and outlet. Thank you.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
colby8100 is on a distinguished road
Name: Colby
colby8100's Tacoma Gallery
just measure your stock one and get one similar I don't know what your looking for but finding one exact isn't going to be easy. Just take it to a shop tell them if you want it loud let them do it and be done. Welding exaught with a stick isn't easy and making sure there are no leaks and without a lift your probably going to get frustrated and end up paying someone to redo it
Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Clamps are not the best at sealing......I suggest welding.

Yes I tried the clamps that came with my catback, and they sucked. I had leaks at 2 of 3 clamp points.

Now its welded and im good to go
Old 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatzig101 View Post
Hello, I have 2010 dcsb trd sport. Looking to buy only a magnaflow muffler and "drop it in" where stock muffler is. I will attempt to do the install myself with either clamps or welding. I only have a stick welder...it might get ugly. My question is, which muffler (possibly model number?) or size should I be looking at to get the easiest install? Possibly without having to bend or extend any piping. And trying to find the correct offset of inlet and outlet. Thank you.
I did the same...

...but had a muffler shop do it for me. It only cost $45.

First, take an exact measurement of your exhaust pipe diameter. Your TRD Sport likely uses larger pipe.

My stock 2.7 exhaust was about 2 3/8 so the 18" 2.25" diameter offset Magnaflow muffler (#11265) I got off ebay did not slip over the pipes. It was a simple job for the muffler guy, because he had a hydraulic expander which opened up each end in about a second or two to slip over the existing pipes.

I also discovered that the 2.25" Magnaflow was exactly the same as the 2.5" except the entrance and exit tubes were swedged down to 2.25".

So if I were going to do it myself, I'd get the 18 inch Magnaflow offset(#11256) with 2.5" inlet and outlet... IF that will slip over the diameter of your exhaust pipes.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Thanks for the input guys. Got the Magnaflow 12586 off ebay. It's 22 in, but I'm looking to make sure it isn't too noisy in the cab when cruising. I'll get it welded professionally.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
The 22" ought to be really mellow.
Even the" 18 is reasonably quiet.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
runner05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Karl
runner05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. Got the Magnaflow 12586 off ebay. It's 22 in, but I'm looking to make sure it isn't too noisy in the cab when cruising. I'll get it welded professionally.
Nice. Please tell us your opinion about the Magnaflow 12586. I'm thinking of installing a new muffler but don't know yet what to get.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Ya i decided to go with the 22" after seeing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syftuWjG2hw

I bought the same muffler as this guy has, just different finish on outside of muffler. And I know this guy has the urd intake which puts out more sound, but I think the 22" will still have plenty of sound when I punch it. I'll try to get some video clips up next week when I get it installed
Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
I put the 12286 on mine, and it has more sound then I was expecting given the size. To me it sounds a bit ricey just off idle, and I get a sound peak right around 2200rpm, not quite a drone, but a sound peak, then from 2500 on it has a reasonably nice sound to it (it's a v6....).
Old 05-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Welp, tooter you were right. The 12586 is VERY mellow. It is definitely a step up from stock...but really not much extra sound. Highway cruising, I can't hear it all, not even a little. Step on the gas and it has some added low end sound, but that's about it. The muffler shop welded it on for $35. It literally took 5 minutes. The shop said I could sell them the 12586 and they could put on an 18" or smaller magnaflow. Think I may end up doing that.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Welp, tooter you were right. The 12586 is VERY mellow. It is definitely a step up from stock...but really not much extra sound. Highway cruising, I can't hear it all, not even a little. Step on the gas and it has some added low end sound, but that's about it. The muffler shop welded it on for $35. It literally took 5 minutes. The shop said I could sell them the 12586 and they could put on an 18" or smaller magnaflow. Think I may end up doing that.
I'd advise keeping the quieter 22" a while longer before you decide to ditch it for a louder one...

After about a week, the sound of the 18" got on my nerves and I put the stock muffler back on again.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I'd advise keeping the quieter 22" a while longer before you decide to ditch it for a louder one...

After about a week, the sound of the 18" got on my nerves and I put the stock muffler back on again.
I came from driving loud v8's, so the 18" is really quiet IMO. Still makes a slight rumble tho
Old 09-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
NateW is on a distinguished road
NateW's Tacoma Gallery
I have 14 inch magnapack and I love it