1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question about muffler pipe measurment and inlet/outlet (opinion on flowmaster too)

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by StreetTaco4Me, May 27, 2013.

1. May 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    StreetTaco4Me

StreetTaco4Me [OP] Taco Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Ventura County, So. Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2001 4runner SR5
    looking to replace shocks and add spacer lift...I do not off road at all just like the height of a lift
    I searched, I swear...so thank you for taking time to help...I need some quick advice want to place order today.

I just picked up a 2013 dbl cab v6 4x2 sb sport...I want to to a muffler swap...stock is too quiet...want a deep throatty rumble...does not have to disturb the neighborhood but would like more sound for sure...do not want serious cabin noise but a little is ok.

what is the pipe measurement...it gives me options

am I correct in getting single in/single out 2.5"?

both of the following have a check mark for v6, looking at either:

flowmaster 40 delta flow
    flowmaster 50 delta flow

Is a muffler shop the best place to have it welded for install (not sure if my city has one) or can I take it to any mechanic shop?

2. May 27, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    Flowmaster let their patent a couple years ago and flowtech makes the same thing at half price or so. 2.5 is the diameter but I think a lot of ppl go 2.25 and have muffler shop flare them out or tail pipe (if that's possible) in for a tighter fit so there is a little less welding.

3. May 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Slowmaster LOL

4. May 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    StreetTaco4Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Ventura County, So. Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2001 4runner SR5
    looking to replace shocks and add spacer lift...I do not off road at all just like the height of a lift
    also was looking at magnaflow...but confused as I have no idea what each of their mufflers is designed for...is there a magnaflow that is deep and throaty not ricey...do not want any rice sound at all...want all throat

OK I just measured the tacoma stock muffler:

21.5 inches...front of the muffler has a pipe entering on the high part...back of the muffler has a pipe exiting low...

do I need an offset?

also noticing that nothing fits the same as the 21.5 total inches shoul I get one a little longer or shorter or does it matter?

man I am confused and could use some help

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  5. Jun 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    StreetTaco4Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Ventura County, So. Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2001 4runner SR5
    I ended up going with flowmaster 50 delta flow...got the 2.25 single in/out offset/offset...I hope I did that right because the front of the muffler has a pipe entering on the high part...back of the muffler has a pipe exiting low...I am going to get it installed tomorrow for $60...$100 for the muffler shipped...so I might get out of this for only $160 installed...that would be nice

6. Jun 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    StreetTaco4Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Ventura County, So. Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2001 4runner SR5
    Just got the Flowmaster 50 delta flow installed...sounds exactly like what I wanted...surprisingly loud at first but that is just because the stock is so quite...good flow no power loss...settled down a rough idle that I had from the factory...sounded great did not hear any drone...per se it is a little louder at around 2k rpm but that makes sense it is when the engine is working...also if you wanted it quite you would not have changed mufflers right?

I order 2.25" offset/offset...I should have order center in/offset out to make it easier to install...the shop had to cut some of the stock piping in front of the muffler to get it to fit properly...but they did it without issue.

I called around to a few shops these guys quoted me $55 replaced and welded and I paid $55 installed and welded...good deal

Products Discussed in

To Top