Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Intermittent Single Cylinder Misfire

Old 05-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Mice can be a problem or if you live some place where there is a lot of moisture that can also cause a problem. When you pulled the spark plug out of cyl 6 did you look inside to see if there is any residue and or anything that looks out of place compared to the others?

Really, it's just too hard to diagnose online with out actually being there to see and hear it in person. Your best bet, which you have already started on is by checking the easier things like the spark plug, spark plug boots, wires, electrical lines, etc.

As someone mentioned before, try swapping spark plugs, injectors from the other cylinders. It is very rare that a spark plug would misfire and most of the time it's the plug wires or injectors that are at fault, but if there are rodents chewing lines and nesting, that's never a good sign.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #22
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Where did you find that?? I didn't come across anything regarding the fuel filter in the factory service interval pamphlet...

Pulled all the plugs (photo to follow), cleaned MAF and TB, and did an oil change. I think there is some fouling on the injector as the #6 plug came out whiter than all the rest, therefore hotter than the rest.
I'm going to be pulling the injectors out of my Tacoma in the near future to install high flow injectors for my TRD blower, so I'll probably put one of those into the 4R and see what happens w/ this set of plugs.

Thanks for the ideas guys!!
I looked and looked. I actually couldn't find it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Fuel filter is in the tank. Not user serviceable, and supposed to be a "ifetime filter.
You're right about the service-ability, per Toyota. I read years ago on the URD website: http://urdusa.com/Fuel-Upgrades-Fuel...duct_info.html

and have basically followed that. I feel a bit foolish having gone by that all of these years. However it is actually more foolish that Toyota doesn't even have a service interval on their 1GR fuel filter.

Think about that. Would you drive a "life time" on an air filter? How about a the oil filter? "Life time" is rather vague anyway...

It is just common sense that all filters be service-able.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #23
Resident SUV racer
Lucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Lucario Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Fuel filter is in the tank. Not user serviceable, and supposed to be a "lifetime filter.
black stuff is gas after 29,xxx miles.

In these pics you can see we modified the fuel bowl to work with the upgraded fuel pump on my truck. For increased fueling and the ability to service the fuel filter at a sensible interval.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #25
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario Runner View Post
black stuff is gas after 29,xxx miles.
I know what gas looks like in a tank, and am well aware of the shit it can collect. However, (in my case), purchasing fuel from a reputable company can reduce the amount of crap in the fuel. I haven't had to change a fuel filter in one of my vehicles (excluding watercraft) since 1995.That being said, a friend of mine, who buys fuel at the most run down, cheapest stations, cant seem to go more than 20,000-40,000 before burning up fuel pumps. However, it seems silly that manufactures don't throw a changeable inline filter in the vehicles.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #26
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
So if I am understanding this correctly, 2nd gens do not have an external fuel filter that is bolted to the block some where?

Just to be clear, OP is having a single issue with his motor, not the whole thing.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #27
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
So if I am understanding this correctly, 2nd gens do not have an external fuel filter that is bolted to the block some where?

Just to be clear, OP is having a single issue with his motor, not the whole thing.
Both of those statments are true. There is a filter on the pump and a line out of the tank and that isit, unless you upgrade fuelpumps and add an outside filter.

The #6 cyl is the only place that I have a problem.

The plugs and fuel cleaning helped a little bit, but the misfire continued. Toyota diagnosed a bad iginition coil on the #6 cylinder and wanted 426 dollars to repair it.

Instead - I ordered the part from RockAuto for 60 bucks and I'll bolt it in tonight....Hopefully it'll be all set after that. RockAuto RULES...If you need smple parts for repairs - Check them out and make sure to use (and share) the discount codes...
Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #34
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Yeah...I let the whole system settle. But even before a battery reset I fired it up and did nit notice the hiccup in the start or the rough feel. I think the wife mighta been imagining it...
So she wasn't imagining it. It got worse, was taken to the dealer again. they blamed the NEW coil being faulty and had her buy another from them. I had her bring it home, swapped coils around, and the problem remained on the #6 Cyl.
Took it to another shop. They cleaned a chunk of carbon off of the plug and said they should be good to go. Still not right. They took it back, did a fuel injector service, and it seems to have worked out the problem.

It makes sense that an injector was some trash in it would manifest that problem - Flooded cylinder on start up w/ the extra carbon on the plugs makes for rough starts and proper operation under load.

Hopefully they are right and this is the end of it. Next will be the water pump....
Old 08-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #36
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Helped my neighbor with his Camry last weekend. Was having a misfire code, and car wouldn't even stay started.

Thought he had bad gas that was full of water. Ended up being his fuel filter was full of crud after 150K miles.

This is what the fuel looked like.

^^^ That is terribly nasty.

Changed out the filter, and the car would start and run. Also ended up having a bad coil as well. So we put a new one in as well.

But let it be known, that the car wouldn't even run until after the filter was changed.

Figured that you would like to see that.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #39
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Were hydrocarbons found in the overflow, or radiator coolant?

Are there bubbles noticed while the engine is running?
Coolant in the cylinder after running and then sitting over night. Also found a small leak in the radiator while they were doing the rebuild.
But it's back and right as rain now.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #40
AJO432 is on a distinguished road

AJO432's Tacoma Gallery
My '03 started this... New coil pack fixed it.