Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Intermittent Single Cylinder Misfire

Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Intermittent Single Cylinder Misfire

Wifeies 4R (1GR-FE) started rough the other day, Ultragauge threw a pending 0306 (Cyl #6 Misfire), then threw the CEL later in the day. Cleared all and it seemed fine, then started a bit rough this morning.
Wife also swears she heard a mouse in the dash, but nothing else has failed.

Little shy of needing plugs (26k) but I'm gunna do those, TB and MAF cleaning, and some fuel system cleaner.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Mouse in the dash huh? There was a guy once who started havinh all sorts of problems. Ended up pulling his radio, I think radio, and looking at the harness. Chewed and mangled wires everywhere. I hope for you guys sake, that it wasn't a mouse or rat.

What year T4R?
2004. It acted about like this when I bought it, and calmed right down w/ a good engine groom, so I'm gunna try it again. If that fixes it-Then my concern is why the engine is eating plugs so fast.
We'll see about the mouse thing...I took the dash about 1/2 apart and can't find any of the telltale signs...
Old 05-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How many miles are on it?

Have you ever replaced the fuel filter/pump?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks yet?
Vacuum leak, I agree. Pump/Filter.....That would create more miss fires other than only on 2 cylinders. And at 26k miles, the assembly should be fine.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I would start with checking the spark plug connections, then the fuel injector connections, while also looking for vacuum leaks.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Vacuum leak, I agree. Pump/Filter.....That would create more miss fires other than only on 2 cylinders. And at 26k miles, the assembly should be fine.
Total mileage is 140k...It's 26k since I bought it and dropped in new plugs.
Would a vacuum leak affect only one cylinder?? ( Never troubleshot one before...)
Old 05-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Total mileage is 140k...It's 26k since I bought it and dropped in new plugs.
Would a vacuum leak affect only one cylinder?? ( Never troubleshot one before...)
Not that I know of. Most times, a leak creates a "roaming" miss fire. If the mis is only on the 1 cylinder, it could be an injector. That's the most common cause for a single cyl. miss.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #9
BlazeTaco is on a distinguished road

BlazeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Well if your wife's 4 runner is similar to the tacoma's control scheme all of you computer controls are up under the dash on the passenger side. And if you really do have some mice in it I would check for exposed wires especially for cylinder 6 injector and ignition coil. Pull the number 6 coil and make sure the tip of the plug is not black or corroded and the same with the coil connections and tip for the spark plug. Another possibility is that you have a burnt valve, but it is probably the less likely situation.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
140k and no fuel filter change?

Like Chriss mentioned, if it is one cylinder, then it likely won't be long before it is multiple cylinders, due to clogged injectors. They should be serviced. A good injector cleaner might help, but it won't do anything about the fuel filter.

Also if she hasn't already, try a quality brand 91 or 93. Dependant on your area.

I do know this, I had a repeat misfire cyl 1, on my Subi. Changed all sorts of stuff. 200k miles. Had vacuum leaks. Repaired. Still did it, until I changed the pump. That however will show its signs of degradation, in the higher RPMs, as it cannot keep up with increased fuel demands.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For point of reference, the service interval for the fuel filter is 30k miles.
Where did you find that?? I didn't come across anything regarding the fuel filter in the factory service interval pamphlet...

Pulled all the plugs (photo to follow), cleaned MAF and TB, and did an oil change. I think there is some fouling on the injector as the #6 plug came out whiter than all the rest, therefore hotter than the rest.
I'm going to be pulling the injectors out of my Tacoma in the near future to install high flow injectors for my TRD blower, so I'll probably put one of those into the 4R and see what happens w/ this set of plugs.

Thanks for the ideas guys!!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Depending on how long you are going to be until your new injectors, you could try just swapping that injector with another on her T4R.
It'll only be a couple weeks, max and I don,t want to do that work that many times over...so I'll let it ride unless e problem continues to manifest or gets worse.

Quote:
Which way is the front of the truck based off of those plugs? And which side is driver side?
Bottom of the photo is the front of the engine so driver side is on the right.
Top right plug is the #6 plug...
Old 05-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #19

Quote:
For point of reference, the service interval for the fuel filter is 30k miles.
Fuel filter is in the tank. Not user serviceable, and supposed to be a "ifetime filter.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Attachment 214214
Aligned in positions they came out of. #6 is the right rear plug-Extra white.
Off topic comment:

Is it just me, or does the gap on the upper left plug look a lot wider than the rest?