Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

My truck IS "bogging" down.. (Horrible power loss & MPG's)

Old 05-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Is this something I should be looking into?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...ta/tacoma.html
Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
Bmack04 is on a distinguished road

Bmack04's Tacoma Gallery
Due do the intermittent nature of your problem, I would not suspect the converter is clogged unless if you smack it with your fist it rattles badly the catalyst inside could be loose, very unlikely. Did you replace the MAF sensor or just clean it? You stated you have replaced plug wires a while ago, did you use good parts or the cheap Autozone red ones? What is the issue with the charcoal canister?
Old 05-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Clean TB/MAF/Air filter.

If that doesn't work....

Seafoam.

If that doesn't work....

Change spark plugs or at least re-gap all of them.

If all else doesn't work....

Take off the catalytic converter for a day and see if it may be clogged.

If all that fails start taking offers on the truck.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #24
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
Clean TB/MAF/Air filter.

If that doesn't work....

Seafoam.

If that doesn't work....

Can't just throw away a gem like that .
Old 05-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmack04 View Post
Due do the intermittent nature of your problem, I would not suspect the converter is clogged unless if you smack it with your fist it rattles badly the catalyst inside could be loose, very unlikely. Did you replace the MAF sensor or just clean it? You stated you have replaced plug wires a while ago, did you use good parts or the cheap Autozone red ones? What is the issue with the charcoal canister?
Right, Ill be sure to give it a good when I get off work
I just cleaned it, thoroughly. How can I tell if its gone bad?
I used 100% toyota spark plugs.
Im getting a code thrown on my truck that the charcoal canister is going bad, or is already bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
Clean TB/MAF/Air filter.

If that doesn't work....

Seafoam.

If that doesn't work....

Seafoam was my next idea, Im going to check the exhaust system as well
Old 05-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #26
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJALLDAY702 View Post

Oh by the way. I meant no offence. I am just trying to learn about this stuff, just wanted to know where your mind was going with that one
Have had intermittent boggin when coil on plug coil was starting to go bad without it throwing CEL or misfire codes on a car I had before. And the only time I had a cat be clogged enough to cause the vehicle to bog it was glowing red and was not intermittent. Good luck with it.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #27
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
I've been fighting mine for years, next is replacing fuel filter/pump with a walbro one from URd
Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #28
U MAD? OH U MAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Have had intermittent boggin when coil on plug coil was starting to go bad without it throwing CEL or misfire codes on a car I had before. And the only time I had a cat be clogged enough to cause the vehicle to bog it was glowing red and was not intermittent. Good luck with it.
Got it! Ill do more research on that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
I've been fighting mine for years, next is replacing fuel filter/pump with a walbro one from URd
let me know how it goes!
Does this sound like the same thing you are experiencing?
Old 05-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #29
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
No power

Check coil, wires, then your cat. Converter.
Take 02 sensor off before cat, and take for drive.
See how your power is then.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #30
U MAD? OH U MAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Man Marty View Post
Check coil, wires, then your cat. Converter.
Take 02 sensor off before cat, and take for drive.
See how your power is then.
What exactly should I be looking for when I check the Coils?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #31
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
i doubt its the charcoal cannister....mines toast and i get the codes too...but i dont have any bogging
Old 05-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #32
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Truck bogging

Go to youtube,type how to check coil on plug. Pick the videos by realfixesrealfast. He does a great job of showing u what u need.
If there is still a problem check your cat. When they break up or start to clog, it will give all of the symtoms u have. One last thing, at no point are u throwing bad codes? Check engine light? Keep us informed. Good luck.

QUOTE=RJALLDAY702;6888391]What exactly should I be looking for when I check the Coils?[/QUOTE]
Check the charcoal canistor vent tube, and filter.
Do a search in TW for charcoal canistor. Read all threads
Old 05-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #33
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
I forgot to mention this earlier, but after you clean the throttle body, disconnect the battery for a good 10 minutes. That way you reset the learned parameters in the ecu.

Un-bolt the TB and you can thoroughly get to both sides of the butterfly, flap, TB valve, or whichever you would prefer to call it. Lol.

Unless the charcoal canister is cracked (you would know best) it could be a vacuum leak or connector causing it issue.

A clogged fuel filter can assist in bogging, but not near as bad as clogged cats. At the same time, if the ecu cannot go through all of its warm up cycles due to say a really dirty TB, that can have serious side effects as well.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #34
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
To bad you cant get the cannister without lifting the bed or dropping the tank
Old 05-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #35

Update?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #36
OlDirtyTaco is on a distinguished road
OlDirtyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Im having similar issues - started all of a sudden last night. Serious bogging, can't go more than 25 MPH, misfiring, glowing red cat. Cleaned my MAF really well this morning - did nothing. What's next? After reading this, I will go clean my TB, air filter housing etc. Should I take out the o2 sensor and run it? Should I drop the cat and run it? Thanks for all the great info so far - any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #37
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlDirtyTaco View Post
Im having similar issues - started all of a sudden last night. Serious bogging, can't go more than 25 MPH, misfiring, glowing red cat. Cleaned my MAF really well this morning - did nothing. What's next? After reading this, I will go clean my TB, air filter housing etc. Should I take out the o2 sensor and run it? Should I drop the cat and run it? Thanks for all the great info so far - any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know this might sound simplistic...

...but check for a vacuum leak. Bogging down and hot cat are indications of an intake air leak, like a hose to the intake manifold that's disconnected or cracked.

Don't ask me how I know...

Greg
Old 12-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #39
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlDirtyTaco View Post
How many miles are on your truck?

What Tooter said is very possible as well.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #40
stroked383z has a spectacular aura aboutstroked383z has a spectacular aura about
stroked383z's Tacoma Gallery
A glowing red cat is probably the cat clogged up. Are all the cats glowing, or just one?