Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

thinking about getting a S/C

Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #21
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnick View Post
Colton I thought the initial install of the supercharger was ok, but just ok. I did the same thing your about to do with a 2.8 pulley, it was better. But then I did the long tubes urd y-pipe and most importantly the UCON. I'm making about 6.5 psi with WOT. I would like to see more. Like you I think its the altitude. I'm at 4300 ft. I think after my warranty runs out I'm going for the 2.5" and the 7th injector. I'll probably try the 7th before I shave down the snout. If your going to do the 7th you defiantly need the UCON.
I have all of the supporting mods except for a new Y Pipe, but my stock ones has the cats cut out so I am part way there. I don't understand how you're reading 6.5 lbs with the 2.8" and supporting mods at 4300ft... I would think you would only be showing maybe 5.5, but what do I know haha. The only reason I see for running full ECU control is to run the 7th and/or larger injectors. I am going to drop in the 2.8" and see what happens to both my performance and my AFR. I will then do the FPR mod and either the 2.7" pulley or the NST lowers which will allow me to get my fuel trims closer to where they need to be by strictly making mechanical changes. My current 10.0 AFR at WOT is leaving a lot of power on the table. I will make changes from there depending on if I feel that the power isn't enough. I am not completely sold on the UCON as of yet unfortunately... The fact that I hear about bugs on XRU from different guys occasionally and the fact that they are not in full production yet makes me question the stability of the product and makes me wonder if they are still sort of in the development stage. The price tag of $1700 doesn't really have me knocking down the door to pick one up either.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #22
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Bolton, I heard some things about ucon to mang, not good and im not sold
Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #23
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Simple mechanical tuning is always best, until circumstances require something more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I have all of the supporting mods except for a new Y Pipe, but my stock ones has the cats cut out so I am part way there. I don't understand how you're reading 6.5 lbs with the 2.8" and supporting mods at 4300ft... I would think you would only be showing maybe 5.5, but what do I know haha. The only reason I see for running full ECU control is to run the 7th and/or larger injectors. I am going to drop in the 2.8" and see what happens to both my performance and my AFR. I will then do the FPR mod and either the 2.7" pulley or the NST lowers which will allow me to get my fuel trims closer to where they need to be by strictly making mechanical changes. My current 10.0 AFR at WOT is leaving a lot of power on the table. I will make changes from there depending on if I feel that the power isn't enough. I am not completely sold on the UCON as of yet unfortunately... The fact that I hear about bugs on XRU from different guys occasionally and the fact that they are not in full production yet makes me question the stability of the product and makes me wonder if they are still sort of in the development stage. The price tag of $1700 doesn't really have me knocking down the door to pick one up either.
You can do the combo for ~9 psi as long as you use the FPR mod, while at see level. Watching your AFRs at high elevation, will determine if you need to remove the FPR mod or not.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #24
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I went with the TRD because I was disappointed with my truck's performance on the interstate mainly. The TRD kit gets into boost a few hundred RPM sooner than the URD kit and the initial investment to get boosted isn't as much either. The thing that sucks is that I am barely making 2 lbs at this elevation so the gains aren't as noticeable. I'm moving to a lower elevation soon though which will make it easier to reap the benefits. However, I get much smoother power and have way better highway manners. Do I think it's worth 4k? Hell no but you gotta pay to play right? I'm putting a little smaller pulley on in about a week which should be a nice addition.

It took me two days of semi commitment to the project. Had to pick up a couple new tools from time to time as well... I could do it in a day if I did it again, but if its your first time tearing the truck apart I'd budget for two.
your actually getting about 5.5 lbs of boost. you have the same issue as me, you live at high altitude. and the other reason for the low boost number is that your using a boost gauge with absolute readings. absolute references sealevel pressure. my gauge is relative meaning it references the pressure where your at. also known as Gauge pressure.
the good news is if you add 3 more lbs of boost with a smaller pulley youll be getting the same or similar power as a tacoma with the same SC at sealevel and you wont need any additional fuel upgrades.
the bad news is if you drive to a lower elevation you will be over boosted and could cause your truck to run lean.

i am about to install a quick change pulley for this reason. run the smaller pulley at home and the larger pulley when i travel to lower elevations (which is very rare)

at 6500 feet in colorado on a cold day i can get about 6 lbs of boost, otherwise i get 5.5 and that is relative gauge pressure. (running the 2.85 pulley)

believe it or not your getting about 60 more HP than stock with the stock pulley
Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
your actually getting about 5.5 lbs of boost. you have the same issue as me, you live at high altitude. and the other reason for the low boost number is that your using a boost gauge with absolute readings. absolute references sealevel pressure. my gauge is relative meaning it references the pressure where your at. also known as Gauge pressure.
the good news is if you add 3 more lbs of boost with a smaller pulley youll be getting the same or similar power as a tacoma with the same SC at sealevel and you wont need any additional fuel upgrades.
the bad news is if you drive to a lower elevation you will be over boosted and could cause your truck to run lean.

i am about to install a quick change pulley for this reason. run the smaller pulley at home and the larger pulley when i travel to lower elevations (which is very rare)

at 6500 feet in colorado on a cold day i can get about 6 lbs of boost, otherwise i get 5.5 and that is relative gauge pressure. (running the 2.85 pulley)

believe it or not your getting about 60 more HP than stock with the stock pulley
The 2.8 pulley is pretty stable on the reflash and stock injectors at all elevations so that is my mext move.

I think I am maybe making 4 lbs, but certainly not 5.5. The supercharger boosts the air coming in based on a ratio (which I had but can't seem to find again) so the less dense air is only compressed the same amount. I can't remember my manifold pressure loss at this elevation off the top of my head... on my phone or I could look it up.

So yeah you are correct on the more boost part. If I were to create 4 more pounds absolute here which would be like another 6 at elevation I would be at the same performance numbers as a stock boosted truck at sea level. When I got down there though my injectors would get maxed out in a hurry and I would be in a world of shit. (I know you know all this but I wrote it out for those who don't)