Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2012-2013 AFE CAI NOW AVAILABLE!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #101
The Slow But Getting Somewhere Build
tacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AC-130W Crew Chief
Name: Dane
tacodane's Tacoma Gallery
well all your saying is an opinion not a problem, I love the way my truck sounds with the afe cai with an aero turbine 2525 muffler
Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #102
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseunvoas View Post
i have the same problem it's called a wife
Mine never complains.

Buy her a milkshake or something.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #103
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacodane View Post
well all your saying is an opinion not a problem, I love the way my truck sounds with the afe cai with an aero turbine 2525 muffler
Correct, its all subjective...... I suppose someone could get objective numbers with a meter and compare it to others.
But even then, we each have our own tolerances. For instance I can't eat around anyone if there's no TV radio or other ppl talking. The sound of others chewing drives me nuts. We had a power out yesterday and when we ate I ate in a did room.... It sucks and I can't do anything about it.

The afe resonance killed me...... But the 3" exhaust and blower whine don't bug me 1 bit.... Possibly because I know that whine means HP.

Erryone is different.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #104
whitelightning is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
whitelightning's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoheny View Post
BAM!!!
So how did you get the discount? Live chat?

nevermind! just picked mine up for $287 shipped!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #105
Silverstreak77 is on a distinguished road
Silverstreak77's Tacoma Gallery
Justus- I had the URD on my last 2006 Taco. I really liked the tone it put off but I was always a bit nervous with rain and it picked up a ton of dust. All the cutting was not great either but it really is a nice piece! I went with the AFE to try something different and it's really growing on me the past couple days. Not really looking to have a conversation when I'm in the throttle though so while it is loud its only for a few seconds. Anyways, just my 2 cents!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #106
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
There is less dust in the grill than there is in the wheel well where the tire is stirring it up pretty well.

G
Old 07-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #107
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Installed my AFe today sounds awesome!

The question I have for everyone is.. My box seem to have quite a bit of movement is this normal? I can shake it a bit... I tightened it down good just wondering if this is normal?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #108
tacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceTaco View Post
Installed my AFe today sounds awesome!

The question I have for everyone is.. My box seem to have quite a bit of movement is this normal? I can shake it a bit... I tightened it down good just wondering if this is normal?
mine doesn't shake at all?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #109
Canadian Redneck

Your box is totally still? When you put in the one rubber mount did you hand tighten it? I just tightened it by hand then sat the box on tightened the nut and washer on then the two original bolts.. They are all tight but I have play.. Did you reuse the plastic scoop looking piece that went inside the wheel well?
Old 07-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #110
Canadian Redneck

Never mid you can't it's attached to the stock tube
Old 07-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #111
Canadian Redneck

What did you guys do with the smog pump wiring? How did you route it? I wish afe put a spot on the mount like the OE mount has for the connecter, I don't like it banging around..
Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #112

Quote:
What did you guys do with the smog pump wiring? How did you route it? I wish afe put a spot on the mount like the OE mount has for the connecter, I don't like it banging around..
things moving
everything with my afe is stiff, no banging or things moving around, with the wiring of the pump, the pump was only relocated on the mount off of the box
Old 07-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #113
Canadian Redneck

Quote:
things moving
everything with my afe is stiff, no banging or things moving around, with the wiring of the pump, the pump was only relocated on the mount off of the box
My movement is fine it's from the rubber grommets there will always be a little flex from the washers sitting on that rubber it's for vibes more than anything.. I'm good with it.

Yes the pump was relocated to the mount on th box but.. The oem mount had two slots in it that secured the connecter right to the oem mount and another just below it. My question is now the wiring goes behind the afe box with the afe connector going to the connector at the smog pump. Did anyone secure that wiring or connector somehow?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #114
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My movement is fine it's from the rubber grommets there will always be a little flex from the washers sitting on that rubber it's for vibes more than anything.. I'm good with it.

Yes the pump was relocated to the mount on th box but.. The oem mount had two slots in it that secured the connecter right to the oem mount and another just below it. My question is now the wiring goes behind the afe box with the afe connector going to the connector at the smog pump. Did anyone secure that wiring or connector somehow?
I tucked mine under the smog pump bracket and between CAI box and A/C lines. No issues and away from any source of heat
Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #115
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
mine doesn't shake at all?
Mine too

Tight like a tiger
Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #116
sdoheny will become famous soon enough

Name: Seth
sdoheny's Tacoma Gallery
I can only see one reason for the movement. I made this mistake originally when installing mine. There are two rubber gromments that are pretty thin close to the end of the OEM tube that hold it to the engine bay. If you use those thinner ones in combination with the rubber isolating mount/ nut/ washer ( as described in the directions) it WILL be loose. If you take the rubber mounts that are thicker from the actual oem air box( that mounts air box to head of engine) then everything will fit correctly and snug. Hope this makes sense and helps!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #117
Canadian Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoheny View Post
I can only see one reason for the movement. I made this mistake originally when installing mine. There are two rubber gromments that are pretty thin close to the end of the OEM tube that hold it to the engine bay. If you use those thinner ones in combination with the rubber isolating mount/ nut/ washer ( as described in the directions) it WILL be loose. If you take the rubber mounts that are thicker from the actual oem air box( that mounts air box to head of engine) then everything will fit correctly and snug. Hope this makes sense and helps!
I just double checked and I did use the correct ones.. The box is snug but if you try to rock it.. It does have some flex with the rubber mounts... It's not 100% tight that it can't move at all.. But I don't see how it could get any tighter with the rubber mounts used they are there for a reason..
Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #118
sdoheny will become famous soon enough

Name: Seth
sdoheny's Tacoma Gallery
I personally tightened mine down really good. The rubber bushing has a metal insert which is not exactly the same length as the inside of the rubber bushing. So i tightened mine until the metal insert was pretty much just acting as a spacer. The sound the box produces is amazing, it is deeper than my 18 in magnaflow muffler. I really wish i could hear an aero turbine 25/25 xl in person. Some of the youtube clips sound better than my magnaflow.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #119
Canadian Redneck

It sounds absolutely awesome with the aero exhaust...

For anyone who says they are useless, as far as numbers are concerned I have no idea and don't really care.. The throttle response feels so much better now.. And to me the sound alone is worth it. I would waste my money over and over again on this intake... It brought a revived love of the truck for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #120

Quote:
It sounds absolutely awesome with the aero exhaust...

For anyone who says they are useless, as far as numbers are concerned I have no idea and don't really care.. The throttle response feels so much better now.. And to me the sound alone is worth it. I would waste my money over and over again on this intake... It brought a revived love of the truck for me.
See afe cai with a aero turbine exhaust sounds amazing, you acutally think about it even if people say the afe is expensive, they would end up paying more for a muffler from magna flow or flow masters or even borla. Its a great set up