Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2012-2013 AFE CAI NOW AVAILABLE!

Old 07-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #121
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
are you guys using the rubber cover for the extra inlet or letting the air flow in from there also? I am running it without at this point.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #122
The Slow But Getting Somewhere Build
tacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AC-130W Crew Chief
Name: Dane
tacodane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceTaco View Post
are you guys using the rubber cover for the extra inlet or letting the air flow in from there also? I am running it without at this point.
I installed mine. i don't know if it makes a difference
Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #123
sdoheny will become famous soon enough

Name: Seth
sdoheny's Tacoma Gallery
I spoke to an AFE engineer about this and he wrote me the following....

"The auxiliary air inlet is to allow extra air flow for those folks use their truck for towing or in high altitude areas where the air is thinner. It allows extra air flow to the engine. The only time that you may see any hot air from the engine compartment is when you are at an idle, waiting for the traffic light to turn, train crossing, etc. At that point you are not under any throttle pressure so it really doesn't matter what the air temp is. As the vehicle starts moving forward, the cooler outside air is pushed into the filter area and forces whatever air that is in there into the engine and is replaced by the cooler outside air."
Old 07-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #124
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoheny View Post
I spoke to an AFE engineer about this and he wrote me the following....

"The auxiliary air inlet is to allow extra air flow for those folks use their truck for towing or in high altitude areas where the air is thinner. It allows extra air flow to the engine. The only time that you may see any hot air from the engine compartment is when you are at an idle, waiting for the traffic light to turn, train crossing, etc. At that point you are not under any throttle pressure so it really doesn't matter what the air temp is. As the vehicle starts moving forward, the cooler outside air is pushed into the filter area and forces whatever air that is in there into the engine and is replaced by the cooler outside air."
I think gadget got 5hp with the plug off..... Or he was told its good for 5hp from an afe rep.

Something about the air swirling around the entire filter element iirc.... I don't care tbh, just throw in it out there in case u wanted to search for it.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #125
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt [again, not WILL]
STiLL WILL's Tacoma Gallery
Got this installed on my '13 a few weekends ago. I opted for the Pro Dry S filter. Definitely woke up the TRD s/c I have on it. Loved the sealed design, and the fitment was spot on.

My only complaint would be the flimsy emissions pump relocation bracket....I can see it getting weaker over time and letting the bottom of the pump strike the top of the solenoids on the passenger side header rail.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #126
NBBAZ is on a distinguished road
NBBAZ's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone running this AFe CIA with a snorkel, like Safari or Airflow? Is it possible?
Old 07-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #127
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBBAZ View Post
Anyone running this AFe CIA with a snorkel, like Safari or Airflow? Is it possible?

Not with a snorkel but a ram air scoop by volant super easy to do
Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #129
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=sdoheny;7147213]I spoke to an AFE engineer about this and he wrote me the following....

"...The only time that you may see any hot air from the engine compartment is when you are at an idle, waiting for the traffic light to turn, train crossing, etc. At that point you are not under any throttle pressure so it really doesn't matter what the air temp is. As the vehicle starts moving forward, the cooler outside air is pushed into the filter area and forces whatever air that is in there into the engine and is replaced by the cooler outside air."[/QUOTE]

This explains why I run a regular intake.

The claims of so called "cold air intakes" are highly overrated. When your vehicle is moving, there's a hurricane of ambient temperature air flooding the engine compartment.