Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

My truck IS "bogging" down.. (Horrible power loss & MPG's)

Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
My truck IS "bogging" down.. (Horrible power loss & MPG's)

Hey guys, I come to you in total confusion..

About a year ago I noticed an extreme drop in my trucks power/tourue as well as an extreme drop in MPGs.. The weird thing is.. it only happens a couple times in a day. When I notice it happining (Need to pass someone, so it get OTG and the power is just not there.) Ill shift my truck into neutral and rev it to find that at about 2k RPMS my truck bog's itself really bad & very noticeably (for about 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) revs).. After I let it roll in neutral for a bit I rev it again and it rev's normal..

And as said before my truck seems to be getting shit gas mileage (worse than what normally would be for the 35s)

Any thoughts or ideas? Please share.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Maf, throttle body, air filter, clean? spark plugs and wires?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Any codes thrown? MAF sensor clean? Throttle body clean? Crap in the fuel maybe (probably not if it's been happening for a year)?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
First off, any mods that you have done "performance-wise" shortly before you started noticing the issue aka any splicing int ot eh stock harness? How many miles on the truck? When's the last time you replaced your spark plugs?

The things coming to mind for me are fuel filter clogged, bad ECU connections, throttle body not functioning properly, bad MAF, spark plugs... Hmm I need more info.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Maf, throttle body, air filter, clean? spark plugs and wires?
Just did the MAF a few days ago.. Same problem. Going to get to the throttle body at the end of the day. Spark plugs were done 6k ago. What do you mean by wires?

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Any codes thrown? MAF sensor clean? Throttle body clean? Crap in the fuel maybe (probably not if it's been happening for a year)?
No related codes, I am having trouble with my Charcoal canister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
First off, any mods that you have done "performance-wise" shortly before you started noticing the issue aka any splicing int ot eh stock harness? How many miles on the truck? When's the last time you replaced your spark plugs?
The things coming to mind for me are fuel filter clogged, bad ECU connections, throttle body not functioning properly, bad MAF, spark plugs... Hmm I need more info.
The only thing I can think of is exhaust. Flowmaster Super 40. Going to be replacing that soon to see if thats the culprit. My truck has roughly 67k.
Can a bad charcoal canister do something like this?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJALLDAY702 View Post
Just did the MAF a few days ago.. Same problem. Going to get to the throttle body at the end of the day. Spark plugs were done 6k ago. What do you mean by wires?
Wires going to the shock plug thingies... Doesn't seem to be as much of an issue on newer vehicles, but there might be a poor connection somewhere.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
what mpg are you getting? I get 13ish on 33s
Old 05-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Colton basically nailed it. i had an older car whose RPM's stumbled in a way you describe but never threw a code. the wires looked fine too, but i replaced them and it cured the issue.

your wires might be fine as they are newish, but check all the connections.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
stroked383z has a spectacular aura aboutstroked383z has a spectacular aura about
stroked383z's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel filter, cat converter clogging up?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
U MAD? OH U MAD

Quote:
Colton basically nailed it. i had an older car whose RPM's stumbled in a way you describe but never threw a code. the wires looked fine too, but i replaced them and it cured the issue.

Right, So check all wires and where they connect to. Will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked383z View Post
Fuel filter, cat converter clogging up?
The charcoal canister is going bad. How can I narrow it down to my cats?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
Vivid Illumination

Quote:

Yeah, new ignition coils are less susceptible to damage and wear over old ones as everything is less open to the elements.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Smells like coil issue, and not from the wiring harness supplying the juice.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
U MAD? OH U MAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Smells like coil issue, and not from the wiring harness supplying the juice.
What brings you to this conclusion?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
What brings you to this conclusion?
he can smell it.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
U MAD? OH U MAD

Quote:
he can smell it.
I just lol'd
+1
Old 05-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
lol at charcoal canister too...........
Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
U MAD? OH U MAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Seems to me something similar to what Nofords was just dealing with.

Clean your throttle body thoroughly. Including opening the butterfly and cleaning the backside.

Next, how many miles does your truck have?
Roger that. Will do, Im not to familiar with the butterfly valve.. any tips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
lol at charcoal canister too...........
Oh by the way. I meant no offence. I am just trying to learn about this stuff, just wanted to know where your mind was going with that one
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNWILDGUY View Post
If none of these things fix your problem one thing that it might also be is your catalytic converter starting to go bad if your mileage is starting to get up there.. Usually when they do you start to feel a major power difference like it is getting clogged or even notice a rattle in them sometimes.
i have 67k on my truck. Nope start up sounds very normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
On second thought, it's your 6" spacer lift. You should probably take that off. o_O
But thats how I get all the bro hoez